Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Went to subaru dealer warrenty

Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 2013 Subaru WRX
Went to subaru dealer warrenty

I had a small chat with people at the Subaru dealer and talked mainly about warranty. What will void and will not. They were telling me nothing can void my warranty with them unless you start messing with the engine. But an intake and bov can void it but you can easily remove and put back stock so therefore cannot void warranty. Even coilovers cannot void warranty. Flashing your car with the cobb accessport will also not void your warranty as they told me just flash it and put it back to stock. The dealer will not look into your car for a tune. So now its up to yourself what you want to do.

What do you think? True? False?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
Well, true and false. They know what words to use... those parts cannot void your warranty, however, a warranty claim can and will be denied due to those parts... you will still have a warranty, they just wont fix your car...
Old 03-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Only 2 things will VOID a warranty:
1. Removing the stock gauge cluster
2. Flood/Salvage title

Mods don't void you warranty but can cause warranty claim denials if that part can in any possible way be associated with the repair. Yes, flashing your car with an AP can still be detected, even if you flash it back to stock (BTW, that and returning to stock is fraud).
Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 2013 Subaru WRX
Originally Posted by Brfatal
Only 2 things will VOID a warranty:
1. Removing the stock gauge cluster
2. Flood/Salvage title

Mods don't void you warranty but can cause warranty claim denials if that part can in any possible way be associated with the repair. Yes, flashing your car with an AP can still be detected, even if you flash it back to stock (BTW, that and returning to stock is fraud).
Hmmm.. That does make more sense. Thanks! He was also talking about a piggyback tune? Im confused on that. Ever heard?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX, '13 STi
As some people said before, dealers rarely void warranties but they can deny warranty coverage. In the instance that they deny coverage, the dealer has to prove that you made a modification or installed a modification that caused the issue.

My transmission suffered from bad synchro and I didn't have time to revert my car from Stage 2 to stock (TBE, up pipe). Brought the car to the dealer, and my transmission was rebuilt under warranty. They didn't mention anything about the engine. I'm sure they could've made some excuse but my dealer was cool about it.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
Read your owners manual regaurding warranty information. Don't listen to sales or service people. You have the manual in your car and you also signed a contract when buying a car. Its up to you on whether or not to mod the car and what you choose and how to go about getting warranty claims. Also its how you represent yourself to the dealership. If you come up nice with a positive attitude then they will be more then happy to help you, but come up with a huge attitude and act like you know everything there is to know about the automotive industry then be prepared to get your *** handed to you.