i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/)
-   -   Tuned by Ed...testament to his quality (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/tuned-ed-testament-his-quality-193779/)

PlatNmRex 10-28-2008 01:23 AM

Tuned by Ed...testament to his quality

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all,
I have the second car Ed ever tuned -next to his own-. His original tune was on my 2.0L '02 WRX with only inercooler hoses to the stock top mount and a full turboback. I originally hit about 220AWHP and 223AWTQ on 91 oct.
3.5 Years later after driving that tune hard and with 82,000 miles I decided to go much further on the 2.0 91 oct setup. APS FMIC, VF34, STI Pinks, Walbro, Crucial DP/MP, catback, and Grimmspeed PnP hi-flow pipe PNP headers.
During the tune Ed is the complete professional. We started out at his shop where he and Adam completely checked over my car and helped with a couple of clamps insuring the full safety of the process. He spent at least three hours on my car even putting up with my neverending questions.
The tune: Wow. I had no idea a 2.0L could feel so powerful. From what I had heard about the 2.0 I was supposed to be ready for no torque and all HP on a bigger turbo. But what I felt was a slew of torque pushing the car up to redline with the boost sounding nothing short of a hurricane. Now instead of shifting into 3rd gear being the thrill, instead shifting into 4th is what it's about--- almost a bit intimidating. Driving the car home as the ambient temps cooled my Rex felt like a true race car. So much smooth power. Cheer's to his reliability and detail.
-Brian Fogarty

sebastiansally 10-28-2008 01:36 AM

i know ..Ed got skills for tuning the car...iam suppose to go back and get retune but i just dont have time and plus iam getting rid of the car so..i just dont think is worth it lol

SpADeZ_WRX 10-28-2008 02:02 AM

[B]Damn good tune!!![/B]

Sorry I didnt swing by tonight Brian, didnt finish my car till 1230 tonight.

Text me tomorrow, maybe I can run by your work to drop off the Bolt for you.

subie OCD 10-28-2008 04:09 PM

Nice, that hp line just keeps going up!

STI RUSH 10-28-2008 04:21 PM

ED is the man!

03_Impreza_Al 10-28-2008 04:47 PM

its got vtec

PlatNmRex 10-29-2008 02:56 PM

Hah....oh yah.... I also intstalled V-Tech heads right before the tune.
Really though- in addition to EQ's tuning skill I think I can thank the APS Front Mount a bit for the HP increase all the way to 7000 Rpm's.
Been so busy with work I haven't driven my car since the tune!

EQ Tuning 10-31-2008 09:27 AM

Thanks for the review Brian! It was a bit of a trip tuning your car again... really brought back some memories. I'm glad to see the engine is holding up great after all these years and is still making great power!

Its odd, but the past couple of weeks have been all about the bugeyes for some reason. For a while I didn't tune a single bugeye for almost 3 months and now its almost all I've seen for a couple weeks. Makes me miss my bugeye a bit :)

medicSTi 11-05-2008 06:41 PM

Ed has a new "I love Ed" thread every couple days!! lol its hella funny

PlatNmRex 11-06-2008 12:02 PM

I love Ed when he tunes my car and makes it run smooth....not when I'm trying to E-Mail him though : P
+1 for his new shop and having a home base!

SK 11-08-2008 01:49 PM

Another great tune by Ed. Excellent power considering it's a 2.0 & relatively high mileage.

BTW, what was the ambient temp?

PlatNmRex 11-08-2008 03:51 PM

84 degrees. Asked Ed and said no correction in those numbers for temperature -So numbers and dyno are based on the 84 degree weather.
What really surprises me is that the car really feels nearly as strong in warm weather as it does in cold. Shows how Ed really tuned the car well to the Front Mount. No heat soak : )
-Brian

SK 11-08-2008 04:46 PM

Ah, nice and warm. When I hooked up with Ed, it was 94. An hour before we finished it topped 96!

Yeah, Ed is an outstanding tuner. It's no exaggeration when people say he's "the man" because he really does good work.