Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

My FLI (Fine Line Imports) Experience (posted 02-23-2006)

Old 02-23-2006, 05:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: stock 04 wrx sedan
Originally Posted by FLIWRX
FLI Official Response

1. The motor is fine. If there had been something wrong with the motor that we had done we would have fixed it for free. Crawford verified with our 55 data logs from the dyno runs we performed that we DID NOT damage the motor at all.

2. It was Jeffrey’s idea to have another shop finish the car after the motor was returned from Crawford and we agreed since we no longer felt comfortable working on his car due to his vicious and vindictive attitude. He’s only complaining about us not finishing the car because he doesn’t want to pay someone else to do it. He wants us to do it for free.

3. To all businesses watching DANGER. Beware of this customer. He is out to get something for nothing and we are not his first victims. He proudly told us early on about how he tried to scam a free motor out of Subaru of America. He told one of our other customers outside our shop that he always treats the guys that work on his car like crap.

Jeffrey is entitled to his opinion about us and we wish the next shop he goes to the best of luck.
so basically your not gonna work with him on getting this resolved because he had another shop to a compression/leakdown on the motor you put together???

says alot for your shop guys if thats true
Old 02-23-2006, 05:40 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
ok this is turning out to be a he said she said pissing contest...jefferey if you want some real evidence id suggest bringing the stuff to a 3rd party that you know is honest/reliable and is good to deal with (your choice of course) and get the parts evaluated. nothing entirely against FLi...but of course the customer is going to argue over the situation if he/she cant evaluate the parts themselves or lacks the knowledge. thats why it is always good to get a 2nd opinion and not to always take someone's word for it unless you seriously trust them IMO
Old 02-23-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Long_Travel_WRX
so basically your not gonna work with him on getting this resolved because he had another shop to a compression/leakdown on the motor you put together???

+1... sounds like insecurity to me....im not trying to instigate anything but a shop should generally help the customer the best they can to provide the best experience possible
Old 02-23-2006, 05:50 PM

Car Info: 2002 M3
No power with my stg 3 setup? So a 12 second pass on a tranny not meant for the drag strip must be no power huh? Oh and I'm selling it partly because I'm moving and need cash and I'm getting parts together for my 2.5 swap ...
Old 02-23-2006, 05:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by FLIWRX
FLI Official Response

1. The motor is fine. If there had been something wrong with the motor that we had done we would have fixed it for free. Crawford verified with our 55 data logs from the dyno runs we performed that we DID NOT damage the motor at all.

2. It was Jeffrey’s idea to have another shop finish the car after the motor was returned from Crawford and we agreed since we no longer felt comfortable working on his car due to his vicious and vindictive attitude. He’s only complaining about us not finishing the car because he doesn’t want to pay someone else to do it. He wants us to do it for free.

3. To all businesses watching DANGER. Beware of this customer. He is out to get something for nothing and we are not his first victims. He proudly told us early on about how he tried to scam a free motor out of Subaru of America. He told one of our other customers outside our shop that he always treats the guys that work on his car like crap.

Jeffrey is entitled to his opinion about us and we wish the next shop he goes to the best of luck.
I was waiting for you to chime in... How's the popcorn?
I have already stated the motor is fine

Your right I don't want to pay someone else. I ALREADY PAID YOU!!!

I have no knowledge of a scam I pulled on SOA. My motor blew at 27,000miles. Apparently warranty and scam are one in the same at FLI.

I do business with everyone. I am certain thier comments, although not needed, would negate you business beware statement.

At this point it is pretty much pointless to try to discredit me. You made this bed, now sleep in it.

Last edited by ipozestu; 02-23-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:53 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bigworm
No power with my stg 3 setup? So a 12 second pass on a tranny not meant for the drag strip must be no power huh? Oh and I'm selling it partly because I'm moving and need cash and I'm getting parts together for my 2.5 swap ...
Please keep it on topic.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
this makes me kinda, well very angry. these guys do nothing but go out of thier way for theyre customers and this is what they get in return ive had many good experiences with them and know more than 5 ppl that have had great experiences with them...i can do most of the work on my subaru myself, but i take it to them because they have never steered me in a direction they themselves would not go and frankly i just dont have the time all the time. i would recomend anyone who takes pride in thier car and wants premium service to go there. maybe if this guy wasnt such a cheap *** in the first place and bought cheap parts that didnt have fit issues or a name to back them up then maybe, most likely none of this would have happened. i still back all the guys at fine line and respect them. someone said 0-2 is there record you obviously didnt read this thread, http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790823... and if youve only heard 2 bad things about them and theve been in business what about 2 years? yea not bad at all. and like this one there probably was an explanation for the other one. they did nothing illegal and cannot be turned into the bar, which only leaves wrong doing on the part of the customer.

Its not a matter of it only being 2. it's the fact that ive heard 2 bad things, 0 good things. so even though its a small count its 100% bad stuff i have heard.

and screw the whole "maybe if he got stuff with a name to back it up" i think if FLI knew what they were doing.. or actually put quality into the work they did for Jeff then MAYBE he wouldnt be in this scenario... perhaps its not the parts but the part installers that caused this to happen. which you know what everyshop has a bad install its bound to happen, but they should stand behind their work if they are worth anyones business. i do not feel comfortable taking my car somewhere that doesnt stand behind their work.

and +1 to the guy who said they were telling him what he wanted and didnt want. anytime ive gone there miles and ryan have simply tried to sell me what they had not what i wanted. i do my homework on products i purchase and know what i want at that point. it's the last thing i need is for them to make it sound like "cobb" or "aps" are the only GOOD options. "yeah i am thinking about a helix downpipe" --ohhh no you dont want that *insert some lame reason why here* cobb and APS are the only way to go.. i have heard just as good stuff about certain things as i have cobb and APS they arent the only brand out there, yet they seem to believe and push it on potential customers that it is. and if you dont agree you're wrong.
that is my experience.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by evsoul
and +1 to the guy who said they were telling him what he wanted and didnt want. anytime ive gone there miles and ryan have simply tried to sell me what they had not what i wanted. i do my homework on products i purchase and know what i want at that point. it's the last thing i need is for them to make it sound like "cobb" or "aps" are the only GOOD options. "yeah i am thinking about a helix downpipe" --ohhh no you dont want that *insert some lame reason why here* cobb and APS are the only way to go.. i have heard just as good stuff about certain things as i have cobb and APS they arent the only brand out there, yet they seem to believe and push it on potential customers that it is. and if you dont agree you're wrong.
that is my experience.
+1 ... btw that is me you're talking about...ywia

But do you blame a business trying to upsell a customer on products they carry? I don't...but please dont act like u know whats best for me...sorry mom and dad

also...i believe that if a shop does a customer's install and it doesnt go well, the installer should try to make peace in some form or another whether it be a 2nd try or some other means...thats just my thoughts though
Old 02-23-2006, 06:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Unicorn
Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
+1 ... btw that is me you're talking about...ywia

But do you blame a business trying to upsell a customer on products they carry? I don't...but please dont act like u know whats best for me...sorry mom and dad

also...i believe that if a shop does a customer's install and it doesnt go well, the installer should try to make peace in some form or another whether it be a 2nd try or some other means...thats just my thoughts though

it doesnt cost the owner of a shop money for their own labor. so it wouldnt be expensive to offer free work. unless they have a guy they pay do work. i dont know that situation.

and yeah i know sell the products you make money on.. and yeah cobb/APS are awesome brands but not the only brands. i went there asking how much for a helix downpipe install and it wasnt "oh this much" it was "get a cobb downpipe the helix sucks" i dont think thats a good way of displaying your business by knocking on brands that have great rep's.. "i guess if FLI said it, it must be true." no thanks ill goto suntint for that ****.

not to be OT but im just saying in defense of what littleworm said.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Long_Travel_WRX

From reading everything it sounds like they are not going to work with him because he doesn't want to be worked with... He wants it his way that's it would u blame them if it was u hearing stories makes u jump to conclusions, right? So all of you r jumping to conclusions about fli so if u heard some of the stories this guy was saying about scamming this person and that company would u want to work with him? NO!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:33 PM

From reading everything it sounds like they are not going to work with him because he doesn't want to be worked with... He wants it his way that's it would u blame them if it was u hearing stories makes u jump to conclusions, right? So all of you r jumping to conclusions about fli so if u heard some of the stories this guy was saying about scamming this person and that company would u want to work with him? NO!
That is why you get a 3rd party's opinion. I'm honestly not taking either side since I honestly dont know the entire situation since I am not a mechanical wiz or anything. I'm just going off information that was previously presented. I really don't know if the accusations of jeff allegedly attempting to scam shops its true or not. I am not saying theyre true or false as I do not know the person at all. I hope both parties come to some sort of mutual agreement.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:00 PM
VIP Member

OK I'm back. FLI does push thier product line. Good for them. They use it, they sell it and they stand by it. This was part of the issue. When I chose the injectors and the short block and told them the route I was going they said they didn't "recommend" them. What they recommended was PE or Modded stockers. After this experience I soon found out that Miles meant was "we have these injectors this is what we know how to tune. You have those injectors we don't know how to tune them" I so wish he would have said that to me. There was a little ego in the way. Their attempt to discredit me was a poor attempt to shift the spot light from themselves. I have been more than honest with FLI from day 1. Amazingly I was able to restrain from posting my experience this long. I gave FLI the chance to "make it right", which they agreed to do. I held up my end of the deal to ensure that any problems encountered would be handled by a warranty, which apparently held little water.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:11 PM

I still have a ? Why were gruppe s' leakdown results different from fli's and then crawford said the motor was all good???
Old 02-23-2006, 07:20 PM
VIP Member

That is a good question Worm. First and foremost the test at Gruppe-s was conducted on a hot motor, FLI cold. Other than that I have no idea. I was witness to the test being perfomed at Gruppe-s. FLI I was not. This is where it gets confusing to me, FLI was apparently happy with the compression/leakdown and they were happy with the results of the engine teardown. Yet they still sent it to Crawford. As I stated I put trust in Steve to "make it right" Seeing how I was happy with the installation and had no real direct dealing with Steve I had no reason not to trust him. If Steve had come to me with his honest opinion and said everything is fine. I would have believed him. He is the one that earned my trust a second time.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:29 PM

Red face

I was under the impression that they were sending the motor back to crawford to make you happy and prove to you that they did nothing to hurt the motor, since that is what you accused them of, looks like you were wrong about that though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My FLI (Fine Line Imports) Experience (posted 02-23-2006)