Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

My FLI (Fine Line Imports) Experience (posted 02-23-2006)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 05:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: stock 04 wrx sedan
sounds like an I-speed expience im sure subydude knows how you feel first hand, i remember talking to you Jeff the day of the leakdown you were pretty bumed about the status of your car after everything you gone thru, to me they dyno charges dont seem to bad they really could have raped you if they charged you for all that time but it dosnt make it right nor does it = a refund cause they "hooked" it up, to me what would have been fair was to give you your motor back and refund you the labor on the inital build, sorry bud you and marksti should get together, better hope Dre dosnt get ahold of this thread
Old 02-23-2006, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by Long_Travel_WRX
bobble bobble
LOL, I knew it was coming. Actually, I have nothing but good things to say about Quirt, Chris and Crawford Performance. I know what your going to say. Please don't. There is another thread somewhere else for that. When I told Quirt about the situation he was very concerned due to the issues he has had lately. He assured me that the motor was perfect. No damage had been done. To me that was good news
Old 02-23-2006, 05:06 PM
VIP Member

sounds like an I-speed expience im sure subydude knows how you feel first hand, i remember talking to you Jeff the day of the leakdown you were pretty bumed about the status of your car after everything you gone thru, to me they dyno charges dont seem to bad they really could have raped you if they charged you for all that time but it dosnt make it right nor does it = a refund cause they "hooked" it up, to me what would have been fair was to give you your motor back and refund you the labor on the inital build, sorry bud you and marksti should get together, better hope Dre dosnt get ahold of this thread
Thanks James, This is one thread Dre has an open invitation to
Old 02-23-2006, 05:08 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ipozestu
LOL, I knew it was coming. Actually, I have nothing but good things to say about Quirt, Chris and Crawford Performance. I know what your going to say. Please don't. There is another thread somewhere else for that. When I told Quirt about the situation he was very concerned due to the issues he has had lately. He assured me that the motor was perfect. No damage had been done. To me that was good news

so if the motor is ok, what was with the low compression and massive amount of coolant coming from the exhaust, did FLI find low compression they said the head gasket was in good shape?? did they show you the head gaskets??
Old 02-23-2006, 05:13 PM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
Sorry to hear about the lose... Sometimes it's worth the wait to get things done right the first time.

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
sounds like an I-speed expience im sure
awwww i wanted to say that lol

i always kinda knew there was something iffy about FLi to be honest. I didn't like them from the start when I called them for some advice on conversions and what they offer basically stating what I had wanted was "A waste of time" "Whats the point in that?" "Its worthless to do a wrx swap" blah blah blah, plus hearing word of their tuning skills....when I need tuning, I'm just going to make it easy and go right to Mike. Can't go wrong there

PS - The moment a business basically talks **** about what I want to do with MY car and acts like they know what I want, is the moment they don't deserve my business.
VIP Member

I never got a clear answer on thier findings here are a couple more emails listed most recent to least

Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:34:45 -0800
From: "Fine Line Imports" <ryan@finelineimports.net> Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: "Jeffrey Richardson" <jeffrey.richardson@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: So far so good I guess

Hi Jeffery
We are getting ready to ship out your motor on Monday. The shipping charge is going to be handled up front by us. If it turns out that Crawford built the motor wrong they will take care of the shipping charges with us. If it is deemed that there is no problem with the motor and that these are acceptable leak down and compression numbers then I would like you to cover the cost of shipping. NOT of deinstallation just of the shipping of the motor.If you have any questions please call and talk with Steve as I am leaving for Reno in about 1 hour have a great
weekend

Ryan
Fine Line Imports

Jeffrey Richardson wrote:

>Was there any scaring the piston tops? How about the condition of the deck on the heads? The passenger side in particular. Any clue where the aluminum on the spark plugs came from? Were there traces of coolant on the sealing surface of the block and head. Coolant was getting in there from somewhere. Now the question is; where? Hey I want to thank You & Steve for jumping on this and taking care. I feel pretty good about the progress that has been made over the last couple of days. Keep up the good work.
>Thanks,
>Jeff
>--- Fine Line Imports <ryan@finelineimports.net>
>wrote:
>
>
>
>>Hello Jeffery
>>
>>Steve talked with quirt yesterday and quirt requested that we strip the motor down to just the block before we send it to him . After we did this steve took a look at the heads and pistons(witch i have pictures of). It does not appear to be anything wrong with the block from the outside but when we send it to quirt he will be able to open it up and tell if anything else is wrong with it. The cylinders showed no sign of water or coolant ever being in the combustion chamber. Then again this is all from a visual inspection. we will no all we need to when it goes down to Quirt. If you have any more question just let me know.
>>
>>Ryan
>>Fine Line Imports
>>
>>Jeffrey Richardson wrote:
>>My calculations for cylinders 1-3 are pretty much spot on with yours. My astigmatism tends to skew gauge readings. LOL JK. The cold motor certainly accountsfor the increase in leakdown on 2&4 and the decrease in 1&3. In addition the comp test would have had different results of a hot motor. So at this point are we in agreement that the comparison of the tests conducted are conclusive? In
your opinion is the motor damaged?

Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:57:57 -0800
From: "Fine Line Imports" <ryan@finelineimports.net> Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To: "Jeffrey Richardson" <jeffrey.richardson@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Pics from yesterday

Yes they are on a cold motor. After talking with steve you get better
test on a hot motor due to the fact that the piston has expanded. Did
the pictures come out ok for you though?

Ryan
Fine Line Imports

Jeffrey Richardson wrote:

> Was the motor hot? Our tests were conducted on a hot motor. I would
> belive that is where the variances are.
>
> */Fine Line Imports <ryan@finelineimports.net>/* wrote:
>
> Hi Jeffery Here are the pictures of what we took and here are the
> numbers.
>
> Cylinder 1
> leakdown 14%
> comp test 134 psi
>
> Cylinder 2
> leak down 10%
> comp test 134 psi
>
> Cylinder 3
> leak down 12%
> comp test 135 psi
>
> Cylinder 4
> leak down 9%
> comp test 135 psi
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Jeffrey Richardson wrote:
>
> > Hey Ryan,
> > Just wondering when you were going to send the pics of the
> > compression/leakdown results, and the like.
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff
>
>
> Index of file:///C:/Documents and
> Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Jeffrey Richardson Comp Test and
> Leak Down/

Last edited by ipozestu; 02-23-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by maddhatteroo7
awwww i wanted to say that lol

i always kinda knew there was something iffy about FLi to be honest. I didn't like them from the start when I called them for some advice on conversions and what they offer basically stating what I had wanted was "A waste of time" "Whats the point in that?" "Its worthless to do a wrx swap" blah blah blah, plus hearing word of their tuning skills....when I need tuning, I'm just going to make it easy and go right to Mike. Can't go wrong there

PS - The moment a business basically talks **** about what I want to do with MY car and acts like they know what I want, is the moment they don't deserve my business.

A swap is a waste of money if you don't keep the car longer then 11 months
Old 02-23-2006, 05:19 PM

Car Info: 2002 M3
this makes me kinda, well very angry. these guys do nothing but go out of thier way for theyre customers and this is what they get in return ive had many good experiences with them and know more than 5 ppl that have had great experiences with them...i can do most of the work on my subaru myself, but i take it to them because they have never steered me in a direction they themselves would not go and frankly i just dont have the time all the time. i would recomend anyone who takes pride in thier car and wants premium service to go there. maybe if this guy wasnt such a cheap *** in the first place and bought cheap parts that didnt have fit issues or a name to back them up then maybe, most likely none of this would have happened. i still back all the guys at fine line and respect them. someone said 0-2 is there record you obviously didnt read this thread, http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790823... and if youve only heard 2 bad things about them and theve been in business what about 2 years? yea not bad at all. and like this one there probably was an explanation for the other one. they did nothing illegal and cannot be turned into the bar, which only leaves wrong doing on the part of the customer.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by gilmore25
A swap is a waste of money if you don't keep the car longer then 11 months
pfft march is comming up man! then ill have had my RS for a year hehe
Old 02-23-2006, 05:28 PM
VIP Member

Worm thanks for your input. This is not a flame BTW. It is a REVIEW. Notice good points and bad points. Cheap ***??? Over $8000 has gone into this cheap ***'s car since 12/15/05. RC engineering no name??
Old 02-23-2006, 05:33 PM

Worm thanks for your input. This is not a flame BTW. It is a REVIEW. Notice good points and bad points. Cheap ***??? Over $8000 has gone into this cheap ***'s car since 12/15/05. RC engineering no name??
man you're such a tight wad i cant believe it lol JOKING!
im sorry to hear about your expierence, to be honest if i spent that much money id want a quality build and a quality tuner as well that has been proven and want a positive experience due to the money you have spent!
Old 02-23-2006, 05:33 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bigworm
this makes me kinda, well very angry. these guys do nothing but go out of thier way for theyre customers and this is what they get in return ive had many good experiences with them and know more than 5 ppl that have had great experiences with them...i can do most of the work on my subaru myself, but i take it to them because they have never steered me in a direction they themselves would not go and frankly i just dont have the time all the time. i would recomend anyone who takes pride in thier car and wants premium service to go there. maybe if this guy wasnt such a cheap *** in the first place and bought cheap parts that didnt have fit issues or a name to back them up then maybe, most likely none of this would have happened. i still back all the guys at fine line and respect them. someone said 0-2 is there record you obviously didnt read this thread, http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790823... and if youve only heard 2 bad things about them and theve been in business what about 2 years? yea not bad at all. and like this one there probably was an explanation for the other one. they did nothing illegal and cannot be turned into the bar, which only leaves wrong doing on the part of the customer.

so what your trying to say is that they do a good job selling AP's and CAI ????
way to go fanboy!!!! do you realize how much a motor + labor + tuning cost compared to an access port or a cold air intake is get real man its pretty easy to box up a part and ship it on time compared to building a motor and tuning it
Old 02-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: 2002 WRX
FLI Official Response

1. The motor is fine. If there had been something wrong with the motor that we had done we would have fixed it for free. Crawford verified with our 55 data logs from the dyno runs we performed that we DID NOT damage the motor at all.

2. It was Jeffrey’s idea to have another shop finish the car after the motor was returned from Crawford and we agreed since we no longer felt comfortable working on his car due to his vicious and vindictive attitude. He’s only complaining about us not finishing the car because he doesn’t want to pay someone else to do it. He wants us to do it for free.

3. To all businesses watching DANGER. Beware of this customer. He is out to get something for nothing and we are not his first victims. He proudly told us early on about how he tried to scam a free motor out of Subaru of America. He told one of our other customers outside our shop that he always treats the guys that work on his car like crap.

Jeffrey is entitled to his opinion about us and we wish the next shop he goes to the best of luck.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:34 PM

Don't get all worked up he's a FLI fanboy and made no power with his stage 3 set-up that's why he's selling it

Quick Reply: My FLI (Fine Line Imports) Experience (posted 02-23-2006)