Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Let the drama begain

Old 11-05-2007, 11:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: e39
seriously people for all of you that gave 06sti crap dude this is a forum. Let him say/vent whatever he wants it helps to allow people to choose what they want to do. For those that were unsure about a shop and read something like this then hey that may have helped make there decision about going to that shop easier and for those that have been happy with the shop....Well most likely they will continue to go there but either way it gives us more of an in depth view of how a bad experience can help open peoples eyes. Basically it shows what a shop may or may not be willing to do to help remedy the situation. However it seems like this shop didn't do a very good job in finishing the job right. No matter what a shop with such a great rep and good umm mechanics should be able to diagnose and fix these problems. I mean ok so u mess up thats fine no one is perfect but for the customer to give u multiple chances to fix a problem and not to be able to fix it...I know when my car was having problems I took it to the dealership to get checked when they found the problem they fixed it I didn't double check there work to make sure it was done right. I automatically assumed it was done right the first time because they are professionals.....
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by all_being
As a "tech"you should know better than to drive a vehicle with any sort of problem. Once you take that car from a shop knowing the work is incomplete, thats on you. You should know this if you are a "tech". Seeing crazy gauge readings and you still drive it home? Techs don't do that. Hacks that know how to turn wrenches do. This just sounds like you are an "all knowing instructor" at some tech school with a bad attitude. Sh*t does happen and bum work is unacceptable. But you should know better, as an "instructor", driving a vehicle with these problems. The correct answer to parts not installed right is "Neat I'll be taking the keys to your shop vehicle and/or you're taking me to work". "Not I guess I'll fix this myself because I teach at Wyotech." Did i guess right?

As for tech schools. The people I have worked with from these schools I wouldn't let oil the chain on my bicycle. Sure I don't have a SMOG license but I'm not a hack thinking I'm top dog cause I went to a crappy south bay tech school. These kids have zero real world experience. Your students need to be reminded of this.

Mike is taking responsibility for what happened as he should as a mature adult. You are being immature by bringing this into a public forum to flame GST and to be flamed by me. Your "modding"powers do not scare me "Tech School Instructor".

If anything you both share responsibility in this.
I really don't understand what being a tech, an instructor, or having a smog license has anything to do with knowing not to drive a car when the gauges are giving weird numbers. I'm not a tech, an instructor, or have a smog license and I have enough common sense to know if something's wrong, don't drive it.

Though, from my point of view, it's kind of hard to notice your injectors are leaking to the point where it can cause an engine bay fire from gauges.

Let me just say though, take my opinion with a grain of salt, as none of my friends nor I have ever had a great experience with the old Gruppe-S or Mike.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by all_being
As a "tech"you should know better than to drive a vehicle with any sort of problem. Once you take that car from a shop knowing the work is incomplete, thats on you. You should know this if you are a "tech". Seeing crazy gauge readings and you still drive it home? Techs don't do that. Hacks that know how to turn wrenches do. This just sounds like you are an "all knowing instructor" at some tech school with a bad attitude. Sh*t does happen and bum work is unacceptable. But you should know better, as an "instructor", driving a vehicle with these problems. The correct answer to parts not installed right is "Neat I'll be taking the keys to your shop vehicle and/or you're taking me to work". "Not I guess I'll fix this myself because I teach at Wyotech." Did i guess right?

As for tech schools. The people I have worked with from these schools I wouldn't let oil the chain on my bicycle. Sure I don't have a SMOG license but I'm not a hack thinking I'm top dog cause I went to a crappy south bay tech school. These kids have zero real world experience. Your students need to be reminded of this.

Mike is taking responsibility for what happened as he should as a mature adult. You are being immature by bringing this into a public forum to flame GST and to be flamed by me. Your "modding"powers do not scare me "Tech School Instructor".

If anything you both share responsibility in this.
once again, I'm glad for people sharing their experiences because it shows the quality of the shop/work being done.

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
I really don't understand what being a tech, an instructor, or having a smog license has anything to do with knowing not to drive a car when the gauges are giving weird numbers. I'm not a tech, an instructor, or have a smog license and I have enough common sense to know if something's wrong, don't drive it.

Though, from my point of view, it's kind of hard to notice your injectors are leaking to the point where it can cause an engine bay fire from gauges.

Let me just say though, take my opinion with a grain of salt, as none of my friends nor I have ever had a great experience with the old Gruppe-S or Mike.
you mean you don't have a "fire in the engine bay" gauge? n00b.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by tamashi523
seriously people for all of you that gave 06sti crap dude this is a forum. Let him say/vent whatever he wants it helps to allow people to choose what they want to do.
werd. This ain't China or Nasioc where they sensor all bad reviews and whatnot. Comon now. One sided opinions are lousy opinions if they aren't open to discussion or debate.

Originally Posted by 1WRX2NV
damn I keep bumping it up...ahhh!!
bump
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 AM

Car Info: you've got an electrical problem.
I try to laugh at some of the comments on here. Its kinda funny, Turn the tables a you'd be worse. I can tell by your posts. Flamming me does nothing. It shows your colors. As subaru owners we should be watching for problem like this to help each other out.

I'm sure alot of you would be quiet if I'd said my car bursted into flames in the middle of the freeway and caused a major car accident and people were hurt.

To the guy that said if he owned gst he'd not give a ****? Well.... I laugh at that. The customer well does dry up after a bit. Then you go away.

I have now decided what action to take. And I'll be letting someone else take care of this for me for now on.

Mike has not tried very hard to call me or to try and fix the few problems that has been caused.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:38 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by SuzWRX
Everyone makes mistakes whether it's GST or LIC, no one is perfect. I will continue to support GST. They are the only shop that has touched my car and the only shop I will let and I have never had any problems. Thinking about it, this is the only negative post I have seen about GST. All I usually hear is good stuff. I know Mike is a reputable person and will take care of whatever is wrong. GST + 1!!
Some people don't post their bad experiences with shops because of all the negative repercussion from i-club members that support whatever shop it may be. I hope everyone can see this.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:40 AM

Car Info: I is not STiYLIN n e moar
Originally Posted by Roo

...because I'm rather certain that if he personally gets involved and oversees everything, at this point...

...it will turn out to either meet or exceed the expectations of 06STi.
Yup, dude WILL take care of it, that's just the way he operates. Whatever happens Mike is a good business man in a hard line of work.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 PM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
Just read through the entire thread. Me being someone who is not as mechanically inclined as others, I would take it to an "expert" of the trade and am depending on their "expert" knowledge and expertise to get it done right.

If i am paying for a service, i expect it to be done right. It's one thing to be stand up and make things right after it's been done wrong. That is a trait that is to be commended. But as a customer and a paying customer at that, we all should be expecting it to be done right at that time. Things should be doubled checked to make sure that it's right before it goes back on the road.

Anyhow, my two cents. Things are looking like they will be resolved one way or another.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:34 PM

Car Info: '00 GT Wagon, BP wannabe
Is Freddie considered a GST employee?

A recent thread announced that he is performing detailing as a service for GST.

If that's the case, is he speaking for the company?

I sure hope not.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:25 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by 06STi
I think being quiet for a month or two and letting them fix and refix is plenty of time. Now.... If you read some of my past posts I have dropped small hints to what has been going on.

( The no drama thread) where I posted
( GST Spring sale thread, Can we please fix my car now.) When I hear no responce and they have seem to drop off the face of the earth. Little reminders, My other posts,
(Who can tune ecutek in the bay area) A month or so ago. You can read this posts and see what I was leading up to.

As for other shops Your barking up the wrong tree.. I know how things go. I have worked in the "trenches" and as a regonal trainning rep. I am now a Instuctor at a automotive / motorcycle tech school. I have well over 18 years modding 60 cars and 20 motorcycles owned. I know how **** works and how **** happens. Thats it why I gave them a handful of times to fix their mistakes.
People do make mistakes.... But when its 5 times in a row ???? Its time to speak up. This is not nasa rocket work here.

I will be the only one that touches my car for now on.... Lesson learned. Just makes it tought to work 80 hours a week and then get up and mess with the car. I work really hard. I pay to play. I have never once walked into a shop and said i'm from ( so and so web site / club or what ever) greg and mike and both vouch for this. Its just not me. You offer a service. I'm here to pay.

**** happens. I posted this as to put forth my experence and hope that GST slows the snow ball for a while. And that others can learn form my mistakes that maybe not able to afford them such as I might. I'm not flow with money by any means. I do find it funny that all the gst crew think its related to me low balling or ****ty knock off parts. ****.. I have almost the Full APS catalog on my car. A PE 1820 Turbo and pe 850 injectors. Its not a ebay downpipe and a hks what ever and a super -s flow junk. I have stuff made to work togther.

GST did try and call me today. I was teaching a class. Was not able to pick it up. I will be in contact with them soon enough.

I also need to still find a tuner as my a/f ratios should not be 10:1 across the board.

P.S. He gave me the injectors because they broke the a/c line in my car. The injectors were used and two were questionable at that. But since they are not a a/c shop I figured I'd take care of the a/c myself.

Wow.. I'm a tool and I'll just run back to my tool box again.
I don't recall calling you a tool but it is possible. I have a bad memory.

I didn't assume you used crappy parts...I actually assumed the latter because of your address. I didn't assume that you piece mealed a turbo kit together...you pretty much said that. My point on shops installing parts they do not know the history of stands. Some shops won't do it anymore. Because you never know what you're getting into.

As for your AC line issue. If you have read any research on larger tmic you'd have read a hundred threads on ac lines getting damaged. There are ways to fix it. Which would be you doing it not the shop. They were asked to install, they installed. If you ask them to run some rubber hosing over the line or bend it out of the way they probably would have.

bad experiences like this happen and I don't know the whole story so I'm not making a stand on either side. All I know is that mike stands by his work and he ALWAYS tries to fix things if things go wrong. Shoot most of his days are taken up fixing other peoples screw ups...other shops...etc.

I hope your luck changes and you decide to push your car further. I'm sure you'll be happy with it....or you put it all back. Dump it and get an 09...haa.

and 5 times in a row on mistakes....some of the mistakes you're blaming them for it sounds like they didn't make...like the bolts...etc. And I never said you shouldn't have spoken up. God knows I probably would have...the whiney ***** that I am. What I did say is that you openned up a can of worms by doing it the way you did. You know GST is well liked and respected....should have approached it a bit more carefully that's all. Not all the drama talk.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:40 PM

I dont understand? If a shop is working with the parts and installing them, just because the new part makes some area of the stock not work doesn't mean they don't have to deal with it. This is why we pay them to install. Especially something obvious.... and something that there is 100's of posts about??if there are so many.......and the data is so vast........why doesn't gst know about it?

Why wouldn't they just fix the a/c line w/o him asking.......they broke it without asking him..........
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I don't recall calling you a tool but it is possible. I have a bad memory.

I didn't assume you used crappy parts...I actually assumed the latter because of your address. I didn't assume that you piece mealed a turbo kit together...you pretty much said that. My point on shops installing parts they do not know the history of stands. Some shops won't do it anymore. Because you never know what you're getting into.

As for your AC line issue. If you have read any research on larger tmic you'd have read a hundred threads on ac lines getting damaged. There are ways to fix it. Which would be you doing it not the shop. They were asked to install, they installed. If you ask them to run some rubber hosing over the line or bend it out of the way they probably would have.

bad experiences like this happen and I don't know the whole story so I'm not making a stand on either side. All I know is that mike stands by his work and he ALWAYS tries to fix things if things go wrong. Shoot most of his days are taken up fixing other peoples screw ups...other shops...etc.

I hope your luck changes and you decide to push your car further. I'm sure you'll be happy with it....or you put it all back. Dump it and get an 09...haa.

and 5 times in a row on mistakes....some of the mistakes you're blaming them for it sounds like they didn't make...like the bolts...etc. And I never said you shouldn't have spoken up. God knows I probably would have...the whiney ***** that I am. What I did say is that you openned up a can of worms by doing it the way you did. You know GST is well liked and respected....should have approached it a bit more carefully that's all. Not all the drama talk.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 11-06-2007 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:47 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
this is my point....check your **** out. In the end YOU are responsible for YOUR car.
Yeah a shop...any shop SHOULD do perfect work but that doesn't mean it's gonna happen. It's a 10 minute fix. And I highly doubt ANY shop is gonna bend an AC line without the customer asking them to do it if they do it all.

I've had shops install things for me from time to time for the last 10 years or so. I don't think I'd ever assume it was right. Especially if I heard something slamming around while I drove.

They didn't brake anything. The installed part broke it. But that's just my opinion. Like I said before...I wasn't in the shop. It's not my car. I didn't install it.

It's why posts like this are so delicate...specially when dealing with a loved vendor. Everyone is gonna have an opinion.

Mine.....basically is that this is a crappy situation for all involved.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:03 PM

When the car comes in without a problem. It should leave without a problem. Thats why we pay the pros right?

It came in with it not touching the a/c line as well as the strut tower bar. It left with me having to have the strut tower removed. Then when it came loose because they didnt attach the tmic bracket corectly, They used only one of two bolts on the driverside mount, Which was not torqued and came loose. Causing the tmic to shift and It then moved backwards striking the a/c line. Fatal for the A/C line.

Anything else you want to point out as like I have said before all bases were covered.

I also want to add that during all this... A few parts including my tmic was scratched , the tmic was also stripped and had to be rewelded and re tapped.

How many of you would have said... NO you replace that ****. Not repair it...?? I let them repair it. Yes it still has the scratches and still has the burned paint were it was rewelded. They didnt even bother to clean the paint up after that.

Also how about driving with a major vaccume leak. A bov being loose on the tmic. Which could have damaged my engine. My vac @ idle is 5-7 psi
Thats not very much. Mike was also made aware of that when he was shown the work.

No one ever posts bad stuff as most are afraid of problems afterwards. I really do not care. Call me names... We all know just reading your posts where you work, Where you shop,

So once again.. I've covered every ave before posting. But enough is enough.
Pick me apart, my story apart, Because once again the glorous GST can do no wrong. It must be the customer or their car or their parts.

Stop and think of all the B.S. I had to go tough over the last month or two. The pissed off for my APS stuff getting trashed, My car getting trashed. Thats alot of **** to deal with.

Now what would you do?

I have given them a few times to make a bad problem worse or a bad problem better.... Well here we are.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:06 PM

this is my point....check your **** out. In the end YOU are responsible for YOUR car.
Yeah a shop...any shop SHOULD do perfect work but that doesn't mean it's gonna happen. It's a 10 minute fix. And I highly doubt ANY shop is gonna bend an AC line without the customer asking them to do it if they do it all.

I've had shops install things for me from time to time for the last 10 years or so. I don't think I'd ever assume it was right. Especially if I heard something slamming around while I drove.

They didn't brake anything. The installed part broke it. But that's just my opinion. Like I said before...I wasn't in the shop. It's not my car. I didn't install it.

It's why posts like this are so delicate...specially when dealing with a loved vendor. Everyone is gonna have an opinion.

Mine.....basically is that this is a crappy situation for all involved.

Speed, Fit and Function is all in the details.
If you dont watch the details you get this thread.
The things you talk about are the details.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 AM

Car Info: Fast
wow, that is an unreal story. I understand what it is like to have a shop do imcomplete, hasty, or sloppy work. I have never had a bolt fall off with one of my installs, but then I use lock washers and locktite on areas that flex a lot or are known to fall loosen up a nut or bolt.

To ME, it is very reasonable to want a COMPLETE job from a shop you are paying $80+ an hour to. I obviously do all of my own work, except for tuning. I cannot afford to pay a shop to do my work...not to mention it is an 5 hour drive one way to the Bay. However, the one time I did pay a shop to work on my car, I ended up having my time wasted. Parts were not ordered on time because of Subiefest II, and bolts fell off of my endlinks. Common issue right? See above comment about locktite

Anyway, as many have said you pay a professional for a professional job, not half-assed work that burns your car down. Of course you always cover your own ***, but that is more of a life motto, and should NOT be applicable when you are paying someone for work you do not have the time, tools or knowledge to perform.

Edit: Thanks for reminding me to get a fire extinguisher....probably CO2, or whatever they are using to replace Halon. What is popular in racing nowdays?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let the drama begain