i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/)
-   -   HID Lights! for Bay Area Subbie owners! (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/hid-lights-bay-area-subbie-owners-242869/)

Stephen G 07-01-2012 09:58 PM

HID Lights! for Bay Area Subbie owners!

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post so bare with me.

I found this cool shop called Xtreme HID. I took my wrx there and the pictures can be found on my page. I like the place so much I brought my brother's 07 STI in to get it done as well. They have really good Yelp reviews and I also ran into couple of subbie owners there and I refered them to i-club of course and we started talking about meets but anyway.. back to the point.

-He gives lifetime warranty if he does the install and they do good work.
-They do installs same day for the most part.
-Installs are done infront of the shop and they did my fog lights and headlights probably in 20min or so.
-after you get something done and you refer someone they get free install.
-They do interior lights as well along with reverse lights.
-They install headunits and car alarms (got one for my truck for $180) and lifetime warranty on it as well depending on which alarm system you get.

Mention my name and he will hook you up. I go by stephen but he knows me by my first name which is Prince. ( reason why i go by stephen is because ppl ask too many questions about my first name!!) He's pretty cool, Ahn and Jose do most of the installs and in my opinion they do excellent work. Check it out. Btw if you guys find a better store.. let me know!

Here is the yelp link
[url=http://www.yelp.com/biz/xtreme-hid-san-jose]Xtreme HID - San Jose, CA[/url]

address below.

1075 Tully Rd
Ste B3
San Jose, CA, 95122

(408) 271-0118
Hours:
Mon-Sat 10 am - 7 pm They Are Closed Sunday!

Brfatal 07-02-2012 07:18 AM

Great, now you can uninstall the HIDs in your foglights yourself because it's illegal, dangerous, and stupid on your part to had them put in in the 1st place. There is a reason that no reputable company makes HID foglights, and it's because that type of lighting negates their function and it's very dangerous.

04caliwrx 07-02-2012 08:46 AM

I know a lot of suby owners that run hid fogs. NEver thought of it as dangerous though

Stephen G 07-02-2012 11:33 AM

Brfatal yes they are extremely dangerous. The cause people to go blind and can cause erectile disfunction. You need to calm down. Before u start going around callin ppl stupid explain how it's dangerous? Since your such an expert on the topic

esousa22 07-02-2012 12:00 PM

that shop is alright, its charges an arm and a leg though. The thing you forgot to mention is that you are posting this to get your free HID's when someone mentions your name. But its a cool place since they do the lifetime warranty thing and if you refer someone you get a free set. What I told a couple buddies is that I'd split the price with them since I was getting a free set and that makes the cost only 120.

I paid 120 for 35w 6k hids which is a horrible price! go to DDM tuning and get the same crap for $40, unless you wanna do the referral thing which I think is pretty cool on their part. Definitely nice people and do it right. Just a little high of a price but with the warranty and the reference I guess I can't complain too much.

esousa22 07-02-2012 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=Stephen G;3264663]Brfatal yes they are extremely dangerous. The cause people to go blind and can cause erectile disfunction. You need to calm down. Before u start going around callin ppl stupid explain how it's dangerous? Since your such an expert on the topic[/QUOTE]

don't mind Brfatal, he bashes on everyone, I'm sure he bugs a lot of people

Stephen G 07-02-2012 01:14 PM

Esousa22 actually I already have all the lights done on in my car. As for referral he said he would hook people up if I brought in more friends. He gave me some free lights my car is complete on that end and I have no intention of putting his on my truck because it rides high and I don't want it flashing into people rear window. So no not trying to get that free referral install.

Stephen G 07-02-2012 01:21 PM

He gave me some free lights so when I go to meets ppl ask and I say where I got it from. I paid for install on most of my lights and I used my referral on my brothers car :-) sorry if it came out that way that I was trying to take the referral but I wasn't. Just say ur from I-club. I told him about the club.

stupidchicken03 07-02-2012 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=Brfatal;3264588]Great, now you can uninstall the HIDs in your foglights yourself because it's illegal, dangerous, and stupid on your part to had them put in in the 1st place. There is a reason that no reputable company makes HID foglights, and it's because that type of lighting negates their function and it's very dangerous.[/QUOTE]

He is right.

The entire point of fog lights is to increase visibility in snow/rain/dust ect ect. They have a low cut off point for this purpose. They are meant to REDUCE glare in those conditions. HIDs will do the complete opposite. And in the rain it is possible for the HIDs to produce glare off wet pavement and inhibit your and other drivers sight.

Stephen G 07-02-2012 07:00 PM

Honestly in the end it's personal prefer. I have 8k and I have no issues. I live in san jose i dont drive in bad weather. You can find an article critizing anything and everything. Realistically speaking as far as legal and illegal if you have any intake on an 2009 Wrx/Sti and up it's not legal because there isn't one carb approved not even the sf Cobb intake that I have. It's only approved for the 08. Will the world come to an end? No. I've driven by cops and had no issues. If people are gonna get that butt hurt over this post no prob. I can take it down. My bad.

Brfatal 07-03-2012 05:06 AM

[QUOTE=esousa22;3264680]don't mind Brfatal, he bashes on everyone, I'm sure he bugs a lot of people[/QUOTE]

Don't mind esousa, the reason he gets bashed is because he has no idea of what he's talking about and does a disservice by his poor advice or just by posting in general.

[QUOTE=stupidchicken03;3264739]He is right.

The entire point of fog lights is to increase visibility in snow/rain/dust ect ect. They have a low cut off point for this purpose. They are meant to REDUCE glare in those conditions. HIDs will do the complete opposite. And in the rain it is possible for the HIDs to produce glare off wet pavement and inhibit your and other drivers sight.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Foglights cannot run HIDs because it negates their purpose and they are dangerous. Foglights are designed as low intensity lights that light up the ground underneath the fog. The reason it's low intensity is because they are only intended to cover a small area in front of the car and because light scatters a LOT when it hits water vaper. Putting HIDs in them would be of the same effect as turning your brights on while in fog or heavy rain. If you've never done that, imagine a white wall in front of your car in which you can't see anything. That's how it's dangerous to the user, and the added glare will also inhibit other drivers regardless of weather conditions. See below:

[IMG]http://www.myford500.com/photos/data/500/1387Picture_0561.JPG[/IMG]

Regarding your color choice. Blue light inhibits the eye's ability to see contrast. In photoshop, take a picture and cyan filter and then open it again and use a sepia filter. Which image is sharper? This is because the shorter wavelength of blue light causes it to scatter more. It's the same concept as Rayleigh scattering, which is why the sky appears blue. What does that mean? You won't be able to see as well compared to 4300k and you're also producing more glare.

As I said foglights are designed to project a wide, short range beam immediately in front of the car to light up the lines on the road. If you want a better lit road you're barking up the wrong tree. What you need is better headlight optics. A better focused beam can more evenly distribute light and do a better job of sending light down range, where it's more important, rather than only a few feet in front of the car.

[QUOTE=Stephen G;3264881]Honestly in the end it's personal prefer. I have 8k and I have no issues. I live in san jose i dont drive in bad weather. You can find an article critizing anything and everything. Realistically speaking as far as legal and illegal if you have any intake on an 2009 Wrx/Sti and up it's not legal because there isn't one carb approved not even the sf Cobb intake that I have. It's only approved for the 08. Will the world come to an end? No. I've driven by cops and had no issues. If people are gonna get that butt hurt over this post no prob. I can take it down. My bad.[/QUOTE]

I don't need an article. It comes down to understanding fundamental lighting principles. The point is that whether you choose to realize it or not, your car is now a mobile road hazard blinding other drivers, and your entire justification for it is that you're entitled to do it.

Heedz 07-03-2012 05:30 AM

I aimed my projectors extremely low on 3000k in my fogs, didnt seem to be much different from my nokian lights that were in there before. just a bit brighter and cut through the fog better on the coast.

E85FTW 07-03-2012 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=Brfatal;3264588]Great, now you can uninstall the HIDs in your foglights yourself because it's illegal, dangerous, and stupid on your part to had them put in in the 1st place. There is a reason that no reputable company makes HID foglights, and it's because that type of lighting negates their function and it's very dangerous.[/QUOTE]

maybe we should all drive around wearing helmets as well..

LoidBanks 07-03-2012 12:24 PM

just wondering how many people actually uses fog lights for its purpose

Brfatal 07-03-2012 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=E85FTW;3265192]maybe we should all drive around wearing helmets as well..[/QUOTE]

Or maybe courtesy for the other drivers on the road.

[QUOTE=LoidBanks;3265198]just wondering how many people actually uses fog lights for its purpose[/QUOTE]

That's a given. Most people use them for axillary lighting, which ours are not particularly very good for. That doesn't mean you can't take into account others on road. I didn't use my fogs, so I removed them and installed 100w driving lights since I used to drive down unpopulated, unlit roads on a regular basis. I can light up a football field. I also use them in special cases where HIDs are misused, such as like this.

Now I live in an area where I'd actually use them because we get more fog and bad rain here.