i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/)
-   -   EQ Tuning Stage Zero Block and Tune +1^100 (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/eq-tuning-stage-zero-block-tune-1%5E100-237968/)

bpatrick 12-28-2011 11:57 PM

EQ Tuning Stage Zero Block and Tune +1^100

I have been a happy EQ Tuning customer since Ed was working out of a garage. My first tuning experience with Ed was totally awesome and every single time I've needed something engine/tuning related I've gone back to EQ ,because as a lot of subie (an non-subie owners) have experienced, Ed [U]knows how to tune[/U].

Long story short: a failed intake box, due to the panel K&N filter, caused my motor to lean out at about 50k and most likely crack a ringland. I reached the point of serious oil consumption and a poor running motor at about 75k. At that point I decided to have EQ build a motor for me. After a couple of conversations with Ed I went with a fresh stage zero block, stage one heads and 750cc deatschwerks injectors along with all of my other previous mods. The result....

[B]280 whp[/B] and [B]320 wtq[/B] on 91 pump gas with vf48 and supporting mods.

I currently have about 2k on the new engine and I am loving every freeway on-ramp all over again.

Thanks again Ed and the staff at EQ for everything.

bpatrick 12-29-2011 12:12 AM

Power mods:
VF48 from a 2010 STi
TMIC from 2010 STi
Ported stock exhaust manifold by EQ Tuning
EQ Tuning Crosspipe
EQ Tuning Uppipe with TiAL MVS 38mm wastegate and EQ Tuning Dump tube
Hallman Pro MBC
Walbro Fuel Pump
Crucial DP and Race Pipe
Stromung 3" Twin Tip Exhaust
EQ Tuning Smog Pump Delete
Perrin Turbo Inlet and Afta MAF
APS 65mm CAI with Amsoil Filter

KrAzYkld 12-29-2011 04:42 AM

Very nice! I have been a long time customer or EQ as well (not as long as you though. :p) and I am still happy with his work. I just got some work done and another tune just the other day and I have a new found love for my car. Ed and the crew really know how to take care of their customers. Anyways, enjoy your car, I know I will enjoy mine! :D

EQ Tuning 12-29-2011 02:18 PM

Thanks Bobby! We greatly appreciate all of our loyal long term customers!

Thanks
-- Ed

FW Motorsports 12-29-2011 03:04 PM

What is a Stage Zero block?

EQ Tuning 12-29-2011 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=FW Motorsports;3184327]What is a Stage Zero block?[/QUOTE]

[url]https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-158/eq-tuning-engine-build-packages-208768/#post2696133[/url]

[U][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][b]EQ Stage 0 Built Shortblock :[/b][/COLOR][/U]

This is our basic built shortblock with all brand new components. This is a great engine for anything up to about 400whp and 7000RPM.

- CP 100mm Pistons, pins, and rings
- ACL Race Series Bearings
- Complete Inspection and Cleaning of block, crank, and rods
- CNC Bore and Hone
- Polish Crank
- In-House Clearance, Blueprint, and Assemble to our strict specs and tolerances

[b]Price: $2300 with Core (Case, Crank, Rods); $3500 w/o core (All Brand New Components)[/B]

Thanks
-- Ed

bpatrick 12-29-2011 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=FW Motorsports;3184327]What is a Stage Zero block?[/QUOTE]

deleted.... Ed out posted me...

Perfect for my situation to limit down time on a daily driver, yet still provide a very strong engine (over another oem block) from the best tuner I know.

EQ Tuning 12-29-2011 03:24 PM

^^^ I beat you to it ;)

-- Ed

bpatrick 12-29-2011 03:24 PM

Ed, you beat me to it by a minute!

silverbullet415 12-29-2011 03:43 PM

Eq ftw

04caliwrx 12-29-2011 03:46 PM

sounds like a great litle car!! must be fun! can't go wrong with eq when it come to getting a subaru running right!

Gancherov 12-29-2011 07:55 PM

I have a few questions if you don't mind. I'm doing a similar power level build with my 02 wagon and i'm wondering how you feel about the transmission after the swap. How is the clutch action with the added torque? Are you worried at all about the transmission with that power level on the stock 5 speed? I guess you had a 2.5L to begin with so it's less of a change than for my car.

bpatrick 12-31-2011 06:18 PM

[QUOTE=Gancherov;3184447]I have a few questions if you don't mind. I'm doing a similar power level build with my 02 wagon and i'm wondering how you feel about the transmission after the swap. How is the clutch action with the added torque? Are you worried at all about the transmission with that power level on the stock 5 speed? I guess you had a 2.5L to begin with so it's less of a change than for my car.[/QUOTE]

The stock tranny, with ACT heavy duty clutch has suited me just fine. There's a little more judder with the HD clutch, but other than that it been great (minus heavy traffic...)

A lot of people bash the 5 spd as being a weak transmission, but I do not have any problems with it. One of the reasons is: I don't rev the motor up to 3 or 4k and drop the clutch from a dead stop. I do occasionally drive hard (no track days) and shift quickly with spirited clutch engagement, but the 5 spd has been great. 75k and still going strong!

kloo413 01-06-2012 05:23 PM

Eq thumbs up!

[QUOTE=bpatrick;3184987]The stock tranny, with ACT heavy duty clutch has suited me just fine. There's a little more judder with the HD clutch, but other than that it been great (minus heavy traffic...)

A lot of people bash the 5 spd as being a weak transmission, but I do not have any problems with it. One of the reasons is: I don't rev the motor up to 3 or 4k and drop the clutch from a dead stop. I do occasionally drive hard (no track days) and shift quickly with spirited clutch engagement, but the 5 spd has been great. 75k and still going strong![/QUOTE]

Yes, Ed and his team do fantastic work on all customers cars - big or small. I've run up to 306whp/252wtq on my '03 bugeye. I am currently back to stage 2, I have 126k miles on the odometer, stock clutch, stock 5 speed (no problems). It's all about the driver. Car is still going strong. Been with EQ since I got the car in 2007 @ 30k miles.

=)

04caliwrx 01-06-2012 05:38 PM

^ I had 350whp on my stock trany and clutch with no problems at all