i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/)
-   -   ED@Eqtuning scores high with me (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/ed%40eqtuning-scores-high-me-183386/)

CenCali07STI 04-21-2008 03:09 PM

ED@Eqtuning scores high with me

I originally posted this review in IWSTI but I totally forgot to post it in this forum so its about a month old but still very much needed to tell people about Ed and what he does for people.

Were can I start with the results of my tune. How about numbers since everyone likes those. 275hp and 307tq with a walbro, TBE and gm boost solenoid.

I met Ed yesterday at a bbq were we had talked about meeting up for my tune. After some mingling with the crowd we started to get ready for the tune. He put a basemap on my AP to get things started and off we went to find a safe tuning road. Once we got there we got started on tuning. It all began with a few second gear pulls, then third, then fourth, then first through fourth at the end was a nice little part throttle increase in sixth as if i were doing a lane change on the freeway.

Now it did not happen all that fast Ed spent just over two hours tuning my car for 91 octane that day. I could not be happier with the results. Not only does the car make excellent power but the car is more driveable than ever.

Let me elaborate on that some. When I first bought my 07 I felt really awkward at low speeds because I did not know if i was driving it wrong or what but trying to go smoothly and slowly through the gears the just felt at some points like it could not make up its mind if it wanted to go in or out of boost. It made it to were it was a little bit of an annoyance to drive at low speeds. I also had the wonderful stuttering at 2700 were the car would start bucking and stuttering like crazy.

After Ed this is all a thing of the past. I do not know how he did it but he told me he put a ton of effort into making the drive ability better on these cars and it shows. Leaving from a stoplight the car has a completely smooth and linear pull and then you just shift into the next gear and its again a nice smooth linear pull. No more jerky feeling ever. It is a pleasure to drive through town now. As for the 2700rpm stutter..... what stutter. Completely gone. I purposely drove my car at 2700 rpm for 8 miles tonight just holding it there as best as I could and not a single stutter. One more thing is that he (and maybe most tuners do this) changes the factory idle from 700 to 750 and what ever else he did it honestly makes it to were I only know the car is running buy hearing the exhaust or vavletrain noise (not excessive so dont even comment on that) if the window is down. It has the idle of a luxury car now and thats no joke. I took my ex home tonight (bestfriends now so yes i hang out with her lol) and she even made a comment that it idles like a new car and it never has since the day i bought it new. She noticed that part on her own too.

So all that aside lets get on to the second part of my tune. VP MS109 unleaded race fuel tune . It all started out just like before a few pulls here and there to get things going. Ed had heard that the 07 map sensor would read higher than previous years but sadly we discovered only a rumor the map sensor tapped out at 22.5 psi. He made the decision that he did not want to tune the car past 22psi because of that. But he said it looks like it is hitting on 24 psi and everything looks good right now lets do another pull (autometer boost gauge). so third gear from about 2200-2300 rpm to redline..... HOLY @!$%. We both commented that wow that was strong. he brought it up on his dyno software and that pull was 364ftlbs of torque (do nto remember HP). We both grinned on that pull and then he told me want to know the cool news, I havent even touched timing on the car yet there is much more in it . but like I said Ed he wisely recommended we bring the boost down to 22psi level. So once there we ran into another issue. Protuner software right now will only tune one of the four timing tables on 2007's in real time. And since the car switches around to the other timing tables we were not able to dial in timing properly so another hold back from really opening it up. If he makes adjustments on the other tables we have to pull over load the map into the AP then reflash the car start it back up and see if it helped then do it again and again and again until he is happy with it. That would take an obsurd amount of time to do. So Ed said he will have to discuss this with cobb to see if something can be done to change this. In the end I came out with 295hp and 330tq with boost just barely touching on 22 psi then coming down and little to no timing adjustments to really make any gains. He leaned it up just a little bit to help it out some but it was still well within safe AFR's.

All in all Ed spent a total of about 5 hours tuning my car including going back to the bbq to fill up with race gas. Since the car did make 364tq with very little tuning he is predicting that once he gets the timing issues worked out with protuner and I upgrade the map sensor he is predicting a tune with 25psi peak and sees the posibility of 325-330hp and 380tq.

So Ed can't thank you enough for the time you spent with my car and the changes you made to it. I highly highly recommend having Ed tune your car. Another bonus is he has a great sense of humor so you can talk and laugh while he tunes and nobody gets bored cruising up and down some country road at 35mph in order to keep heatsoak down waiting for him to say ok do another pull

On the retune for race gas I will surely keep everyone informed.

Brandon

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/ProjectXTC/91octane.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/ProjectXTC/109.png[/IMG]

03_Impreza_Al 04-21-2008 03:37 PM

Aren't you the one with the custom exhaust?

CenCali07STI 04-21-2008 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=03_Impreza_Al;2180848]Aren't you the one with the custom exhaust?[/QUOTE]

Yep from the turbo back all me :) !!!! sounds cocky but I am proud lol

Brandon

slow04wrx 04-22-2008 04:45 PM

Ed's the best baby!!!!! yea!

importfanatic17 04-22-2008 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=slow04wrx;2181896]Ed's the best baby!!!!! yea![/QUOTE]
Eh, he is okay :D

downsti 04-24-2008 01:07 PM

congrats bro...

props for ed for another badass job

PS. Ed sucks hahaha