Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Defects by Crower Cams & Equipment Co., Inc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 07 Subaru WRX STI
"Kai, please copy and paste my response on I club. The "motor builders" are on the right track if in fact it hasn't been proven that the cams in fact caused the failure. Also please post all the pictures myself and hector have of the flattened, in nitrated lobes and also please explain how this happened on 3 motors, all same grinds, same spirits and valves. Then explain how Eric's only have the intakes ground and only those failed in his motor. Please post all the facts if your going this route with this.

Thank you

PS. I assisted in building Kai's car. No I will not answer anymore questions as I think the forums are full of drama and people who will crucify you rather than try to understand indisputable facts. Again, thank you for your time."
Old 05-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Car Info: 07 Subaru WRX STI
Pictures as stated above.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Motor Specs would also help
Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Are the cams regrinds or fresh grinds?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:34 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Yep.. I've seen something similar to this with a car running Kelford cams. It was determined that improper oiling of the cam lobe caused the excessive wear. The problem was in the head, not the cam itself as this same head ate up its stock cams as well.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Originally Posted by c no evo
"Kai, please stop cutting and pasting what [whoever is directing you to do this] says and actually do what has been posted in i-club. Hell, if I was bored enough to search your posts all over these other forums you mention I'd gamble you got similar advise. In fact while you're at it, take a step back and make some inquiries of your own. Mostly because if you're not capable of even using/taking the industry people's advise you certainly have no business paying someone else to build you an engine with definite flaws.
EDITED FOR TRUTH. Who's this Invisible Friend giving you this advise? What are his/her credentials and if they are a factor I'm pretty sure that person can just as easily step forth to speak for themselves, unless they are full of it too and are just grinding an axe here stirring up drama.

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Are the cams regrinds or fresh grinds?
[That.] I want to see said shop's receipt showing the cams came from Crower in the spec you/they ordered.

Crower will usually hook someone up unless there is a glaring amount of error on the builder or user's parts. Like say, a plugged galley, etc that, *WOW 0_o HAVE BEEN MENTIONED AS LIKELY THE TRUE CAUSE.*

I'll bet they were bought standard and the builder shop had the local machine shop re-grind them. If they claim that is false a recveipt with the specs will prove their case. If not, well time to go knocking on your local machine shop's front door.

Better yet, if you paid for the build with a credit card, call them and let them call Crower and everyone else involved and do their job protecting their/your money.

Originally Posted by Javirex23
Motor Specs would also help
Again, [That].

Why, because you'd be surprised that some shop's don't really "Build" your engine, someone else does and they "Assemble" the pieces.

I call B.S. on you O/P, or at least on the story you are trying to believe.

Last edited by TheFozz; 05-20-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Blackfang
I think the OP is defective as he keeps making this thread in the wrong sections of multiple Subaru forums. How does a Crower cam relate to warranty issues with Subaru the manufacturer?
Originally Posted by Texas1911
1.) Leaning on your job just makes you look like you are trying to get something for wearing a uniform. Don't be "that guy." Remember you are serving your country, the honor that comes with that is meant to be selfless.

2.) A Subaru tech is not an engine builder. Learning how to diagnose a car and learning how to build an engine are two vastly different skills. If your bud has a lot of engine building experience you need to expand on that, rather than ******* Jack credentials like ASE and manufacturer certs.

3.) Shelf your emotions and focus on the facts. You didn't explain **** in your email to them, it's all emotion and "I'm an angry military guy!." You don't explain how the cams caused oil pump failure (presumably) or how you even came to that conclusion.

4.) Get an officer to write your letters ... they are usually great at kissing *** in a professional manner; it's their job.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2507068

Last edited by TheFozz; 05-20-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
He has people feeding him false info so the blame doesn't fall on them. Pretty sad, really. He hasn't even thought about what these two engine builders had to say about the issue, or that they may be correct.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by jdblock
He has people feeding him false info so the blame doesn't fall on them. Pretty sad, really. He hasn't even thought about what these two engine builders had to say about the issue, or that they may be correct.
Been waiting for the right thread to use this one...

Wrrrrrrooooonnnnnggggggg iiinnnnffffoooooooo???
Attached Thumbnails Defects by Crower Cams & Equipment Co., Inc.-b48ej39436.jpg  

Last edited by TheFozz; 05-20-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by holyscoobysnacks
I was the tech that tore down the 3 motors with this issue. the shop tests every component to get to the bottom of why the motor had this issue. The crower cams where defected and what happened was the lobes shaved down along with the buckets being dented and one even had a hole in it from the grinding of the cam lobes on the buckets. The parts have been tested and the cams where at fault and for crower not admit they messed up is wrong. They have just dropped down to crawfords level when it comes to their defective parts and telling the buyer your **** out of luck and have to dump more money to fix your car when it comes to their parts being at fault!

Ahhhh, I get it now, the shop that put the engine together is too stupid to check rotating clearances before installing the rest of the parts after the cam's been initially installed.

So if I understand the O/P's logic correctly, as is backed by his MasterTech buddy, is...

1. The shop that put it together installed a cam they ordered for a specific spec.

2. Said shop never should be touching anything other than a factory block.

3. Because said builder shop did this it's all Crower's Fault because they specifically target those that serve our country?

Tell your builder next time to go ahead and just grind more of the bucket surround, that way your cam will be ok, but your head will crack.[ I kid.]

Cool, we can close the thread now??

Last edited by TheFozz; 05-20-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:30 PM

Name:  AwesomeThread.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  40.0 KB
Old 05-20-2013, 05:31 PM

Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
In reality I feel bad for the OP, he just dished out some cash and the 'builder' is giving him the run around as to why his motor is damaged. I'm in the process of planning my motor build and would hate to be in this predicament...I know a handful of things about our cars but I still think I'm a noob. BUT that 'builder' is definitely doing something wrong if its not the first motor that he said is damaged by the 'cams'....
Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Originally Posted by Javirex23
In reality I feel bad for the OP, he just dished out some cash and the 'builder' is giving him the run around as to why his motor is damaged.
+1
I'll add something else... even if Crower did send bad cams that caused this (which I am pretty sure they didn't). If the builder sold you the cams as part of the motor package, the warranty is the builder's problem.
You bought a motor right?

Implied Warranty of Merchantability

Implied warranties come in two general types: merchantability and fitness. An implied warranty of merchantability is an unwritten and unspoken guarantee to the buyer that goods purchased conform to ordinary standards of care and that they are of the same average grade, quality, and value as similar goods sold under similar circumstances. In other words, merchantable goods are goods fit for the ordinary purposes for which they are to be used. The Uniform Commercial Code (UCC), adopted by most states, provides that courts may imply a Warranty of merchantability when (1) the seller is the merchant of such goods, and (2) the buyer uses the goods for the ordinary purposes for which such goods are sold (§ 2-314). Thus, a buyer can sue a seller for breaching the implied warranty by selling goods unfit for their ordinary purpose.

There is rarely any question as to whether the seller is the merchant of the goods sold. Nevertheless, in Huprich v. Bitto, 667 So.2d 685 (Ala. 1995), a farmer who sold defective horse feed was found not to be a merchant of horse feed. The court stated that the farmer did not hold himself out as having knowledge or skill peculiar to the sale of corn as horse feed, and therefore was not a merchant of horse feed for purposes of determining a breach of implied warranty of merchantability.

The question of whether goods are fit for their ordinary purpose is much more frequently litigated. Thomas Coffer sued the manufacturer of a jar of mixed nuts after he bit down on an unshelled filbert, believing it to have been shelled, and damaged a tooth. Coffer argued in part that the presence of the unshelled nut among shelled nuts was a breach of the implied warranty of merchantability. Unquestionably, Coffer was using the nuts for their ordinary purpose when he ate them, and unquestionably, he suffered a dental injury when he bit the filbert's hard shell. But the North Carolina appellate court held that the jar of mixed nuts was nonetheless fit for the ordinary purpose for which jars of mixed nuts are used (Coffer v. Standard Brands, 30 N.C. App. 134, 226 S.E.2d 534 [1976]). The court consulted the state agriculture board's regulations and noted that the peanut industry allows a small amount of unshelled nuts to be included with shelled nuts without rendering the shelled nuts inedible or adulterated. The court also noted that shells are a natural incident to nuts.

The policy behind the implied warranty of merchantability is basic: sellers are generally better suited than buyers to determine whether a product will perform properly. Holding the seller liable for a product that is not fit for its ordinary purpose shifts the costs of nonperformance from the buyer to the seller. This motivates the seller to ensure the product's proper performance before placing it on the market. The seller is better able to absorb the costs of a product's nonperformance, usually by spreading the risk to consumers in the form of increased prices.

The policy behind limiting the implied warranty of merchantability to the goods' ordinary use is also straightforward: a seller may not have sufficient expertise or control over a product to ensure that it will perform properly when used for nonstandard purposes.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lowend
+1
I'll add something else... even if Crower did send bad cams that caused this (which I am pretty sure they didn't). If the builder sold you the cams as part of the motor package, the warranty is the builder's problem.
You bought a motor right?

Quick Reply: Defects by Crower Cams & Equipment Co., Inc.