i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/)
-   -   - 1000 for eip racing (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/1000-eip-racing-180699/)

iflycoach 03-09-2008 01:07 AM

- 1000 for eip racing

negative results/impressions from eip racing in san jose, ca. Wouldn't go there again. Had transmission work done and experience was horrible. Plus i think they overcharged me for work that they had no idea how to do and probably shouldn't have been doing in the first place. My fault for trusting them... i hope my tranny doesn't fall apart on me. PM if curious about details.

03_Impreza_Al 03-09-2008 01:09 AM

sorry to hear about that. I haven't heard any positive stories about them yet.

Theres a transmission shop GST recommends in San Jose. I forgot their name I think it might of been Roo's or something like that. Might want to pm GST for more info.

TunerSTI 03-09-2008 01:53 AM

sorry to hear, hope everything gets sorted out for you

SubyN00by 03-09-2008 03:02 AM

ouch, heard great things having to do with them an evos, sux they don't do subaru too well...

flat489 03-09-2008 04:11 AM

NEVER go to EIP. their work is really bad. My friend had his a4 in there almost 3months, was supposed to take 2 wks max. He kept getting promised different things and eip never delivered on them. He just recently got service done at another shop and it turns out eip never put the front crash beam back on. Also his wheel bearings were never replaced even though he told them 15+ times it needed to be looked at and replaced.
Then my friend with his evo got work done there after his crash and pretty much recieved the same quality service. His ic piping was done really ****ty and they blew a day after they 'fixed' his car.

Overall that place is just shady as hell, and i wouldnt let them work on my car.
id rather stick with the lic gst and mpj type shops of the bay.

PikkaGTR 03-10-2008 12:04 AM

I would have to agree
went there because they are closer to my house to ask some ?s about my dsm
horrible attitude and really gave me the runaround
went and called full function and sean gave me great service
bought a bunch of stuff from them and drove to pick it up
great bunch of guys

iflycoach 03-26-2008 04:40 PM

update: called eip racing to complain about the performance of the car and other issues that i've had (i.e. stock part that was removed and given back to me broken). They agreed to refund me some of the money for their poor service. Thanks. Next time i will save myself the trouble and go elsewhere. I hope everybody in this forum will too.

hunter 03-26-2008 10:49 PM

**** on EIP--seems like the motto of everyone I've met since I moved here from the south. However, my experience has been much different in many regards. Sometimes when I meet people have good things to say about EIP, people are so critical that I start to feel like their *****, but hey, that's just me being honest with you; laugh cause it's funny, but I am a VERY critical person generally, and customer in particular. Also, this shop has A LOT of business and repeat business.

I've been loyal to them for almost two years.

What's it like to get some work done there:
1. They give you a money quote. In my experience, it has always seemed low, much less than I've expected to pay actually. Shops in GA and in Chicago charged much more for their work. When you get the final bills, it's the same or less. When you bring the car back for follow-up regarding something they have done (for instance, a modification to some body work), they have always done this work for me ASAP and for FREE. Really. This Monday Louis and his paint/body men spent about 2 hours on my front lip and then Paul spent about a hour with the car on the dyno troubleshooting a very unusual ECU problem. As usual, I offered to pay for their time and service, and they turned me down.

2. Time to complete your job. About 5 times I have brought them my car for major work. I can honestly say that my car has spent a lot of time at their shop the last year. When I get a time estimate, say they tell me three weeks for a bunch of work, I double it and then keep my expectations flexible. That said, when I need some work done ASAP or when minor installations or tuning needs to be done, I bring the car by on short or no notice, often borrow a loaner car, go have some fun in San Jose, and then pick up my car the same day.
I actually believe that they don't work as efficiently as they could for a number of reasons: one, Louis and Paul take time to talk to their customers frequently and just being friendly (often customers go there to hang out for a while); two, they want to take their time on jobs and do it right. They recently did some engine work for me and paint and body work. It took a while. But I'm very pleased with their work and service. And having been a frequent customer there the last two years, I have noticed their service and quality of work really improve.

3. Service and friendliness. You have to understand that at EIP Louis and Paul speak English. These are your options to talk with. Paul and one other mechanic are go to guys for mechanical work. Their paint and body guys don't speak English, so don't expect to chat with them. This leaves Louis. When you go to EIP and you need attention or service, TALK TO LOUIS. He is dedicated to service, and he will take care of your concerns. Trust me, I've been a pissed off customer before; I've raised hell and said and written mean things. Even still, unlike at some shops where you would be told to **** off, Louis was keen to keep my business (though I really don't see how they make money off me given the prices for all the work they do) and has always worked with me to keep my business, address my concerns or questions and make sure that his shop does their work well. If you are not happy with something they have done, go talk to Louis. It's usually that simple to get your issue solved. And I have trusted EIP increasingly with important and detailed mechanic, paint/body, and tuning work. No one can deny that they have built and tuned some ****ing awesome cars (and mine isn't even close to being one of these cars--I'm talking about really great looking and strong cars I've seen there).
If you go to EIP and you have a detailed mechanical or tuning question, talk to Paul. Sometimes you go to the shop and he is busy and doesn't really even look at customers--he just works and then you talk to Louis, who then talks to Paul and/or goes and gets Paul for you. Sometimes you go to EIP, and Paul is engaging and very friendly. I really think it is about how busy and pressured he is that day and time. Though, honestly, when I have needed his help ASAP, I've went to shop without any advanced notice, and he has made time for me that day and solved my car troubles or worries (cause I used to freak out about my car making some new sound or unusual feeling or whatever). I'm telling you, Paul has taken more vague symptoms about my car than a doctor does about your headache or fatigue or belly ache. He's figured out what was up with my car quickly and got it running great fast. Sometimes he's been like, I'd don't know what you're talking about Brandon, your car is fine: and he was right those times.

hunter 03-26-2008 11:14 PM

4. Attention to detail. I found that if I type out a list of all the work I done on my car, they will do everything on the list, even small, detailed things, and do it well and correctly the first time. Then I don't have to ask or double check if they did everything. When I have doubted them, I discovered that I was wrong in doubting their service. Now, really, when a shop has done good by you for over a year, you get suspicous and pissed off, and talk **** about the guys, and then you get proof that you were incorrect about whatever the matter was, it's really embarrassing; and I've felt ashamed about it. I don't know how many of y'all haters have ever done the same thing at this shop or others, but if you have, be the man about it and don't just talk **** for the rest of your life about the place. If you have a problem, question, or concern about any service or work done at EIP, go talk to Louis. Problems will be solved. And I've learned from experience that communication is not the strong point of this shop; because of that, it's easy to misunderstand each other or to doubt what work was done, how it was done, etc. In most cases, I was wrong in doubting or suspecting them. In cases where I was right, which have only been really small things, I just talked to Louis and he took care of it right away.
My main advice: write a detailed list of what you want done and how. Give it them with your car. Pick up your car and double check your list with what you see and get back, in terms of your car. If you see anything missing or not done as you prescribed, then tell Louis. Problem gets solved right away usually.

5. Care for your car while at the shop. In total, my car has spent MONTHS at their shop (most because I don't order parts ahead of time, had a serious crash, and get a bunch of big jobs done all at once there). I have gotten the car back with minor scratches and dents. A little dirtier in the cracks. Let's be honest, they don't keep the cleanest shop or pamper your car as much as they might should. But when this has happened, I've pointed it out to Louis and he took care of it when I brought the car by or the next time it was at the shop for other work, even if I didn't notice for many days after picking up my car.

In summary, the shop isn't perfect. But no where is, especially among shops that do it all. EIP is one of the only places I've even known to do mechanical, tuning and paint and body work. And no matter how much you love your car, you have to be reasonable.

I've used 4 shops for my car in total. A subie dealership outside Atlanta, Driver's Image in Chicago, EIP here, and recently did some dyno pulls at SpeedElement to compare results on a different dyno. The staff at EIP have been the most friendly and provided the best service at anywhere I have ever been. Andy at SpeedElement was very nice and awesome to work with, but the rest of the guys at that shop hardly spoke a word to me and didn't seem friendly, except for a young guy their working on his STI engine.

The work that EIP has done on my car, mechanical and tuning, has been outstanding. The paint and body work has been pretty good and when I've had any issue they were quick to fix it--to get an overall great result. I mean, EIP cars own 1st and 2nd AWD at JDM theory in San Jose car show where other local shops were more heavily represented. That has to say something in itself. I was personally VERY impressed with the showing of other shops that day, especially SpeedElement Evos. But somehow EIP Subarus got 1st and 2nd AWD!
The price for any and all work they have done for me has always been awesome. I've seen the same for other customers, and I think that the guys at EIP try to save customers the most money they can, on parts and labor.

EIP is damn good shop.

I once crashed my car late on a Saturday night, had it towed to EIP and dropped off about 3 am Sunday morning, left Louis and voicemail, and he came into work Sunday morning to move my car into their shop rather than leaving it in the parking lot for a day. Really, how many shop general managers would do that?

Finally, they have a lot of Subie and Evo business, they have a lot of other business too. And a lot of repeat business. So despite all the hating, it's obvious that they do a lot of things well.

Like Shawty Lo said, "Big ups! To all my haters."

iflycoach 03-27-2008 12:10 AM

well it's great to hear that you received great service from them and have been. I am honestly very happy for you. My ordeal with them leaves me with a rather bitter taste about the whole experience. I have experienced the total opposite from you. Am i alone? maybe... but i was just posting this as a feedback for others to read up on when selecting a shop for their performance options. I've noticed there hasn't been too much feedback about EIP racing on these forums.
What's it like to get MY work done there?
1. they provide me with a quote for the work being done. Fine. Is it below standards or a low quote? no, not really. Assuming shops charge about $100-$125/hour and about 7 hours of work. It was right on the money. They didn't offer me a "loaner" car... so lucky you for getting that option. Must be the special treatment or something.
2. Time to complete your job. They quoted me one day for my install to be done. Usually this is a job that takes about 7-10 hours. So one day was fine with me. I call them up the next day, because i hadn't heard from them, and they tell me they had some problems and were waiting for clarification. I call them back, and they inform me that it will be another day. Fine. As long as the work gets done right. I call them up 2 days later, same result. Having problems, blah blah blah, it's going to take another day. Everything is in... just waiting for clarification for one more part to be installed. Should be ready by noonish tomorrow. Ok. Same thoughts. As long as the work gets done right. I call them up 3 days later, still not done. I decided to show up around noonish because that's when he said the work would be done. I show up... not done. In fact, they still haven't put all the parts into the car! They told me the day before, they were just waiting to install one last piece. I ended up waiting around for them another 4 hours before my car was FINALLY ready!
3. Service and friendliness. Service was less than spectacular. I didn't receive one phone call about the status of my car or even to let me know they would need it another day. It was me calling them. I like everybody else, work for a living... so a little heads up about things like these would be nice so i don't have to waste my time driving down to san jose. Friendliness? yeah i guess they were civil on the phone. You are right. Talk to Louis. He is very patient, listens, but offers very little expressions to really let you know he cares. I told him about my frustrations, and all i got back was pretty much a blank stare. But, he didn't yell at me or anything. I guess he's an understanding guy, but just lacks the ability to express it.

iflycoach 03-27-2008 12:30 AM

4. Attention to detail. Huh? yeah right. On their website they quote themselves for performing "custom transmission builds". My transmission work was hardly a build, but simply a swap. Modded transmission parts going in, stock parts coming out. Pretty straight forward right? One would think so. I called them up initially to make sure everything was going to be alright and they knew what they were getting themselves into. They reassured me that they knew what was going on. I GAVE them a contact number of the person (phone number + email, both 1 week prior to going in) i bought the parts from, who could walk them through the swaps if they had any problems. What happens after i bring my car in? I call them up, they tell me they ran into a problem, they tell me what the problem is, and all work stops. They are waiting from a response from my contact person to let them know what to do next. First of all, why are they asking me about the problems they're having with the install? aren't THEY the professionals? if i knew how to do this, i would be doing it myself. What would they have done had i not provided this contact person to them?! How would they have gotten themselves out of that mess? Coincidently this happened more than once with my experience with them. It pretty much occurred with every part they tried to install on my car. With the exception of the tranny temp gauge (which i really hope they didn't mess up either). Why would a professional shop like that take on a job/install that they couldn't handle AND quote me one day to get it done?
5. Care for your car. I don't know how you find it acceptable, but if my car were scratched or dented while it was being serviced there, or ANYWHERE else... i would not find that acceptable even if they did offer to take care of it... like they SHOULD. And why weren't they more honest with you about scratching your car anyways? like you wouldn't notice! With my experience, i asked for my stock parts to be kept and given back to me after swapping in the modded parts. I received my stock parts back alright. BROKEN! They didn't even tell me... tried to pass it off like nothing happened. What am i going to do with broken stock parts? And how would they break with a swap like that? because EIP racing does not take care of your car while doing their services. They probably just manhandle everything in there until it goes in... or it comes out.

Write a list of what i want done before going in? great idea, but how many times do i have to go in there and tell them what they're supposed to be doing? come on now... this is a place of business, and these are professionals. I don't want to be wasting my time double checking to make sure they did the job right when that's what i'm paying them for! that's not trust! Learn from your mistakes! A GOOD shop, A good installer... is one that you tell them what you need and they get it done right. The first time. Everytime. Now i understand there may be circumstances that come up where problems occur after the fact, and a good business will take care of those problems. But those shouldn't be the norm. And it shouldn't involve work they should have done, that you requested be done, but didn't get done. If you're really having all these issues that keep coming up with your car, why don't you take it to a different installer/tuner, get it done right, and maybe you won't be dragging yourself back to EIP on and off for the next year.

In summary, it is really not worth your time/effort/money to take your car to EIP. There are MANY MANY other trustworthy tuners/installers in our area or near our area to have to put up with shady business/service like this. If i want an install done... i will consider LIC/GST/Speed element. If i need a tune? GST/EQ. Why waste your time, when you can take it to the best? I have taken my car to LIC/GST/Speed element/Lee Myles to have work done to it... and you know what the biggest difference was? I have NEVER... not once... NEVER had to take it back because there was something wrong with it afterwards. And this is major work... we are talking tranny swap (that EIP couldn't do right), turbo installs, pipe work, performance mods, gauge installs, and protunes. Not one problem. Ever. Until EIP racing.

by the way. Going into the shop the next morning to move your car out of their lot after you had it towed there isn't really a nice thing to to.... it should be expected. If you had your parking area for your shop out in an open area like that, as a manager you SHOULD be doing that.

hunter 03-27-2008 08:53 AM

Hey man,

Sorry to hear about your trouble with the transmission work. I had some transmission work done there and it was done well.

I just want to clarify some of my earlier statements.

There prices have been low, and they have always done any follow up work regarding their previous work for free.

Time to complete the project is usually long. When you ask them to install or build something they have not done before, they will take time to call to figure out what they are doing before just working on your car and getting the job done. But, still, time to complete significant builds there is still long. I think it's worth the wait though if you can get by without your car for a while. I am fortunate in that I can walk to where I work and borrow friends cars to get around otherwise.

As for phone calls, I have gotten phone calls before filling me in on their progress or giving me a heads up that something actually cannot be done they way I asked, or is risky to do the way I asked. I've had a lot of custom work done by EIP.

Look, Louis cares. I think you have to be a nice guy too, and you'll get a better response. This is true of anyone. I do though know what you mean about the blank looks. It's kind of funny and frustrating when it happens. But, in my experience, Louis has only looked that way when I was *****ing about something and he was not sure what I wanted or way trying to say. After clarifying my point, his look charged. I think that if you are not *****ing and/or if you are very clear spoken, then you don't get the look. When you do, it's just his way of asking you to clarify what you want. A lot of people actually use that kind of look to illicit further information.

As you mentioned about car care, it is hard to accept a minor scratch or dent. I come from trucks before my STI. And my car is a grocery getting and walmart goer. Minor scratches and dents come with use of any vehicle, and all the more so with aggressive driving and city parking. It's often difficult to know where the scratch or dent originally came from. But, EIP painted my whole car. The car often gets compliments on the paint job. When I think that something happened while they had the car, I tell Louis and he usually fixes it right away. I've found, though, that the less *****ing one does the faster all your issues get solved. But, yeah, these kinds of things shouldn't be issues, and they don't really keep cars at the shop as clean or as cared for as they should. I think that any shop will accidently scratch or dent a car that they've been pushing around the parking lot for months though. That was the case with my car, because it was not running many time they did major work for me.

Writing a list is helpful, bottom line. Then you don't have to speak many times. And, lastly, I think that any of us will take a look (double check) work done on our cars at any shop. You want to see what as installed; you want to see the paint/body work; you want to see the performance/power difference, right? That's all I mean. If you get a part installed, you're going to look at it no matter what shop you take the car to.
I make the list because I regularly ask them to do a lot of small things that many of you would do yourself. I don't do any work on my car. I have no tools and no where to work on my car. I would prefer to pay someone to do very minor things to my car than take the time to do it myself. So I make a list because I have ten little, details I ask them to do with every bigger job.

In summary, you mention other shops. The thought has crossed my mind. In fact, I know people now and many of those places and I'm definitely not an idiot too stupid to learn from the past. But here is the key, the biggest reasons why I'm still with EIP.
1. They have done so much work on my car. They have basically rebuilt the car, engine, tuning, paint and body. Not everything is perfect with the car, but no car that sees the road is perfect. And no other shop knows my car like EIP does. And, really, I don't think that another shop would take possession of my car as a project like EIP. I used them for everything for my car. And so I really have a sense that they know my car and that they take pride in having built it and when working on it. When you have a heavily modified car, it's good to have a single shop that takes care of your car, knows the car, has done most of the work on the car, and take some responsibility for your car. Other shops will not do that. And I don't think that I just get special treatment. If I do, I think it's because I've been a loyal, repeat customer.
2. There is something to be said for loyalty in itself. No enough people I know really have it any more. But when a person has taken care of your business for a while, and when you've been a pissed off customer and they've been annoyed with you but still provided good service, then--at least for me--that's pretty good grounds for being loyal to a place. Like I said, I've used 4 shops. EIP is the dirtiest and less detail-oriented shop of them all. But EIP gets the job done, great prices, great service, and takes responsibility for their work and more generally for my car.
I'd say it would be something like the difference between having a one or two time babysitter for your kid who holds down the fort but who is pretty much indifferent, versus having a reliable and loving nanny for your kid who basically does everything well but who may not speak the best English. Most people would leave their car in the care of the nanny before taking chances on who they can find when they go looking for a babysitters. When you call a babysitter and say, "My kid is really sick but can you come over and take care of him; I've got to work" you have a hard time finding an enthusiastic babysitter. When you have a good nanny, the nanny knows your kid is sick already, or wants to come right over as soon as she knows, and is very eager to take care of your kid's problems. After a couple years, that's they difference in service that I get from EIP on my car versus when I got to other shops, and I think that's because EIP does take responsibility for their work and cars they build. And--like I said--they do EVERYTHING for my car, and have pretty much rebuilt the whole car because of all the upgrades I've wanted. When I brought them the car, it was 220 whp; now it's almost 420 whp and running great, looks great, rides great. What else could you want from a shop?

Lboogie 04-03-2008 03:25 PM

If ANYy shops mechanics arent certified, they arent worth more than $50/hour in my opinion. I feel like prices are going up every year but quality of service is shrinking.

slow04wrx 04-04-2008 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=Lboogie;2163375]If ANYy shops mechanics arent certified, they arent worth more than $50/hour in my opinion. I feel like prices are going up every year but quality of service is shrinking.[/QUOTE]

I rather do it myself if they aren't certified, **** even the certified ones can screw ya.

iflycoach 06-22-2008 03:17 PM

still wouldn't go there. they sent me a refund. We agreed on $350. They sent me $150. Great service.