i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Teh Politics Forum (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/)
-   -   Wear The Flag, get sent home. (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/wear-flag-get-sent-home-218953/)

FW Motorsports 05-06-2010 07:51 AM

Wear The Flag, get sent home.

[URL="http://www.ajc.com/news/boys-booted-from-high-521123.html?cxtype=rss_news_128746"]Boys booted from high school campus for wearing American flag shirts, bandannas[/URL]

[QUOTE]Five California high school students were kicked off their campus Wednesday for wearing t-shirts and bandannas emblazoned with American flags on Cinco de Mayo, a San Francisco television station reported...

...One of the boys, Daniel Galli, told the station that he and four friends were sitting at a table eating brunch when a [B]vice principal told two of them to remove American flag bandannas from around their heads, and the other three to turn their American flag t-shirts inside out.[/B] They refused to do so and were sent to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day, [B]but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday [/B]so we were not allowed to wear it today," Galli told KNTV. The school has a large number of Mexican-American students, the NBC affiliate reported.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://cbs5.com/education/american.flag.shirts.2.1677973.html"]S. Bay Students Wearing U.S. Flag Shirts Sent Home[/URL]

[QUOTE]"[B]Our Hispanic vice principal [/B]was taking their side, and was thinking that we were being racist towards them, so he was discriminating against us, making us take off our stuff," Dariano said.

"We're not trying to start trouble," said student Austin Carvalho. "We're in America. We can't wear our own colors?"

The boys refused to take off the shirts. They were not suspended, but they were sent home.

Referring to his shirt, student Dominic Maciel said, "I think it was disrespectful to my country, if I flip this inside out." Maciel is also part Mexican.

The parents of the five boys said the school's decision was un-American.[/QUOTE]

Miguel Rodriguez is the vice principal that threatened the students.

ryball 05-06-2010 08:11 AM

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuull****.

Superglue WRX 05-06-2010 08:54 AM

[QUOTE]By sundown, the district met with all the students and parents, and they all got good news. The t-shirts can stay.[/QUOTE]

Vice principal is a dickbag and should be reprimanded.

Overbear 05-06-2010 09:03 AM

There is a thread over on pirate4x4 on this, in chit-chat...that has the email addresses for the admin staff in it. I would suggest going, and sending some email.

This pissed me off big time.

jewpac42 05-06-2010 09:03 AM

Apparently someone had never heard of the 1st amendment, or that Cinco de Mayo is really a BS holiday Americans use as an excuse to get drunk on tequila and eat tex-mex.

Guillermo 05-06-2010 09:37 AM

That is ridiculous. I understand it's a Mexican holiday, but we are in the U.S. and those kids should be able to wear their American flag shirts if they want. What a disgrace to have a Mexican Vice-Principal be so closed minded.

Dong Homez 05-06-2010 09:44 AM

Just like burritos, Cinco de Mayo is a US invention. It's a great marketing campaign to sell a ton of beer, chips, and avocados.

The kids did nothing wrong, but used very poor judgement. I wonder who the ACLU is going to back.

Overbear 05-06-2010 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=Dong Homez;2866913]but used very poor judgement[/QUOTE]

:suspicious:

When is it poor judgment to want to show support for the country you live in?

This ain't mexico, its the USA, our flag ain't the ugly red white and green thing with the bird on it, ours is the stars and stripes. You(as in someone) want to be all Mexican patriotic, go back to Mexico.

joltdudeuc 05-06-2010 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=Overbear;2866922]:suspicious:

When is it poor judgment to want to show support for the country you live in?

This ain't mexico, its the USA, our flag ain't the ugly red white and green thing with the bird on it, ours is the stars and stripes. You(as in someone) want to be all Mexican patriotic, go back to Mexico.[/QUOTE]
As much as I support those kids,

You are ****ing sack of **** :mad:

ruehl 05-06-2010 10:15 AM

i bet if it was forth and july and some kids wore flags of a country other than the U.S nothing would happen....

jewpac42 05-06-2010 10:23 AM

[QUOTE=joltdudeuc;2866924]As much as I support those kids,

You are ****ing sack of **** :mad:[/QUOTE]
While he said it pretty racistly, I agree with the sentiment. Those kids did not use poor judgement. If they want to wear their countries colors, no matter what day it is, they have the right to do so. Just like if someone wants to wear a t-shirt with the flag of another country on the 4th of July they have every right to do so and should face no backlash as a result.

joltdudeuc 05-06-2010 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=jewpac42;2866935]While he said it pretty racistly, I agree with the sentiment. Those kids did not use poor judgement. If they want to wear their countries colors, no matter what day it is, they have the right to do so. Just like if someone wants to wear a t-shirt with the flag of another country on the 4th of July they have every right to do so and should face no backlash as a result.[/QUOTE]
"As much as I support those kids"

means I have no problems with them wearing those shirts. I don't think there's a lack of judgment either.

Overbear has a serious lack of judgment, and it's way over the top. He needs to tone that **** down. I won't stand for it. even if I means I gotta get dished points for flamming.

GG STi15 05-06-2010 10:28 AM

:sign0015:

nic3krnnamja83 05-06-2010 10:30 AM

As much as I agree that it is there right to wear whatever they choose, it almost seems blatant that they wore that on Cinco de Mayo to get a rise out of those who were of Mexican/Spanish decent.

I mean would they have worn that any other day of the week? Especially a group of them?

What the vice principle did is stupid, especially according to this:

"They said we could wear it on any other day, but [B]today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today[/B]," Galli told KNTV. The school has a large number of Mexican-American students, the NBC affiliate reported.

^^ Who says that?

GG STi15 05-06-2010 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=joltdudeuc;2866938]"As much as I support those kids"

means I have no problems with them wearing those shirts. I don't think there's a lack of judgment either.

Overbear has a serious lack of judgment, and it's way over the top. He needs to tone that **** down. I won't stand for it. even if I means I gotta get dished points for flamming.[/QUOTE]

And I agree with this. Disclosing admins contact info and harassment is not the answer.

I have to believe that Live Oak administration generally has the best interest of their students and faculty in mind.