Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

US Torture Policies: Fuleing the flames of anti-American sentiment

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 07:23 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
US Torture Policies: Fueling the flames of anti-American sentiment

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...worldviews.DTL

Bush recently met with leaders in Europe to assure them that the US doesnt turture detainees in covert op detainment centers. Of course we dont. We are the world leader, the bastion of democracy, the city on a hill.

Of course, Bush is lying through his teeth and there is mounting evidence that he knows otherwise.

From the article:
"Overseas, political observers in countries that normally are generally friendly to and have tended to respect the United States are sounding increasingly disillusioned about the attitude of the government under Bush's watch. Writing in Spain's El País, commentator Andrés Ortega noted that there is a growing "trans-Atlantic distance" separating the thinking of Europeans and the Bush administration as far as "the value and content of international law" are concerned."

This issue has less to do with the morality of torture than it has to do with national integrity and being forthright. I am constantly amazed by how so many people accept this type of behaviour without even wincing.

Last edited by dub2w; 12-13-2005 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:28 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
I think that the extent to which agents and others are using torture tactics is unexcusable. I would imagine that it has yielded them very little usable intel. On the other hand though, had it been used under only certain requisite criteria in certain conditions I feel that I would have greatly reduced the suffering of others and aimed at better potential. That's just me though. Torture should never be used by I do think some interogation techniques should be in certain instances. Just my $0.02.