i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Teh Politics Forum (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/)
-   -   UO Student's Research Tells Us Something We Already Knew (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/uo-students-research-tells-us-something-we-already-knew-207046/)

Irrational X 07-15-2009 12:09 PM

UO Student's Research Tells Us Something We Already Knew

[url]http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0713/p09s02-coop.html[/url]

[I]*Note* article not written by a conservative.[/I]

[QUOTE]Yet, out of the 111 registered Oregon voters in the departments of journalism, law, political science, economics, and sociology, there were only two registered Republicans.

[...]

A number of conservative students told me they felt Republican ideas were frequently caricatured and rarely presented fairly. Did the dearth of conservative professors on campus and apparent marginalization of ideas on the right belie the university's commitment to providing a marketplace of ideas?

[...]

I also suggested that students working on right-leaning ideas may have difficulty finding faculty mentors. I couldn't imagine, for instance, that journalism that supported the Iraq war or gun rights would be met with much enthusiasm.

[...]

A professor who confronted me declared that he was "[U]personally offended[/U]" by my column. He railed that his political viewpoints never affected his teaching and suggested that if I wanted a faculty with Republicans I should have attended a university in the South. "If you like conservatism you can certainly attend the [U]University of Texas and you can walk past the statue of Jefferson Davis everyday[/U] on your way to class," he wrote in an e-mail.[/QUOTE]

Sad but true. The common "Diversity is good, unless you disagree with the liberal establishment" mentality.

Original Article in school paper:
[url]http://media.www.dailyemerald.com/media/storage/paper859/news/2009/06/01/Opinion/A.Vast.Disparity-3745308.shtml[/url]

FW Motorsports 07-15-2009 01:24 PM

"Liberalism is a mental disease."

ryball 07-15-2009 01:33 PM

I found that mentality with most professors in many aspects beyond politics.

"Debate and free thinking is encouraged, unless it contradicts me."

horsecut54 07-15-2009 02:02 PM

As people do better, they start voting like Republicans -- unless they have too much education and vote Democratic, which proves there can be too much of a good thing.
Karl Rove

When you read more, and are exposed to more, and use logic the outcomes are almost always the same. How many of you went to university??

sigma pi 07-15-2009 02:12 PM

<---------------

take a guess :lol:

[QUOTE=horsecut54;2665342]As people do better, they start voting like Republicans -- unless they have too much education and vote Democratic, which proves there can be too much of a good thing.
Karl Rove

When you read more, and are exposed to more, and use logic the outcomes are almost always the same. How many of you went to university??[/QUOTE]

horsecut54 07-15-2009 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=sigma pi;2665346]<---------------

take a guess :lol:[/QUOTE]

Let me guess, business student??

sigma pi 07-15-2009 02:14 PM

OH and 90% of the guys in the fraternity were republican :lol:

sigma pi 07-15-2009 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=horsecut54;2665348]Let me guess, business student??[/QUOTE]
and comparative literature :D

i got both

sigma pi 07-15-2009 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=horsecut54;2665348]Let me guess, business student??[/QUOTE]
and this is not delta sigma pi the business club with a greek letters :rolleyes:

this is a social fraternity

horsecut54 07-15-2009 02:17 PM

Well of course they were they were in a frat! Its the good ol' boy network.

sigma pi 07-15-2009 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=horsecut54;2665353]Well of course they were they were in a frat! Its the good ol' boy network.[/QUOTE]
:lol: wtf

horsecut54 07-15-2009 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=sigma pi;2665354]:lol: wtf[/QUOTE]

You're from LA, you were a business student, who was in a frat, of course you are conservative. No one is mad about it.

So everyone who is running around saying the sky is falling when 90% of sociology, and philosophy (humanities) professors are liberal. Just seems a little silly? Am I right. They choose to spend their lives studying the world around them, is it no wonder they are humanitarian by nature??
[ATTACH]143612[/ATTACH]

horsecut54 07-15-2009 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=ryball;2665309]I found that mentality with most professors in many aspects beyond politics.

"Debate and free thinking is encouraged, unless it contradicts me."[/QUOTE]

If you cant argue logically for why you hold your philosophies in an academic setting then they are NOT valid. Don't take it as "he wont listen because I am contradicting." Just because you hold an opinion doesn't make it valid.

sigma pi 07-15-2009 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=horsecut54;2665356]You're from LA, you were a business student, who was in a frat, of course you are conservative. No one is mad about it.

So everyone who is running around saying the sky is falling when 90% of sociology, and philosophy (humanities) professors are liberal. Just seems a little silly? Am I right. They choose to spend their lives studying the world around them, is it no wonder they are humanitarian by nature??
[/QUOTE]

yes and all their studying has solved teh worlds problems :rolleyes:
they are useless
in the 50s (i think it was the 50s) were these the same people that went to russia thinking communism was the best thing ever

actually im originally from hawaii one of the most libral states in the US

Irrational X 07-15-2009 03:02 PM

[QUOTE=horsecut54;2665342]How many of you went to university??[/QUOTE]

<---

Aerospace Eng then switched to PoliSci, now I'm doing Economics.