Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

U.S. Gov't bought weapons and ammo ending up in hands of Taliban

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 AM
banned

Car Info: Honda RVT RC51
U.S. Gov't bought weapons and ammo ending up in hands of Taliban

Seems to be a leak in the pipeline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/wo...o.html?_r=2&hp
Old 05-27-2009, 11:08 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
What, we're not selling the weapons to them directly anymore?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:45 AM

Car Info: Nadda
This is pretty old news. We funded osama a while ago for one of his wars. We funded Hussain for one of his wars. We funded a lot of terrorists =) with ammo and weapons

The reason I'll be released is the same reason you think I'll be convicted. I *do* rub shoulders with some of the most vile, sadistic men calling themselves leaders today. But some of these men are the enemies of *your* enemies. And while the biggest arms dealer in the world is your boss - the President of the United States, who ships more merchandise in a day than I do in a year - sometimes it's embarrassing to have his fingerprints on the guns. Sometimes he needs a freelancer like me to supply forces he can't be seen supplying. So. You call me evil, but unfortunately for you, I'm a necessary evil. -Yuri Orlov

There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? -Yuri Orlov
Old 05-27-2009, 11:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
No doubt there is some truth to what is said. We did provide ammo to Afgan forces. That article is pure speculative reporting. The old york times has a tendency to report opinionated stories.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:03 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I know a little about munitions and actually have a friend that's into the Lord of War scene.

Anyway, that Wolf ammo is made in Russia, by the same factories that make the Russian Mil Spec ammo.

Is the US gov't directly supplying the Taliban?
No.

But they are definitely using whatever ammo & munitions they can get their hands on; we're putting the squeeze on 'em & they're having to pay top dollar for anything.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Is the US gov't directly supplying the Taliban?
No.
Yep. If memory serves, I actually don't think we ever supplied the Taliban, or even individuals who later came to be a part of the Taliban, with weapons. What we did was give weapons, money and training to Mujahideen and various Afghani warlords. When we pulled out after the Afghan-Russian war, it left a power vacuum, which the Taliban then stepped into and seized control.

Again, from memory, so the details may be a bit off.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by saqwarrior
Yep. If memory serves, I actually don't think we ever supplied the Taliban, or even individuals who later came to be a part of the Taliban, with weapons. What we did was give weapons, money and training to Mujahideen and various Afghani warlords. When we pulled out after the Afghan-Russian war, it left a power vacuum, which the Taliban then stepped into and seized control.

Again, from memory, so the details may be a bit off.
I'm not exactly sure how we managed to get weapons there under the Red Army's nose, but this was an interesting article that was posted a week after 9/11

http://www.rferl.org/content/article/1097442.html

Afghanistan: The Taliban's Rise To Power
September 18, 2001
By Alexandra Poolos

Afghanistan's Islamic Taliban militia, which today controls nearly all of Afghanistan, is also harboring fugitive terrorism suspect Osama bin Laden. The Taliban has become the primary focus of a call by the United States for a full-scale war against terrorism.

Prague, 18 September 2001 (RFE/RL) -- From students to conquerors, the members of the Taliban Islamic militia have come a long way fast.

The Taliban -- literally "the Seekers" -- was founded in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar by graduates of Pakistani religious colleges. Their aims were to end the political chaos that had been ongoing in Afghanistan since the Soviet withdrawal in 1989 and to impose a strict interpretation of Islam.

Their ascent to power began seven years ago, when a 30-truck convoy from Pakistan was nabbed by an Afghan warlord in southern Afghanistan. A small band of Taliban militants came to the rescue, freeing the convoy and executing the hijackers in the desert.

With that initial public appearance, the Taliban emerged as a reformist force to be reckoned with -- honest, fierce, and devoutly Islamic.........

Back on topic, how exactly can we handle a nut job like Il w/o him attacking his neighbors? Do we wait and call his bluff? Do we find ever more ways to apply trade embargoes? Do we hire assassins from SK to take him out, make it look like an accident? Blame the Jews?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
When in doubt, blame the Jews.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:37 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Cool

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
But they are definitely using whatever ammo & munitions they can get their hands on; they're having to pay top dollar for anything.
Well they're not the only ones getting raped by these current ammo prices. Even Wolf .223 is going for over $300/case.