i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Teh Politics Forum (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/)
-   -   To those of you that don't believe in the death penalty. (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/those-you-dont-believe-death-penalty-102798/)

IS2Scooby 06-18-2005 12:55 AM

To those of you that don't believe in the death penalty.

[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8258745/[/url]

[quote]FRESNO, Calif. - Marcus Wesson, the domineering patriarch of a clan bred through incest, was convicted Friday of murdering nine of his children, whose bodies were found in a bloody pile last year at the end of a police standoff.

Wesson’s conviction on nine counts of first-degree murder makes him eligible for the death penalty. He also was found guilty on all 14 counts of raping and molesting seven of his underage daughters and nieces.[/quote]

Fry that mother****er.

Salty 06-18-2005 10:06 AM

Hey now.

There's the tiny possibility he [i]could[/I] be innocent so we'll allow him 20yrs of appeals and the opportunity to waste thousands upon thousands of tax dollars to keep him alive. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=IS2Scooby]Fry that mother*****r.[/QUOTE]

Twice.

EricDaRed81 06-18-2005 11:01 AM

Fry him and many others

gpatmac 06-18-2005 03:26 PM

Wouldn't it be cool if you could practice your surgery skills on him?

I'd of course do the obvious stuff first. Cut off an appendage. Allow him to bleed out to near death and then see how long it would take him to regenerate his blood naturally, as well as monitor what effects that would have on him. I'd be interested to see how he'd react if I were hammer a wooden stake in his mouth, through his neck, ensuring that I 'miss' his spine; then I'd just leave it there and note how his body sends antibodies to that spike. Then pick some non-lethal parts of his body (nutsack, hand, kneecap...) and observe the effects of different caliber gunshot wounds. It'd be neat to cut an artery and by using the velocity and trajectory of his blood, create a large mural over the course of a few weeks, obviously not allowing him to bleed out (or pass out.) He wouldn't need that penis anymore, right? I'd imagine that based on 'punishment fitting the crime' (at least in my mind) he wouldn't have major issues in getting denutted like livestock (my father used a set of bolt cutters when he was a kid) as penitance for his crimes.

Sorry for the ramble.

Salty 06-18-2005 08:10 PM

I agree.

But human rights advocates would be all over you. I can see them making Dr. Mengele comparisons. For the record 18D's do this to pigs in the medical course,

VIBEELEVEN 06-18-2005 11:48 PM

They could test out new weapons on him like they used to do to criminals in fuedal japan.

MVWRX 06-21-2005 11:36 AM

If there was no death penalty, this guy would have a worse experience than being humanely euthanized (being killed by the US judicial system is painless...PAINLESS!!!!). I say put him in with the inmates who hate child-killers. Better punishment, cheaper, and it doesn't insite the type of "kill em all" attitude that has tainted this very thread.

If I had comitted a heinous crime, I'd rather die than live life in prison. If I had a family member brutally murdered, I'd rather see the perp suffer for the rest of his life in a federall-pound-him-in-the-ass-penn. Why do we consider the death penalty to be a better punishment than life in prison? Because people are selfish and vengful. If you want to kill people who have done you wrong by killing, then they have defeated your character and you are now as bad as they. The death penalty is wrong, no matter how brutal a crime is.

FW Motorsports 06-21-2005 12:40 PM

MVWRX:

While I agree with the spirit of your idea, but the one thing that you failed to mention is that once the perp is dead, there's a 100% guarantee that the perp will never kill again.
If a mass murderer is sent to prison, there's a chance, albeit small, that he/she could kill again.

Just a thought.

MVWRX 06-21-2005 01:00 PM

That's true, but I'm suggesting life w/o any chance of EVER getting out. That way, if they do kill again, it will be someone who has killed and therefore it is part of the punishment (if you kill someone, you go to jail forever and could be killed by another killer).

Salty 06-21-2005 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=MVWRX]That's true, but I'm suggesting life w/o any chance of EVER getting out.[/QUOTE]

But you forget it costs thousands upon thousands of taxpayers' money to keep him alive for life. Why not just kill him off and be done with it? Besides, nobody ever thinks of the families they have effected. A lot of them do not get closure until that person dies. Why wait?

MVWRX 06-21-2005 01:57 PM

I've done considerable research into the subject, and under the current system it costs about 100 times as much to sentence someone to death and go through with it than it does to sentence them to life and house and feed them for the rest of their lives. And a death penalty that has no option for appeal is wrong for the following reason: Humans are fallable. Therefore all human decisions can be wrong. Therefore killing someone swiftly after a conviction (the only way death is cheaper than life in prison), there WILL be times when innocent people are killed by the state. It is my opinion that the state should NEVER wrongly kill someone, and so either we use the current system or one where there is no capitol punishment. Since the current system is more expensive than a system with no death penalty, and life in prison is moraly and effectively a better punishment, I believe that a system without the death penalty is the most cost effective AND works the best to punish criminals.

Salty 06-21-2005 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=MVWRX]I've done considerable research into the subject, and under the current system it costs about 100 times as much to sentence someone to death and go through with it than it does to sentence them to life and house and feed them for the rest of their lives. And a death penalty that has no option for appeal is wrong for the following reason: Humans are fallable. Therefore all human decisions can be wrong. Therefore killing someone swiftly after a conviction (the only way death is cheaper than life in prison), there WILL be times when innocent people are killed by the state. It is my opinion that the state should NEVER wrongly kill someone, and so either we use the current system or one where there is no capitol punishment. Since the current system is more expensive than a system with no death penalty, and life in prison is moraly and effectively a better punishment, I believe that a system without the death penalty is the most cost effective AND works the best to punish criminals.[/QUOTE]

Being fallible is ridiculous logic when you're going to hold them till they die anyways. If they’re so innocent then why subject them to the hands of other individuals on death row as punishment or potential death? Makes no sense. The actual execution isn't as expensive as death row. You see, the idea of death row is the problem that makes it more expensive. I'm not sure how expensive the poison used in the lethal injection or the electricity used in throwing the switch is. Add that cost to the amount of a regular funeral and it doesn't come close to the cost or sustaining the life of an individual in a maximum security facility. Unless I’m missing something, it's the own states fault for not using a $.25 bullet. That's another thread though. Maybe you can give us figures regarding fees and frivolous red-tape charges implemented by people like yourself in order to make it a non-worthwhile tactic?

I firmly believe you shouldn't be allowed to hold the entire system ransom on the idea that someone could be innocent after being convicted beyond a reasonable doubt. It doesn't make any sense, is a huge burden on funds (food, clothing, medicine, security, security jobs) and prison overpopulation, doesn't help conclude the grieving process for families, and makes our judicial system seem incompetent (it is).

This isn't what makes me the maddest though. What makes me furious is that this happens after someone is found with blood on their hands. Wtf is that? Marcus Wesson killed 9 children that were found in a pile directly after a police standoff and you think that's a question of fallibility? Wow. And this isn't the exception either. Most convicts on death row are their for a reason. Most of them were found with blood on their hands for heinous crimes which are accompanied with undeniable proof and witnesses. Again, a question of fallibility? Are you mad?

MVWRX 06-21-2005 03:36 PM

And I have thought of the families that are affected. They should realize that giving the perp death is, in fact, setting him free of his responsiblities and any pain that he should have to suffer. Furthermore, closure should come from the realization that a loved one can still be loved and valued in death (like how people reach closure from accidental deaths), not from the satisfaction of the dark urge to kill one who has killed.

The death penalty is barbaric, archaic, and counterproductive, not to mention expensive as all hell. This should not be a left vs right issue, this is a logic vs tradition issue.

The anger that you feel from what this man has done is not a good thing. So why use that anger to decide on his fate? Instead, realize what would cause him the most anguish and suffering for what he has done while at the same time reducing the cost of his punishment.

MVWRX 06-21-2005 03:55 PM

Aside from the falliblity argument, which I am very firm on because as I said the government should NOT be in a position to ever even come close to murdering an innocent person, the death penalty still doesn't make sense.

Money wise and punishment wise, it is best to abolish capitol punishment.
I believe that you are suggesting that we should have swift action against those who have been convicted of capitol crimes.

But what about these 119 people:
[url]http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?did=412&scid=6[/url]

My main argument is this and should appeal to all people regardless of their political or religious leanings: life in prison sucks worse than being put to sleep.

Salty 06-21-2005 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=MVWRX]The death penalty is barbaric, archaic, and counterproductive, not to mention expensive as all hell. This should not be a left vs right issue, this is a logic vs tradition issue.[/QUOTE]

It's not a left vs right issue.

I want you to find out where the money is going to make it more expensive.

It has to be coming from the maintaining of the prisoners in maximum security, death row facility. It cannot possibly be from the cost of execution and disposal of the body UNLESS people like yourself have implemented redtape fees to make it a non-worthwhile tactic, you see?

Besides that, the idea of the death penalty being barbaric and archaic is personal. How is it counterproductive though? If it has anything to do with the aforementioned paragraph then of course it is!