i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Teh Politics Forum (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/)
-   -   Stimulus program fraught with waste (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/stimulus-program-fraught-waste-205715/)

FW Motorsports 06-17-2009 12:41 PM

Stimulus program fraught with waste

Didn't see this coming....

[URL="http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-stimulus16-2009jun16,0,7085006.story"]Link[/URL]

[QUOTE]Reporting from Washington -- A report due to be released today by a Republican senator contends the Obama administration's stimulus program is fraught with waste and incompetence -- evidenced by a turtle crossing in northern Florida that will cost more than $3 million and a snafu in which thousands of Social Security checks went out to people who had died.

Modeled after a release from the White House describing 100 stimulus projects that were in the works, the report put out by Sen. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma looks at the same number of projects but reaches starkly different conclusions. The title is "A Second Opinion on the Stimulus."
[/QUOTE]

Tizzo27 06-17-2009 07:21 PM

No surprise there..
Carter admin II

Superglue WRX 06-17-2009 08:45 PM

[QUOTE=Tizzo27;2642833]No surprise there..
Carter admin II[/QUOTE]

Which we all know the world ended by his second year in office.

Magish 06-17-2009 10:20 PM

What government program isn't fraught with waste?

newyorkreload 06-17-2009 10:23 PM

And if the old guy from Az won, the donkey-punched leaders would be the ones *****ing about the same waste.

mrruins 06-17-2009 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=newyorkreload;2642948]And if the old guy from Az won, the donkey-punched leaders would be the ones *****ing about the same waste.[/QUOTE]

:sad: truth.

saqwarrior 06-22-2009 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=Tizzo27;2642833]No surprise there..
Carter admin II[/QUOTE]

Carter is the only living former president that I truly respect. While he was in office he wasn't so great, but he's devoted the rest of his life to helping others and that's pretty awesome in my opinion.

sigma pi 06-22-2009 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=saqwarrior;2646686]Carter is the only living former president that I truly respect. While he was in office he wasn't so great, but he's devoted the rest of his life to helping others and that's pretty awesome in my opinion.[/QUOTE]
and he fought in a war right?

saqwarrior 06-22-2009 04:11 PM

[QUOTE=sigma pi;2646700]and he fought in a war right?[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of, but he was in the Navy and had planned on making it his career.

wrxisthebest 06-22-2009 04:17 PM

i don't like Obama....

he really hasn't done any good

Superglue WRX 06-22-2009 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=wrxisthebest;2646959]i don't like Obama....

he really hasn't done any good[/QUOTE]

I haven't done any good either. Do you not like me as well? :welcome:

iLoqin 06-23-2009 11:58 AM

Obama needs to understand the Government cannot and will not correct what has happened in the economy. This venture has failed ALL the time in ALL countries. The reason why America was booming was because of Capitalism and small business and private sectors knowing where the economy is turning, and creating business in that area. The government doesn't know what the hell they're doing, just redistributing wealth.

What about health care? This is what happens if you nationalize health care.

Doctor that was making 500k a year, govt tells them they will be making 400k a yr instead, cuz they say you don't need to be making 500k a yr. Means what? Means less doctors because the time to become one and the outcome of being one isn't good, means longer line waits, means your appointment now for something routine is going to eventually take months if not years (like in other systems they take a year or two just to process everything).

Britain has failed with healthcare, and they are starting to go back to the economy and letting them control costs. United States is heading toward nationalizing like what exists in britain and obviously it has failed. WHY the hell does Obama think he can fix this all? The government either way you slice it will end up inflating and just ruining everything everyone has worked for. LET THE ECONOMY correct itself, government has no idea what is going on.

saqwarrior 06-23-2009 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=iLoqin;2647782]Obama needs to understand the Government cannot and will not correct what has happened in the economy. This venture has failed ALL the time in ALL countries. The reason why America was booming was because of Capitalism and small business and private sectors knowing where the economy is turning, and creating business in that area. The government doesn't know what the hell they're doing, just redistributing wealth.[/quote]

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."

[QUOTE=iLoqin;2647782]What about health care? This is what happens if you nationalize health care.

Doctor that was making 500k a year, govt tells them they will be making 400k a yr instead, cuz they say you don't need to be making 500k a yr. Means what? Means less doctors because the time to become one and the outcome of being one isn't good, means longer line waits, means your appointment now for something routine is going to eventually take months if not years (like in other systems they take a year or two just to process everything).

Britain has failed with healthcare, and they are starting to go back to the economy and letting them control costs. United States is heading toward nationalizing like what exists in britain and obviously it has failed. WHY the hell does Obama think he can fix this all? The government either way you slice it will end up inflating and just ruining everything everyone has worked for. LET THE ECONOMY correct itself, government has no idea what is going on.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure how I feel about this; every Briton I know (and I know a surprising amount of them) has little-to-no complaint about the NHS -- certainly no more complaint than we have about our privatized health care industry.

My most basic stance on the issue of health care is that everyone should get it, but I don't want government involved in it. Not because I think government is inefficient or incapable (they're certainly good enough at it to provide it for our troops, eh?), but because I quite simply don't want government involved in my private life in any way.

wrxisthebest 06-23-2009 03:09 PM

[quote=Superglue WRX;2646971]I haven't done any good either. Do you not like me as well? :welcome:[/quote]

you are not in a position to **** me over so no. you are ok! :thumb:

Magish 06-24-2009 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=iLoqin;2647782]
What about health care? This is what happens if you nationalize health care.

Britain has failed with healthcare, and they are starting to go back to the economy and letting them control costs. United States is heading toward nationalizing like what exists in britain and obviously it has failed. WHY the hell does Obama think he can fix this all? The government either way you slice it will end up inflating and just ruining everything everyone has worked for. LET THE ECONOMY correct itself, government has no idea what is going on.[/QUOTE]
[URL="http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande?currentPage=1"]
And you think that what we are doing now is better?[/URL]

I'm sick and tired of hearing people ***** and moan about universal health care, without ever presenting a viable alternative. The fact is that our health care system is currently a mess. Costs are out of control, and quality is below that of other post-industrial nations. How is that at all efficient?

Health care needs reform. Now.