i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Teh Politics Forum (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/)
-   -   So Congress scares Amazon off linking Wikileaks... (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/so-congress-scares-amazon-off-linking-wikileaks-225969/)

iLoqin 12-01-2010 08:45 PM

So Congress scares Amazon off linking Wikileaks...

So uhh what the hell is that crap? US government just bullying companies to do what they want again? Talk about corrupt, I don't really care about the issues of secrecy and crap that exploded on the net. It's about time someone MAKES our government transparent. Much better than all the blackmail and crap they do pull. Now that Amazon has obeyed orders, it just adds the question of the government, FOR THE PEOPLE, actually controlling crap that isn't related at all.

It's more apparent now, especially because Amazon is such a powerful international company, that the U.S. government is corrupt to the rest of the country.

Salty 12-02-2010 08:47 AM

How much pull do you think the government really had on Amazon when they can't even touch Assange (as of yet)? Think about it for a second.

I'm tired of the free speech bandwagon this has created. This isn't a case of good investigatory journalism but theft and espionage on Assange's part along with PFC Manning. After 9/11 the US Govt and POTUS decide it is better for agencies to have better access to each agencies intelligence to better protect the people and PFC Manning and that scum bag Assange exploit? That's free speech? Un****ingbelievable.

What you and every other American [i][b]should[/b][/i] be concerned about (aside from the groundless free speech debate) is why our intelligence could be easily compromised by a cherry PFC and why Assange isn't behind bars in an allied country.

Salty 12-02-2010 08:57 AM

[QUOTE=iLoqin;2982852]Talk about corrupt, I don't really care about the issues of secrecy and crap that exploded on the net. It's about time someone MAKES our government transparent.[/QUOTE]

This is all you had to say.

Your logic is backward. Transparency is what got us here in the first place and why a Private in the US Army could casually access such information pretending to listen to MP3s.

As said in my first post, we made it easier for agencies to have access to other agencies intelligence so we could be better prepared for a terrorist attack. Pre 9/11 some agencies had intelligence that an attack was imminent and stayed mum to other agencies. That's the true transparency! And you're okay with someone exploiting data based on a system trying to cut the red tape to better protect you?

Teagleye 12-02-2010 09:03 AM

**sigh**

sigma pi 12-02-2010 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=Salty;2983054]How much pull do you think the government really had on Amazon when they can't even touch Assange (as of yet)? Think about it for a second.

I'm tired of the free speech bandwagon this has created. This isn't a case of good investigatory journalism but theft and espionage on Assange's part along with PFC Manning. After 9/11 the US Govt and POTUS decide it is better for agencies to have better access to each agencies intelligence to better protect the people and PFC Manning and that scum bag Assange exploit? That's free speech? Un****ingbelievable.

What you and every other American [i][b]should[/b][/i] be concerned about (aside from the groundless free speech debate) is why our intelligence could be easily compromised by a cherry PFC and why Assange isn't behind bars in an allied country.[/QUOTE]
this

fizay 12-02-2010 08:12 PM

I don't believe that this compromises much, not to the extent people make it out to seem anyways. Certainly, it will reveal weak points in international relations and the enemy is bound to exploit that. But, it's not like there are posted weaknesses along the Canadian-American border, flights with lax luggage security, etc. It seems as though the US gov't. is truly in fear of revealing how far the rabbit hole goes, so to speak. Sure, if we look at the truly big picture, we understand how imperialistic America has been and continues to be (United Fruit, various oil companies, ) but nobody seems to want to acknowledge that in the present for fear of a sub 10,000 Dow Jones, much less confront it.

It's nothing new what this information is revealing, we've all known about it, but now regular Joes, the "rabble-rabbblers" who normally only express their political opinions at family gatherings after a few glasses of wine, get to see for themselves the world in which we live. And that is frightening to those in power. The NY Times article regarding Karzai's corruption, and our (the US's) knowledge is certainly condemning. If we, or our private subsidiaries (ahem, Blackwater) weren't in on the graft and getting a piece of the pie, there stands to be no reason as to get Karzai out of power. And even if it isn't proven, the implication is damning enough.

Re: Assange's non-arrest, It is bcs the various law enforcement bodies are doing it by the book; according to an article I've read today, the UK police know he's in southeast England, and will be arrested shortly. It may or may not be a ploy to clean the US/UN of any blood in an attempt to nullify any defense of Assange. Sort of a "we did everything accordingly, so you can't pin the blame on us, or say that we set you up."

Personally, I'm still up in the air as to what wikileaks can do for the world at large, there's only ~700/200000 documents released. It is my hope that there will be systemic changes, but if there wasn't a clear top dog who policed everyone, there would undoubtedly be war. And lots of it.

iLoqin 12-02-2010 09:12 PM

An attack on our people is like yelling fire or rape out in public or bomb on a plane. Everyone should know, that's when all lines of communication should be open.

I don't think the leaks were of any big importance. I think it's a idea that was created on purpose by our government to smash one side of the government, the conservative side. That's how corrupt, again I know our government is. There are too many signs, dumb asses, holes, whatever you want to call them in the government.

Wikileaks to me is Wikigate. I can't wait til they release the documents of the Banks, so the government can backlash/backlist whatever and take control of their headquarters too when they are plan to release early January.

Anything that allows our government to expand and control us is completely planned. We eat the cake of some dumb fodder such as "how did pfc so and so get information?" because clearly having a PFC access top secret national talks really has to do with an attack on our soil and communications with important entities to protect us.

Salty 12-03-2010 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=iLoqin;2983646]An attack on our people is like yelling fire or rape out in public or bomb on a plane. Everyone should know, that's when all lines of communication should be open.

I don't think the leaks were of any big importance. I think it's a idea that was created on purpose by our government to smash one side of the government, the conservative side. That's how corrupt, again I know our government is. There are too many signs, dumb asses, holes, whatever you want to call them in the government.

Wikileaks to me is Wikigate. I can't wait til they release the documents of the Banks, so the government can backlash/backlist whatever and take control of their headquarters too when they are plan to release early January.

Anything that allows our government to expand and control us is completely planned. We eat the cake of some dumb fodder such as "how did pfc so and so get information?" because clearly having a PFC access top secret national talks really has to do with an attack on our soil and communications with important entities to protect us.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was designed to smash the conservative side. If anything, the documents reveal that most countries (both allied & non allied) believe the USA to be benevolent and that all middle eastern countries (with the exception of Syria), and despite our Islamic fears and claims to the contrary, are disjointed and ultimately against Ahmadinejad and Iran.

I think a lot of people get too caught-up in motives and how secure out Government really is. Having a Private that swore to protect us (even you, sir) and sneak documents is no more acceptable than an employee sneaking merchandise out the back. Are stolen goods cake, too? I think we've met before... in an unlit parking lot and you were trying to push stereo equipment.

I think it's a simple case of a PFC mad at his government because he doesn't agree with the war, is rumored to be homosexual in the military, and got picked-on too much. I bet the kid didn't even get paid by Assange as he was out to stick it to "the man" As for Assange, I think he just wants publicity as that's exactly what he's been getting.

While I hope we can throw the book at Assange as hard as possible, I am much more concerned with how this happened. I am also embarrassed as to the amount of naivete the document writers possess. I think most world leaders knew all or most about what the documents reveal and are embarrassed as well.