Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

So bush is allready handing out contracts to his buddies..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 05:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
So bush is allready handing out contracts to his buddies..

Companies with ties to the White House and the former head of FEMA have clinched some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President George W Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast.

One is Shaw Group and the other is Halliburton-subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root (KBR). Vice President Dick Cheney is a former head of Halliburton.

Bechtel National, a unit of San Francisco-based Bechtel Corp, has also been selected by FEMA to provide short-term housing for people displaced by the hurricane.

Mr Bush named Bechtel's chief executive to his Export Council and put the former chief executive of Bechtel Energy in charge of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...9/s1457680.htm
Old 09-10-2005, 06:46 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
And?

While I get your point of the obvious cronie-ism, but what other companies can handle projects this large?

Also, submitting some of the projects to "lowest bid wins" may not be the fastest way of getting relief to those that need it now.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I agree.

What's the difference if it gets the job done?

People thought Bush kicked of OIF for Halliburton and numerous other war-time contracts. Whatever. Do Bush and Cheney have a Hurricane machine up their sleeve as well? You guys will never be satisfied, will you?

Last edited by Salty; 09-10-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:41 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Oaf
And?

While I get your point of the obvious cronie-ism, but what other companies can handle projects this large?

Also, submitting some of the projects to "lowest bid wins" may not be the fastest way of getting relief to those that need it now.

evidently you guys arent for free markets? cause this is anything but the case.. i have never once in my life seen a bidding proccess such as the one that was undertaken here.

There is a reason why the goverment mandates such proccess for large contracts.

I mean after all they are responsible for controlling OUR TAX MONEY

and we all know how well that has gone in iraq and the stan...
Old 09-10-2005, 09:43 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Salty
I agree.

People thought Bush kicked of OIF for Halliburton and numerous other war-time contracts. Whatever. Do Bush and Cheney have a Hurricane machine up their sleeve as well? You guys will never be satisfied, will you?

this has **** to do with being satisified and every thing to do with rampant cronisim and corruption.

Hand out a ****ing contract, so long as the best man wins it i have no problem witht hat. But handing it out because so and so knows someone is ****ING CORRUPTION

The same sort of corruption that strikens the Ukraine as we speak.

Corruption has no ****ing place during a disaster.. NO ****ING PLACE
Old 09-10-2005, 10:09 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by Oaf
And?

Well, KB&R has proven repeatedly that they are unable to handle large jobs. They CERTAINLY shouldn't be getting more government contracts.

But hey, incompetence certainly didn't sway Bush's decision when appointing the leadership at FEMA, so.....

<snip>A third or more of the government property Halliburton Co. was paid to manage for the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq could not be located by auditors, investigative reports to Congress show.

Halliburton's KBR subsidiary ''did not effectively manage government property'' and auditors could not locate hundreds of CPA items worth millions of dollars in Iraq and Kuwait this summer and fall, Inspector General Stuart W. Bowen reported to Congress in two reports. <snip>

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=11820
Old 09-10-2005, 10:39 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
I agree.

For once (maybe this makes twice?) Salty and I agree one one aspect- but that qualifier is what kills this gig, these guys DON'T get the job done.

Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
There is a reason why the goverment mandates such proccess for large contracts.

I mean after all they are responsible for controlling OUR TAX MONEY
Uh dre- our gubment USED to require bidding processes, but the new and more efficient bush-cheney inc. doesn't need to call anyone because they know KBR will always be glad to take whatever contract they get handed, regardless of whether or not its even something they used to do.

Whether it's feeding and housing the troops, putting out oil rig fires, building bridges, hospitals and power plants, or rebuiling flood ravaged ghettos into new luxury high-rises

well its just that no other companies can do that stuff, you know ?

well except Bechtel

Nope no cronyism here at all......this is the free market at its finest!

Mr Bush named Bechtel's chief executive to his Export Council and put the former chief executive of Bechtel Energy in charge of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation

Last edited by psoper; 09-10-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:44 PM

The same sort of corruption that strikens the Ukraine as we speak.

and at least Yushenko has the integrity to up and fire his government, whereas W. thinks this is all just good business.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by psoper
For once (maybe this makes twice?)
Yes, this is the second offical time.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
You know what, the job nees to get, done, so everyone needs to STFU, and roll up their sleeves.

BUT

Bush pulled an excutive order yesterday/today and abolished a law that garunteed living wages for people who are hired to do constuction contracts. A Law that was made during the depression to help people who where very needy, and were exploited by businessmen to work for low wages, because the demand from the unemployed was so high, that these crooked SOBs where taking advatage of people. That's not market value, that's BS. And Bush pull EO for this is BS. It's giving the contracts to his friends, and then letting them pay low wages to get the work done, because are hungry for jobs/income (these people probably don't have homes or much of anything right now) and the profit margin becomes THAT MUCH MORE for Bush's buddies.

Serisouly, it's ****ed up, and It sickens me.

-Gagan
Old 09-11-2005, 10:28 AM

Car Info: Sline
Hand out a ****ing contract, so long as the best man wins it i have no problem witht hat. But handing it out because so and so knows someone is ****ING CORRUPTION
This isn't corruption, this is the REAL world my friend. You obviously don't know much about business practice. Let me illusrate.

I'm company A and I'm looking for a plumber to fix the plumbing in my building. I have two plumbers that can do it for me. Plumber A and Plumber B. Plumber B has been a long time friend of mine. He and I were buddies in College. Plumber A is a cheaper plumber, he can get the job done for less. Am I going to Am I going to give the work to Plumb. A or B? You're damn right B. Because I know he will try hard to do his best. I know where he lives. I'm giving him business, and if I have a problem I can get him back quicker than I could with some other Plumber.

Does that make any kind of sence?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:55 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jvick125
This isn't corruption, this is the REAL world my friend. You obviously don't know much about business practice. Let me illusrate.

I'm company A and I'm looking for a plumber to fix the plumbing in my building. I have two plumbers that can do it for me. Plumber A and Plumber B. Plumber B has been a long time friend of mine. He and I were buddies in College. Plumber A is a cheaper plumber, he can get the job done for less. Am I going to Am I going to give the work to Plumb. A or B? You're damn right B. Because I know he will try hard to do his best. I know where he lives. I'm giving him business, and if I have a problem I can get him back quicker than I could with some other Plumber.

Does that make any kind of sence?

i know what you are saying, but the goverment has a much higher burden to uphold then a small buisness or a guy looking for a plumber. After, all they arent playing with their own money, they are playing with OUR MONEY.

But hey if you arent one for goverment accountability then by all means continue with your logic..
Old 09-11-2005, 11:01 AM

For an individual to make such a call, yes it makes sense, assuming the individual can afford what plumber B is charging and has proven that he will do the job.

On the other hand, just because you know him from college, what if he's ripped you off on several occasions, taken money to do jobs then left them unfinished, or rampantly overcharged you on a previous job, would you go back to plumber B- if so I would say you are an idiot.

That is exactly what KBR and Halliburton have done, and yet this administration continues to hand them billions upon billions of dollars of our tax monies.

This is a government that is supposed to be of the people by the people and all that, but I guess you are OK if that applies only if you previously went to college with W or Dick.

In this case it is most denfinetly cronyism, corruption and outright criminal larceney, you are entitled to your opinion, but there is no arguing with facts.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Uh dre- our gubment USED to require bidding processes, but the new and more efficient bush-cheney inc. doesn't need to call anyone because they know KBR will always be glad to take whatever contract they get handed, regardless of whether or not its even something they used to do.
Ummmm, no.

Uh dre- our gubment USED to utilize the bidding processes when they had the time and inclination....basically as an appeasement for the consituents, but the new and more efficient bush-cheney inc. doesn't need to call anyone because they know KBR will always be glad to take whatever contract they get handed, regardless of whether or not its even something they used to do.
- fixed.

There's absolutely no law nor rule nor spoken promise that the executive branch must offer contracts to bids. It's kind of similar to the power the executive branch has where they can 'appoint' cabinet members and agency heads (ala Tom Ridge) without obtaining anyone's consent.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:52 PM

Car Info: Sline
i know what you are saying, but the goverment has a much higher burden to uphold then a small buisness or a guy looking for a plumber. After, all they arent playing with their own money, they are playing with OUR MONEY.

But hey if you arent one for goverment accountability then by all means continue with your logic..
No, I agree with you in that they should higher someone that will get in and get the job done... effectively and with good quality. I just wanted to play some devil's advocate

Quick Reply: So bush is allready handing out contracts to his buddies..