i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Teh Politics Forum (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/)
-   -   Should the Poor Vote? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/should-poor-vote-164231/)

FW Motorsports 06-01-2007 08:41 AM

Should the Poor Vote?

Should a person that, for whatever reasons, receives public assistance (and does not work) be allowed to vote?

Salty 06-01-2007 09:53 AM

I tried this before and it did not bode well.

jvick125 06-01-2007 10:02 AM

Yeah, I think this is going to be a touchy topic. It's a citizen's right to vote. Only allowing working people to vote would be reversing what we have already done. By what you have said, this would also include retired people who receive SS. I don't think that's right.

Salty 06-01-2007 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=jvick125;1878037] By what you have said, this would also include retired people who receive SS. I don't think that's right.[/QUOTE]

I think we ALL know who and what he's talking about here.

spedmunki 06-01-2007 12:07 PM

Anyone who is a legal citizen and over the age of 18.....I dont think affluence should effect voting status

spedmunki 06-01-2007 12:09 PM

[QUOTE=Paul@dbtuned;1877939]Should a person that, for whatever reasons, receives public assistance (and does not work) be allowed to vote?[/QUOTE]

Do you want to go tell vets who suffer from PTSD and don't work that they can't vote, despite their sacrifices for this country?

Salty 06-01-2007 01:26 PM

I think there's a very clear difference between those that worked hard and retired or those are now legitimately disabled to the point they cannot work versus baby factories that drink 40s on their porch. Let's get that **** straight right now.

JohnQGearhead 06-01-2007 01:53 PM

Every legal (adult) US citizen should be allowed to vote. Plain and simple.

Another interesting topic; some people who are not US citizens can and do receive government assistance.
At my job I decide who gets to receive Section 42 housing assistance. It is not a requirement that they be a legal US citizen to qualify. It is actually a fair housing violation for me to ask that they prove US citizenship. There is nothing I can do about it.

Yet another interesting topic; NEW citizens (who have never worked a day in this country) can and do receive Social Security or Supplemental Security.

(I have become a little jaded, to say the least)

jvick125 06-01-2007 01:53 PM

The way Paul wrote it, it encompasses disabled vets, the elderly, "baby factories", homeless, etc.

MVWRX 06-01-2007 08:25 PM

There are poor people who work hard, and there are rich people who don't do a damn thing. If you had asked if I think people who never work (both wellfare users AND trustfund babies) should be disallowed to vote, I would probably say yes. In fact, I think the people who are millionaires from birth are a worse problem than wellfare users in terms of informed voting...and I'll bet a higher percentage of them currently DO vote also.

Chrisnonstop 06-02-2007 11:25 AM

Starship troopers baby...you're not a citizen unless you serve! Just kidding.

I think that if you are a productive member of society and you pay taxes, you should have the right to vote. And no matter what, if you're a Vet either working or not, pissed off or happy, healthy or disabled, you should have the right to vote.

All the other bottom feeders can go take a swim or cross a boarder somewhere.

FW Motorsports 06-02-2007 12:13 PM

[b][size=+2]Mom, 20, giving birth to third set of twins [/size][/b]

[quote=article]blahblahblahblahblah..positive spin..wonderful person...

[b]The father of the latest set of twins hopes he's ready.[/b]
"Just focus, trying to have my mind right. Try to have my mind right, you know," said Joshua Brown.

But with neither the 21-year-old father nor the 20-year-old mother employed - all the children are supported by welfare - the young family faces financial and emotional obstacles.

[/quote]

Keisatsu 06-02-2007 12:53 PM

[QUOTE=Paul@dbtuned;1879029][b][size=+2]Mom, 20, giving birth to third set of twins [/size][/b][/QUOTE]

:jaw:

Do you have a link to that story?

Unregistered 06-02-2007 01:47 PM

[QUOTE=Paul@dbtuned;1879029][b][size=+2]Mom, 20, giving birth to third set of twins [/size][/b][/QUOTE]

Your point? Worst question I have ever read on here.

Should idiots vote?

FW Motorsports 06-02-2007 02:02 PM

As long as they ain't on the dole.