Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Prop 8 Supporters, Goin Dumb Like East Oakland After a Raiders Game...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Prop 8 Supporters, Goin Dumb Like East Oakland After a Raiders Game...

I figured I would start a thread dedicated to all of the No on 8 business going on. Feel free to post up articles for both sides that show how crazy this is getting.

This one isn't even California...

Church Harassed
http://www.nbc25online.com/news/news...aspx?id=220613
Some churches are fighting back after a self-proclaimed gay anarchist group stormed into a Mid-Michigan Church. It happened at Mount Hope Church in Lansing. The Eaton County Sheriff’s office was called in and is investigating.

Reports say that protesters were outside the church beating on buckets and using megaphones to shout “Jesus is a homo” as church-goers went in for morning services. According to those reports, half of the protesting group was dressed to blend in with the church-goers and entered the church.

Once inside they reportedly pulled fire alarms, handed out pamphlets and yelled at parishioners. They also were said to have stormed the pulpit and held up a large rainbow colored flag that read “It’s Okay To Be Gay! Bash Back”.

Catholic League President, Bill Donohue, fired back on Tuesday saying "This is astounding. This is a **** like tactic to go into a church on a Sunday and disrupt service. I don't care whether it's pro-gay, anti-gay; it has no legitimate role to play in a democracy, which is exactly why we've asked Mike ***, Michigan’s Attorney General to investigate."

NBC25 was unable to get in contact with the group Bash Back, but will continue to try. On their website it says:

“The Mount Hope Church is a deplorable, anti-queer mega-church in Lansing, Michigan. The church works to institutionalize transphobia and homophobia through several repulsive projects including organized “ex-gay” conferences and so-called “hell houses”, which depict queers, trannies and womyn who seek abortions as the horrors. Mt. Hope is complicit in the repression of queers in Michigan and beyond.”

NBC25 contacted Mount Hope Church for a response, but they could not comment due to the ongoing police investigation. It did issue the following response:

"The leadership of Mount Hope Church does not attempt to identify the church as antihomosexual, anti-choice, or right wing. The church does take the Bible at face value and believes what the Bible says to be the truth. According to the Bible, Mount Hope Church believes homosexuality to be a sin, just as fornication, stealing, drunkenness, and lying are sins. No sin greater than the next."
Theater official quits over anti-gay donation
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — The artistic director at California's largest nonprofit musical theater company resigned Wednesday amid protests over his donation to a campaign to ban gay marriage in the state.

Scott Eckern stepped down from his job at the California Musical Theater in Sacramento after some gay activists called for a theater boycott.

He said he is leaving "after prayerful consideration to protect the organization and to help the healing in the local theatergoing and creative community."

Eckern said he "chose to act upon my belief that the traditional definition of marriage should be preserved" but had no idea his contribution would generate such controversy. He said his sister is a lesbian in a domestic partnership, which he understands to carry the same legal rights as marriage.

The boycott calls — led by artists including "Hairspray" composer Marc Shaiman — began after activists learned Eckern contributed $1,000 to the Yes on 8 campaign. Last week, voters approved Proposition 8, which changes the constitution to ban same-sex marriage.

Lisa West, regional spokeswoman for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said Eckern is a member "in very good standing" and the Mormon church supports his decision to resign.

Fred Karger, the founder of Californians Against Hate, which was created to publicize donors to the Yes on Proposition 8 campaign, said he was not involved in the theater boycott effort and was saddened that Eckern resigned.

"That's not good news, but there's going to be a lot of fallout from this (gay marriage ban)," Karger said. "Of course, a lot of lives were ruined on the other side."

He said his Web site has received thousands of visits from those tracking Yes on 8 contributors.

Ron Prentice, chairman of the Yes on 8 campaign, issued a statement criticizing gay marriage supporters who "cherish tolerance and civil rights (but) are unabashedly trampling on the rights of others."

The theater company, Sacramento's oldest arts organization, said it is not involved in political issues but doesn't interfere with employees' rights to express their views. The company issued a statement thanking Eckern for his 25 years of service.

Eckern was the company's chief operating officer and its artistic director since 2002. The company produces Sacramento's annual Music Circus and plays at Broadway Sacramento and the newly opened Cosmopolitan Cabaret.
And there was one about the elder lady in California that was protesting the protesters in favor of gay marriage getting her cross taken and thrown down, then destroyed. But I can't find it on Google News now. It was there a few hours ago...who knows. Maybe Obama had it censores?

-Steven
Old 11-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
What does this have to do with Obama again?!?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:35 PM
Old School

1) I don't agree with them going into a church and disrupting service. That's just not going to get them anywhere.

2) Why is the dude stepping down a big deal? He CHOSE to support prop 8, to be singled out is simply a consequence of his decision. Besides, he CHOSE to step down, he didn't HAVE to. If he didn't want this to affect the theater, he should've thought about that before. He made his decisions, these are simply the consequences. Should he not be held responsible for his decisions?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:51 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
This is what happens when the law says that you can't do something that other people can do.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:36 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
I guess someone is owed an apollogy for using the "Q-U-E-E-R" word:
“The Mount Hope Church is a deplorable, anti-queer mega-church in Lansing, Michigan. The church works to institutionalize transphobia and homophobia through several repulsive projects including organized “ex-gay” conferences and so-called “hell houses”, which depict queers, trannies and womyn who seek abortions as the horrors. Mt. Hope is complicit in the repression of queers in Michigan and beyond.”

Remeber, that was a homosexual group referring to homosexuals as queers.

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
1) I don't agree with them going into a church and disrupting service. That's just not going to get them anywhere.

2) Why is the dude stepping down a big deal? He CHOSE to support prop 8, to be singled out is simply a consequence of his decision. Besides, he CHOSE to step down, he didn't HAVE to. If he didn't want this to affect the theater, he should've thought about that before. He made his decisions, these are simply the consequences. Should he not be held responsible for his decisions?
He used his own money, not the theater's, to provide support for a cause he believes in.
Now, the homosexual mafia is using Fiscal Terrorism to ruin this man.

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
This is what happens when the law says that you can't do something that other people can do.
The Law is full of inequalities, yet people do not resort to violence to gain support.
Plus, there's no right to "marriage".
Old 11-15-2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
The Law is full of inequalities, yet people do not resort to violence to gain support.
Plus, there's no right to "marriage".
California did recognize gay marriage as a fundamental right under the constitution. I would say that this was a right.

As for whether these violent acts are right or wrong, of coarse they are wrong. This is never an accepted form of behavior. I think it does hurt their cause. But I still think that they have a justifiable cause. They are just going about this inappropriately.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:19 AM
VIP Member

What does this have to do with Obama again?!?
light joke related to Obama choosing which press he allowed on his campaign plane (Fox News and another Network weren't allowed to fly with him, but every Liberal News Organization was ) *In the last few days of campaigning*
Old 11-16-2008, 09:21 AM
VIP Member

So, out of fear that his job would be compromised... he should have given in and voted against his beliefs?

Sounds like terror to me.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:25 AM
VIP Member

California did recognize gay marriage as a fundamental right under the constitution. I would say that this was a right.

As for whether these violent acts are right or wrong, of coarse they are wrong. This is never an accepted form of behavior. I think it does hurt their cause. But I still think that they have a justifiable cause. They are just going about this inappropriately.
So because the Constitution recognized it as right for a brief period of time (against the people's will) it is a right?

But it isn't not a right when the Constitution did/does not recognize it as a right and had the people's support?

If we base rights on the Constitution, the People's Vote, and the Courts... historically that way of thinking contra indicates the "fact" that they have a right to marry.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by medicSTi
So because the Constitution recognized it as right for a brief period of time (against the people's will) it is a right?

But it isn't not a right when the Constitution did/does not recognize it as a right and had the people's support?

If we base rights on the Constitution, the People's Vote, and the Courts... historically that way of thinking contra indicates the "fact" that they have a right to marry.
Amendments in the constitution prevent rights from being voted away. Until those amendments are ratified or removed, that's the way it is.

I like how people in these gay marriage threads ignore seeing gay marriage as right, but if Californians voted to ban guns some of you guys would litterally **** your pants. Constitutional rights are rights whether you want to recognize them as such or not.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
He used his own money, not the theater's, to provide support for a cause he believes in.
Now, the homosexual mafia is using Fiscal Terrorism to ruin this man.
oh that poor poor man is facing the consequences of his intolerant actions.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:11 AM
VIP Member

Amendments in the constitution prevent rights from being voted away. Until those amendments are ratified or removed, that's the way it is.

I like how people in these gay marriage threads ignore seeing gay marriage as right, but if Californians voted to ban guns some of you guys would litterally **** your pants. Constitutional rights are rights whether you want to recognize them as such or not.
It is not a right. They have the right to the same rights. They do not have the right to be called what they are not! EJ said it best
Old 11-17-2008, 09:12 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
oh that poor poor man is facing the consequences of his intolerant actions.
right... supporting what you believe in isn't okay... but becoming a radical with an agenda to financially ruin someones life and career is a-okay?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by medicSTi
So, out of fear that his job would be compromised... he should have given in and voted against his beliefs?

Sounds like terror to me.
He vote for however he wants, that's his right.

But to say him stepping down is terrorism at work is ****ing ridiculous.

Every action has a consequence, one must be ready to take on those consequences.

When I worked for Subydude, I didn't like a certain website and website owner... I got vocal about it, and I was called in about it. I understood that my personal actions could ruin the company I worked for, and I stopped, cause my personal beliefs and actions aren't as important, in that case, than Joe's business.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 07 WRX stage 2/ 05 Yamaha R6
for the church being harassed..that is so disrespectful..making me more happy I voted YES on 8..they are acting like a bunch of kids trying to get their own way. This is aint Burger King, u can't always have it your way.

Last edited by TSNWrX07; 11-17-2008 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Prop 8 Supporters, Goin Dumb Like East Oakland After a Raiders Game...