i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Teh Politics Forum (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/)
-   -   Netherlands Hospital Euthanizes Babies (https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/netherlands-hospital-euthanizes-babies-81257/)

Salty 11-30-2004 04:01 PM

Netherlands Hospital Euthanizes Babies

So let me get this straight... they're killing-off innocent, helpless and terminally ill newborns and there's a problem with this?

[url]http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041130/D86MEAA80.html[/url]

There were 29,000 registered abortions in the Netherlands during 2003. Anyone want to make a bet that at least half of them had something the euthanized babies didn't?! Maybe their good health?! Anyone?

Discuss.

dub2w 11-30-2004 04:11 PM

I actually dont find much wrong with this program. These babies are terminally ill... without life support they wouldnt make it. I think keeping them alive, unless it is the parent's desire, is more unethical than euthanization

MVWRX 11-30-2004 04:13 PM

From what I can get from this, it's less euthanasia and more a lack of life support.

The article mostly discusses the idea of euthanasia for people who cannot make the choice themselves. But what about people who can make the choice? Basically...why is suicide illegal here? If someone is terminally ill...and in their right mind...and they say, please I want to die...why is that so bad? Just curious about that...

With the babies, though, I would be scared that the line between healthy and ill would become blured until doctors were selectively choosing which babies should live and die...that'd be real bad. If there's a way to make sure they're only euthanizing terminally ill babies (like they're gonna die within the 1st year or something), then I don't see a huge problem with it (with the parents permission, of course).

Salty 11-30-2004 04:18 PM

[QUOTE=MVWRX]From what I can get from this, it's less euthanasia and more a lack of life support.[/QUOTE]

Then you didn't read or grasp the context of the article.

MVWRX 11-30-2004 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=Salty]Then you didn't read or grasp the context of the article.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Capt. Asshat, I needed a little insult to get my day back on track. Hahahahaha.

(Scary sidenote...666posts...I'mma watch my back on the way home...)

Salty 11-30-2004 04:23 PM

[QUOTE=MVWRX]Thanks Capt. Asshat, I needed a little insult to get my day back on track. Hahahahaha.[/QUOTE]

Anytime!

Kevin M 11-30-2004 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=MVWRX](Scary sidenote...666posts...I'mma watch my back on the way home...)[/QUOTE]

Or maybe just post another. :p

Kevin M 11-30-2004 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=MVWRX]The article mostly discusses the idea of euthanasia for people who cannot make the choice themselves. But what about people who can make the choice? Basically...why is suicide illegal here? If someone is terminally ill...and in their right mind...and they say, please I want to die...why is that so bad? Just curious about that...[/QUOTE]

Religion, that's why. It's a mortal sin to Christians to commit suicide, so they don't think you should be able to do it.

dub2w 11-30-2004 06:04 PM

But its not really suicide. I know that the term "euthanasia" means assisted suicide, but they need to come up with a new term for this.

Silver arrow 11-30-2004 08:40 PM

I euthanized sick puppies once. I'm probably going to burn in h-e-l-l.

FW Motorsports 11-30-2004 09:24 PM

I'd be lying if I told you that the thought never crossed my mind of OD'ing my mom on morphine when see was dying of cancer.
Thought about
I had the motive, the opportunity, & the morphine to do it.
It seemed perfectly rational; she was gonna die anyway & in a lot of pain.
But I decided not to.
Not because of religion.
Not because it was a crime.

I don't know why I didn't do it, I'm just glad that I didn't.