Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

This isn't necessarily politics, but I'm curious about your opinions

Old 03-01-2005, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
This isn't necessarily politics, but I'm curious about your opinions

How do you expect soldiers to behave while stateside?

Do you hold them to a higher standard?

Are soldiers like policemen in that there is some special quality that they should possess which would have you expect certain behavior out of them?

If you do hold them to a higher standard, is there ever a time when they would be allowed to let their hair down()?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
So who's in line for the article 15?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:21 PM

Much Higher standards: I require that they drink more than everyone else in the bar.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 PM
VIP Member

Yeah, you know I thought about adding in something about 'looking for responses from comedians, only' but decided against it.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by gpatmac
Yeah, you know I thought about adding in something about 'looking for responses from comedians, only' but decided against it.
I thought about answering seriously, but decided against it.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:55 AM
VIP Member

Ha ha ha.

You're too perceptive.

The answer is no one, but I did have to go bail a senior NCO out of jail last weekend.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:32 AM
VIP Member

Yes I would. It maintains uniformity in the militaries image.

There are a few exceptions though. I wouldn't hold them to the same *****-boy rules people commonly associate with civilian lifestyle in garrison (I know this is OT). If someone falls out of a run and gets hazed until puke pours from their tear ducts then I’m cool with it... as long as they don't die. Basically things the "kinder and gentler" military is eliminating which will eventually hurt comradery and the amount of hardened soldiers.

I think they could let their hair down if they aren't in the presence of minors, older veterans and such. If someone picks a fight with a Marine down in an Oceanside, Ca bar because of his high n' tight haircut then I think a pool cue to the throat is in order. Basically let your hair down around boobies and alcohol but not to the point where your whole team is behind bars down at myrtle beach *sigh* I guess it would also depend on which DRF you were on too, Pat. That is if your division/unit is on a DRF system.

This is exactly why the Army needs to invent some type of anger relief program. Designate a bunch of hot, contracted women as 69H's and occasionally let the men get their pick. Preferably after a deployment, long field problems or school.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:10 PM

Car Info: 02 BRP 2.5RS-T
There is a time and a place for everything. I hold them to higher standard, just as a I still hold vets to a higher standard
Old 03-02-2005, 08:25 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Salty
This is exactly why the Army needs to invent some type of anger relief program. Designate a bunch of hot, contracted women as 69H's and occasionally let the men get their pick. Preferably after a deployment, long field problems or school.
You know that I know exactly what you're talking about. We called them 69W's.

Bottom line, there was a situation that could have been totally diffused had my guys put a little thought into it and walked away. Not to mention that my soldiers are unlike any other in that when the Army is under any sort of public scrutiny, my guys suffer. How can you put people in the Army when everyone looks at you a little bit more stringent than normal?

I hold soldiers to a higher standard.

Soldiers need to constantly be reminded what they are and what their role is.

I guess the gist of my question was to the effect of, when you read or hear about a soldier, be it a combat soldier, an administrative soldier, an officer or a private, or even a local recruiter, messing up in some way; do you find yourself more disgusted due to the fact that they are military servicemembers...or no?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:26 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gpatmac
I guess the gist of my question was to the effect of, when you read or hear about a soldier, be it a combat soldier, an administrative soldier, an officer or a private, or even a local recruiter, messing up in some way; do you find yourself more disgusted due to the fact that they are military servicemembers...or no?
Absolutely. I'm not sure if this is a bias based on the fact I am a Veteran but I'm 99.9% sure I’d have the same opinion as a non-Veteran.