Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Hire an illegal? GO TO JAIL! Finally, somebody is enforcing our laws!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 04:05 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Hire an illegal? GO TO JAIL! Finally, somebody is enforcing our laws!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12393925/

Finally, a wake-up call to corrup politicians and businesses that are treating illegals like slaves and manipulating the costs of labor!

Hundreds nabbed in immigration raid
Executives, workers arrested in nationwide move against pallet maker

The Associated Press
Updated: 6:31 p.m. ET April 19, 2006

WASHINGTON - Immigration agents arrested seven executives and hundreds of employees of a manufacturer of crates and pallets Wednesday as part of a crackdown on employers of illegal workers.

Authorities raided offices and plants of IFCO Systems in at least eight states, the culmination of a yearlong criminal investigation, law enforcement officials said.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents arrested seven current and former IFCO Systems managers on charges they conspired to transport, harbor and encourage illegal workers to reside in the United States for commercial advantage and private financial gain, said Glenn T. Suddaby, the chief federal prosecutor in Albany, N.Y., where some arrests were made.

ICE spokeswoman Jamie Zuieback confirmed an unspecified number of raids and arrests but declined to provide additional details because the investigation was continuing. One official, speaking on condition of anonymity because numbers were still being tallied, said the arrests were in the hundreds.

Raids across the U.S.
Raids took place at several locations in upstate New York and in Biglerville, Pa.; Charlotte, N.C.; Cincinnati, Houston, Phoenix, Richmond, Va., and Westborough, Mass.

"ICE has no tolerance for corporate officers who harbor illegal aliens for their work force. Today's nationwide enforcement actions show how we will use all our investigative tools to bring these individuals to justice, no matter how large or small their company," said ICE chief Julie Myers.

She and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff are expected on Thursday to lay out an immigration enforcement strategy that targets employers' disregard for immigration law.

Last week, operators of three restaurants in Baltimore pleaded guilty to similar immigration charges, while nine people affiliated with two temporary employment agencies that do business in New Jersey, Ohio and Pennsylvania were charged in a $5.3 million scheme involving the employment and harboring of illegal aliens.

Several immigration proposals pending in Congress would stiffen penalties against employers who hire illegal immigrants.

Company based in Germany
German-based IFCO Systems describes itself as the leading pallet services company in the United States, focusing on recycling millions of the wooden platforms used to stack and move all manner of goods. It operates about five dozen facilities nationwide and has been expanding steadily, according to the company's Web site.

IFCO Systems did not immediately return calls seeking comment Wednesday.

The current and former IFCO Systems managers arrested were identified by Suddaby as: Michael Ames, 44, Shrewsbury, Mass.; Robert Belvin, 43, Clifton Park, N.Y.; Abelino Chicas, 40, Houston; Scott Dodge, 43, Albany; William Hoskins, 29, Cincinnati; James Rice, 36, Houston, and Dario Salzano, 36, Amsterdam, N.Y.

Last year, Wal-Mart stores agreed to pay $11 million to settle allegations concerning the employment and mistreatment of illegal immigrants.

Wal-Mart has maintained that top executives did not know that cleaning contractors were hiring illegal immigrants, who sometimes slept in the backs of stores. An ICE affidavit unsealed as part of that case, however, asserted that two executives were aware of the practice.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

© 2006 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12393925/

Last edited by HellaDumb; 04-19-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:40 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
I see the problem with shipping them in illegally just to do work, but I still do not see a problem with just hiring them to do work once they are here. I hired day laborers to work on clearing dead wood out of a forest once and they worked harder than any other group of people I've ever seen. It took about half the time and half the money to clear the dead wood than had I hired a company to do it. Worked out nicely for everyone
-Jeff
(waits for hellas response )
Old 04-20-2006, 09:35 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by Imprezastifan88
I see the problem with shipping them in illegally just to do work, but I still do not see a problem with just hiring them to do work once they are here. I hired day laborers to work on clearing dead wood out of a forest once and they worked harder than any other group of people I've ever seen. It took about half the time and half the money to clear the dead wood than had I hired a company to do it. Worked out nicely for everyone
-Jeff
Yeah, I've considered using day labor when I was a contractor but thought I'd be the one caught in some illegal laborer sting on "7 on your side" or something .
I asked some other contractors on the job what they'd do if one of the laborers fell off a ladder or got badly injured, and they said, "That's what the debris-box is for!"

I would like some clarification on the current law because I've recently considered hiring day labor to do some work around the house...... maybe I could get them to do the work and have them deported at the end of the work-day? JK!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Originally Posted by Imprezastifan88
-Jeff
That's a generalization at best, there are hard workers in every group. Yesterday my neighbor had a group of five (illegals mmost likely) pouring his driveway. No foreman on site, what should've taken 4-5 hours took three days. On was working, 4 were supervising and on was on the phone with his sanchita.

Sounds kinda like cal-trans...
Old 04-20-2006, 09:47 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
Sounds kinda like cal-trans...
lol
Old 04-24-2006, 10:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
Old 04-25-2006, 08:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: MOPAR Baby!! yeeaaaahhh