Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

This H.r.6166/sb 3930 business

Old 10-20-2006, 02:27 PM

Car Info: '99 2.5rs - Rally Blue
This H.r.6166/sb 3930 business

copy pasted

if you all dont know H.R.6166/SB 3930 was passed.. this means we could be really ****ed if the gov't wanted to abuse this.. let me break it down for you.... i suggest you read this..

* It revokes habeas corpus (the right to a trial).
* It creates a secret committee appointed by Bush and Rumsfeld that has the power to declare ANY person - even a US citizen - to be an ?illegal enemy combatant,? instantly depriving them of their legal rights, with no appeal allowed.
* It allows the police to search through your home without a search warrant.
* It ends all protection of prisoners-of-war under the Geneva Conventions.
* It gives George W. Bush amnesty for any war crimes he has committed.
* It allows for American citizens to be put on trial in front of a military tribunal even if they aren?t in any military and have not engaged in military
attacks against the USA.
* It allows the government to convict people of crimes on the basis of secret
evidence that the accused is not allowed to see.
* It makes it legal for the government to use testimony extracted through torture.
* It ends the legal right to be protected from forced self-incrimination.
* It allows the government to imprison U.S. citizens without telling them what crimes they are being charged with.
* It removes the right to cross-examine witnesses.
* It allows for the records of trials to be kept secret from the American public.
* It enables trials to begin even before an investigation of the alleged crime has taken place.
* It removes the right to a speedy trial, allowing U.S. citizens to sit in prison
for years without being charged of any crime.

we are now a dictatorship.

There is nothing in the "detainee" legislation that protects American citizens from being kidnapped by their own government and tortured.

Yale Law Professor Bruce Ackerman states in the L.A. Times, "The compromise legislation....authorizes the president to seize American citizens as enemy combatants, even if they have never left the United States. And once thrown into military prison, they cannot expect a trial by their peers or any other of the normal protections of the Bill of Rights."

Similarly, law Professor Marty Lederman explains: "this [subsection (ii) of the definition of 'unlawful enemy combatant'] means that if the Pentagon says you're an unlawful enemy combatant -- using whatever criteria they wish -- then as far as Congress, and U.S. law, is concerned, you are one, whether or not you have had any connection to 'hostilities' at all."

Last edited by svek; 02-20-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Who the f**k declared him high lord emperor? What does this have to do with the duties of being president?

Reminds me of WW2 and that cooky guy Hitler.

He makes Darth Vader proud.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Sec. 948c. Persons subject to military commissions

`Any alien unlawful enemy combatant is subject to trial by military commission under this chapter.

`Sec. 948d. Jurisdiction of military commissions

`(a) Jurisdiction- A military commission under this chapter shall have jurisdiction to try any offense made punishable by this chapter or the law of war when committed by an alien unlawful enemy combatant before, on, or after September 11, 2001.

`(b) Lawful Enemy Combatants- Military commissions under this chapter shall not have jurisdiction over lawful enemy combatants. Lawful enemy combatants who violate the law of war are subject to chapter 47 of this title. Courts-martial established under that chapter shall have jurisdiction to try a lawful enemy combatant for any offense made punishable under this chapter.

`(c) Determination of Unlawful Enemy Combatant Status Dispositive- A finding, whether before, on, or after the date of the enactment of the Military Commissions Act of 2006, by a Combatant Status Review Tribunal or another competent tribunal established under the authority of the President or the Secretary of Defense that a person is an unlawful enemy combatant is dispositive for purposes of jurisdiction for trial by military commission under this chapter.

`(d) Punishments- A military commission under this chapter may, under such limitations as the Secretary of Defense may prescribe, adjudge any punishment not forbidden by this chapter, including the penalty of death when authorized under this chapter or the law of war.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:46 PM

Car Info: '99 2.5rs - Rally Blue
stuff
`Sec. 948a. Definitions

`In this chapter:

`(1) UNLAWFUL ENEMY COMBATANT- (A) The term `unlawful enemy combatant' means--

`(i) a person who has engaged in hostilities or who has purposefully and materially supported hostilities against the United States or its co-belligerents who is not a lawful enemy combatant (including a person who is part of the Taliban, al Qaeda, or associated forces); or

`(ii) a person who, before, on, or after the date of the enactment of the Military Commissions Act of 2006, has been determined to be an unlawful enemy combatant by a Combatant Status Review Tribunal or another competent tribunal established under the authority of the President or the Secretary of Defense.

here it states "A PERSON" meaning anyone...
more stuff

S.3930
Military Commissions Act of 2006 (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by Senate)

SEC. 10. DETENTION COVERED BY REVIEW OF DECISIONS OF COMBATANT STATUS REVIEW TRIBUNALS OF PROPRIETY OF DETENTION.

Section 1005(e)(2)(B)(i) of the Detainee Treatment Act of 2005 (title X of Public Law 109-148; 119 Stat. 2742; 10 U.S.C. 801 note) is amended by striking `the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba' and inserting `the United States'.

Passed the Senate September 28, 2006.

Attest:

Secretary.

109th CONGRESS

2d Session

S. 3930

AN ACT

To authorize trial by military commission for violations of the law of war, and for other purposes.
________
Indica strains

Last edited by svek; 02-20-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:19 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Good grief...
Old 10-24-2006, 10:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
How in the holy hell does something like this get passed? Seriously?

Where is the outrage from every single red-blooded american?

I know the resident republicans on this board aren't so brainwashed that they believe this could possibly be a good thing.

We need to take a good hard look at where this country is heading. The biggest threat to Americans is not terrorists anymore. It's other power hungry Americans....

This is a sad sad day for democracy people. Wake up....
Old 10-24-2006, 10:23 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
hmm lokks like I should move to Canada when I get out of the Navy
Old 10-24-2006, 01:34 PM
VIP Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWjPWEBYYP4

Olberman's response to the Military Commissions Act of 2006 passing.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:33 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Read other threads much?

https://www.i-club.com/forums/teh-politics-forum-114/bush-our-supreme-ruler-148288/
Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Yeah sorry I missed that video in the initial post. But who cares. Hopefully someone else that also missed that in the other thread will click on it because it is such a powerful message. Either way I must have missed when you got elected "I-Club thread cop", Dick....
Old 10-24-2006, 10:55 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
Either way I must have missed when you got elected "I-Club thread cop", Dick....
Last week.

That's what you get for not voting!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:43 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Blah blah blah.
I hear a lot of whining & complaining.

When are you gonna do something about it?

I bet none of you have taken the time to hand write a letter to your local Rep/Congress person/etc.

Here's how the ****ers voted

Last edited by FW Motorsports; 10-25-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:21 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Last week.

That's what you get for not voting!
Touche

LOL
Old 10-25-2006, 10:24 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Blah blah blah.

I bet none of you have taken the time to hand write a letter to your local Rep/Congress person/etc.

Well I learned about it yesterday cause I was in the Caribbean last week (on the honeymoon) but don't count me out yet. I will make my voice heard with my vote as well as possibly a letter to my congressman.

As should everyone that is worried about this crazy/moronic law.

Thanks for the link too Paul....
Old 10-25-2006, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Blah blah blah.

My district votes Republican, so my rep doesn't give a **** what I think. But it doesn't matter, I'm not voting for anyone that thought this bill was a good idea.

Suspension of Habeas Corpus is the kind of thing you fight revolutions over if the system fails to correct such an egregious error. If somebody doesn't get this to the Supreme Court pronto, to be overturned, AND the administration and Congress fall in line with the (hopefully) correct decision regarding the Constitutionality of this law... the **** is going to hit the fan. Big time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This H.r.6166/sb 3930 business