Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

G-8 Leaders Agree on $50B in African Aid and $9B to Palestine

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 09:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
G-8 Leaders Agree on $50B in African Aid and $9B to Palestine

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050708/...ltBHNlYwM3MTY-

GLENEAGLES, Scotland - World leaders on Friday concluded an economic summit shaken by terrorism, offering an "alternative to the hatred" — a $50 billion aid package for Africa and up to $9 billion in additional support for the Palestinians over the next three years.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Yay :banana: more funds for terrorisim
Old 07-08-2005, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
wow. u are an idiot. im sure that there is a sheep that is lonely on your ranch cause you are busy on the net you backyard cross-burner
Old 07-08-2005, 11:18 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Now, now, dub, let's not get all pissy.

How much money has Africa received over, say, the last 40 years?
I'd say it's in the very high billions to low trillions.

And what, exactly, has all that money got us?
Are fewer people starving to death?
Are more people employed?
What scientific breakthroughs or medical marvels has any African nation given us?
What products can we find in stores that come from any African country?

Seems to me that giving African nations more money is like giving a junkie more smack.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:41 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dub2w
wow. u are an idiot. im sure that there is a sheep that is lonely on your ranch cause you are busy on the net you backyard cross-burner
*defense* That's nice since I guess that's all you can really say since your head is stuck way too far up your *** to realize I'm an athiest. But your narrowminded point of view only points to the generalizations your kind are capable of.

Money to idealogs in palistine = terrorisim dip****, do you really think these corrupt governments will give back to thier people? *defense*

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 07-08-2005 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:48 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Oaf
Seems to me that giving African nations more money is like giving a junkie more smack.
Great analogy.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Oaf

What scientific breakthroughs or medical marvels has any African nation given us?

Yeah you're right....F*ck the african nations...they don't offer anything good to global society...We should just forget about them.

Oh hell why don't we just carpet nuke the entire place and make it America East when the cloud dissapates?
Old 07-11-2005, 02:25 PM
VIP Member

I don't think that's his point.

We have invested trillions of dollars into a nation out of the goodness of our hearts. It's not barbaric or insensitive to want some type of return. You raise your children so they leave the nest after 18yrs. Thousands upon thousands of dollars are invested in everything you've provided them. As a parent, aren't you going to be a little disappointed when your 45yr old Son is still living in the basement watching Star Trek?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:18 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
As a parent, aren't you going to be a little disappointed when your 45yr old Son is still living in the basement watching Star Trek?

Yeah, disappointed. I'd still give him dinner and let him stay in the house though.

Oh...and I'd get him some Playboys too....
Old 07-12-2005, 12:53 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MVWRX
Yeah, disappointed. I'd still give him dinner and let him stay in the house though.

Oh...and I'd get him some Playboys too....
So you would just enable him to be a loser?

That's one way of looking at it, too bad it doesn't work. The only way he could learn confidence and self reliance is by kicking his *** out and making him have to work for himself. If that's your analogy, I have an uncle who lived with my grandparents until he was thirty five, when they finally gave him the boot he got a wake up call and a little dose of REALITY. He now owns a multi million dollar bakery.
Take a ****, or get off the pot.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Salty
I don't think that's his point.

We have invested trillions of dollars into a nation out of the goodness of our hearts. It's not barbaric or insensitive to want some type of return. You raise your children so they leave the nest after 18yrs. Thousands upon thousands of dollars are invested in everything you've provided them. As a parent, aren't you going to be a little disappointed when your 45yr old Son is still living in the basement watching Star Trek?
It may not be his point but there are people in those nations that need help, and we have the ability to give it. You two argue that we see no return and while it may not be as groundbreaking and large of a return as we would like to see, I would still argue to this day that the money and food aid that we send saves alot of damn people.

I'm also sure that some of that money gets into the hands of people who are not very upstanding, but such is life. Do you cut off the aid that saves thousands upon thousands just because you only hear about the negative stories involved? You don't ever hear about the people that the aid saves but you sure as hell hear about the corrupt government official that gets caught with his had in the proverbial cookie jar. It is never going to be as good as you expect it to be in terms of results.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
I have an uncle who lived with my grandparents until he was thirty five, when they finally gave him the boot he got a wake up call and a little dose of REALITY. He now owns a multi million dollar bakery.

So clearly he was fine after having lived with support for 35 years. Would he have done as well if he was kicked out at age 20? We don't know. Your story, with relation to the analogy, does not mean giving Africa money is a waste and it doesn't mean it needs to be 'cutoff'. It does, however, suggest that once Africa is close enough to self reliance that they are cutoff, they will be fine (maybe even a multi billion dollar bakery!).

It's generally bad to try to discount an idea/action by showing a success story of said action.

Last edited by MVWRX; 07-12-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Oaf

haha... sorry about that Vib. I had had a really bad day

but back to the thread:

to answer your questions Oaf, let me reciprocate with one of my own. How many of the African leaders in the last 40 years came into power due to American muscle / influence? The inherent problem is that Africa has long been a land of govt corruption. However, the IMF / World Bank / US / EU countries have participated in the corruption of many African governments over the course of the last 50 years.

In the end, the common people of Africa should not have to pay for this type of injustice. And we, the greatest nation in thw world, should step up and make things as right as possible.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:34 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dub2w
In the end, the common people of Africa should not have to pay for this type of injustice. And we, the greatest nation in thw world, should step up and make things as right as possible.
I'm curious as to how you think we should do this in a country where half of its people are corrupt and live by the rifle or under Sharia Law? Remember, we once went into Africa and had them drag our men through the streets. It wasn't just a few of them either… It was damn near all of them with a rabid monkey-like bloodlust. Wtf? Who does that?!

I’m not being a smartass either… I want your solution to the matter. We've gotten nowhere when we have a rockstart speak on Africans behalf (sigh) for a huge fundraiser only to have our goals double in order to keep up with the African population.

BTW, nice location. lol Do you really believe what you've written in there?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:58 AM

hehehehehehehehehehehehe...

<-----------------------------

my brother in law would be hella riled up if he saw this.

i see your point on the African situation. But let's not throw out the baby with the bath water. Granted, those countries have experienced tremendous bloodshed and ruthless violence. However, I believe that change for the better can occur with debt relief and aid

Last edited by dub2w; 07-12-2005 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: G-8 Leaders Agree on $50B in African Aid and $9B to Palestine