Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Female British police issued headscarves, so as to not offend muslims.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:23 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Female British police issued headscarves, so as to not offend muslims.

For you, Paul.

Head scarf for female officers to wear:

WOMEN police officers are being issued with head scarves – to improve relations with Muslim communities.

Community support officers in Avon and Somerset are also being given the *uniform-issue head coverings to be worn when they are on duty and entering places of worship.

There are two versions of the head coverings, one to match the black of the police officers’ uniform and one to match the blue uniforms of the community support officers.

Both garments are embroidered with the Avon and Somerset Constabulary emblem and will also be available to plain-clothes officers.

The head coverings have already been issued to eight community support officers and seven police officers, including Assistant Chief Constable Jackie Roberts.

Ms Roberts said: “Producing head coverings for our officers and staff to wear in places of worship is part of our commitment to engage with all our communities. It recognises and respects the cultural and religious practices of our communities.

“This is a very positive addition to the Avon and Somerset uniform and one which I’m sure will be a welcome item for many of our officers.”
Old 07-28-2009, 06:12 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
And I thought that the French were pussies....
Old 07-28-2009, 06:44 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
God save the queen... er... uhm Allah
Old 07-28-2009, 07:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
So guess the female police should accept honor killings when they disrespect muslim males.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:18 PM

Car Info: C:/ and D:/
I don't really see the big deal if they only have to wear them in the Muslim equivalent to church.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by mjc1055
I don't really see the big deal if they only have to wear them in the Muslim equivalent to church.
Do we ask Jewish cops to wear a cross when they have to enter a Christian church?

It's pretty ridiculous and this is just a way of manifesting this "white guilt" that so many people harbor inside. It will not earn England any kiss *** points.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Do we ask Jewish cops to wear a cross when they have to enter a Christian church?

It's pretty ridiculous and this is just a way of manifesting this "white guilt" that so many people harbor inside. It will not earn England any kiss *** points.
Catholic churches don't require a cross on the body to enter the establishment. However, Muslim places of worship require a headscarf to enter just as Catholic places require women to cover their shoulders, which I'm guessing the uniform already conforms to.

Whats the big ****ing deal?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:36 PM

Car Info: C:/ and D:/

This may sound like semantics, but not even practicing Christians have to wear crosses when they enter Christian churches. It's not that the Brits are kowtowing to their Muslim population out of fear, if that were the case, female officers would have to wear the head scarves all the time. I just see this as a nice little PR stunt, or possibly even an act of sensitivity (very naive, I know).
Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile

You don't seriously mean that, do you?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:30 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
The Muslim community in the UK is really a second class citizenship. Relations are very strained, and have been for years. I won't comment on what the working class white ppl call them, but it's nasty and a kind of rebellion has been fomenting for years.

If the powers that be can ease tensions with minor issues, then it's a plus for them.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:47 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ipozestu
You don't seriously mean that, do you?
It's not like they are having to wear them around town incase they come across a muslim. They are respecting citizens' religion when entering their place of worship. What's wrong with that?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:54 AM

Catholic churches don't require a cross on the body to enter the establishment.
Originally Posted by mjc1055
This may sound like semantics, but not even practicing Christians have to wear crosses when they enter Christian churches.
I'm well aware of this, but you are missing the point. If you are not Muslim you shouldn't have to conform to Muslim customs if you don't want to regardless if your job occasionally requires you to enter a mosque.

Requiring the women to wear that is disrespectful to those who don't want to. It should be voluntary so it would actually be a meaningful gesture w/o insulting the female police officers.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX, 2015 Murano, 2017 NGM Camaro SS
Perhaps the officers here will be issued ponchos and sombreros to not offend the latin community?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 AM
VIP Member

I'm well aware of this, but you are missing the point. If you are not Muslim you shouldn't have to conform to Muslim customs if you don't want to regardless if your job occasionally requires you to enter a mosque.

Requiring the women to wear that is disrespectful to those who don't want to. It should be voluntary so it would actually be a meaningful gesture w/o insulting the female police officers.
So are you against women having to cover their shoulders and men having to remove their hats when entering a Catholic church? It is no different. In fact, read the last line of the article

But the force said they can also be used in other religious settings as a mark of respect, for instance to cover the shoulders of a plain-clothes female officer in a church.
****, if we give in to the Catholics, we might have a whole 'nother holocaust on our hands soon! This is bull ****! We CANNOT respect others' religions!

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 07-29-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:55 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Catholic churches don't require a cross on the body to enter the establishment. However, Muslim places of worship require a headscarf to enter just as Catholic places require women to cover their shoulders, which I'm guessing the uniform already conforms to.

No they don't.

Quick Reply: Female British police issued headscarves, so as to not offend muslims.