Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

The CEO of CBS's parent company, a "liberal Democrat," says he's endorsing Bush

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 09:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
The CEO of CBS's parent company, a "liberal Democrat," says he's endorsing Bush

Too damn funny...

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005669

Guess Who's a GOP Booster?

The CEO of CBS's parent company endorses President Bush.

Friday, September 24, 2004 12:01 a.m. EDT

From The Asian Wall Street Journal

With the scandal at CBS still festering, questions are being raised about whether a felony was committed when the network broadcast apparently forged memos in an attempt to discredit George W. Bush. Yesterday, the chairman of CBS's parent company chose Hong Kong as a place to drop a little bomb. Sumner Redstone, [b]who calls himself a "liberal Democrat,"[b] said he's supporting President Bush.

The chairman of the entertainment giant Viacom said the reason was simple: Republican values are what U.S. companies need. Speaking to some of America's and Asia's top executives gathered for Forbes magazine's annual Global CEO Conference, Mr. Redstone declared: "I look at the election from what's good for Viacom. I vote for what's good for Viacom. I vote, today, Viacom.

"I don't want to denigrate Kerry," he went on, "but from a Viacom standpoint, the election of a Republican administration is a better deal. Because the Republican administration has stood for many things we believe in, deregulation and so on. The Democrats are not bad people. . . . But from a Viacom standpoint, we believe the election of a Republican administration is better for our company."

Sharing the stage with Mr. Redstone was Steve Forbes, CEO, president and editor in chief of Forbes and a former Republican presidential aspirant, who quipped: "Obviously you're a very enlightened CEO."
I could see your regular run-of-the-mill Democrat taking a stance to support their company with Republican ideals, but not someone that calls themselves a "liberal Democrat." That's like psoper suggesting the privatization of social security after eating a spicy lunch.

There’s no possible way I could prove Sumner Redstone’s telling the truth or not. I just think it’s ironic that he’s taking this stance, as a “liberal Democrat”, given the recent events with CBS news.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:41 AM
VIP Member

He's definitely not a Democrat if he's voting on whats best for his company. Sounds like a Republican to me.

Originally Posted by From The Asian Wall Street Journal
"The chairman of the entertainment giant Viacom said the reason was simple: Republican values are what U.S. companies need."
Duh?! Why is this noteworthy? Of course, corporate giants are concerned only for whats in their best interest. Most Forbes 500 CEO's vote Republican because Republican tax policy favors the top 1%. Bushie's tax cuts have not ventured from this.

Originally Posted by From The Asian Wall Street Journal
"I look at the election from what's good for Viacom. I vote for what's good for Viacom."
Whats best for Viacom is not whats best for America.

Last edited by Salty; 09-24-2004 at 09:50 AM. Reason: The Asian Wall Street Journal is quoted as saying that, not myself.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by njc200
He's definitely not a Democrat if he's voting on whats best for his company. Sounds like a Republican to me...

...Duh?! Why is this noteworthy? Of course, corporate giants are concerned only for whats in their best interest. Most Forbes 500 CEO's vote Republican because Republican tax policy favors the top 1%. Bushie's tax cuts have not ventured from this...

...Whats best for Viacom is not whats best for America.

Read the article carefully.

I'll help you out...

From The Asian Wall Street Journal
Sumner Redstone, who calls himself a "liberal Democrat," said he's supporting President Bush.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:33 AM
VIP Member

Yeah, I read that. Not only was it in the article, but it was in your post.

To quote one of my favorite movies, Fight Club, "Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."

Just because he says he's a liberal Democrat does not make make him a Democrat. If he believes in Republican ideals and votes Republican, he's a Republican.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:57 AM
VIP Member

Yeah, I read that. Not only was it in the article, but it was in your post.
Right... but I never said it which was why I quoted it! That's the very essence of quoting! People already have a short attention span when reading posts and getting their facts straight. You don't have to make it seem like those were my words to validate your point.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=quote&r=67

When you hit the little quote button on the bottom right corner of your screen it doesn't automatically bring down items that have been previously quoted. You had to deliberately cut and pasted the article and add "quote=Salty" instead of giving credit to the author.

Just because he says he's a liberal Democrat does not make make him a Democrat. If he believes in Republican ideals and votes Republican, he's a Republican.
So if i'm a registered Democrat and vote for Bush because it protects my corporation's interest, then i'm a Republican by default? Just making sure i'm on the right track here.

Last edited by Salty; 09-24-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Salty
You don't have to make it seem like those were my words to validate your point.

When you hit the little quote button on the bottom right corner of your screen it doesn't automatically bring down items that have been previously quoted. You had to deliberately cut and pasted the article and add "quote=Salty" instead of giving credit to the author.
I apologize for making it seem like you said that. I think anybody who read that knew what was happening. I took something from your post and deleted what I wasn't referring to directly. Thanks for fixing my post above to more accurately represent what I was quoting. I'm still figuring out these posting tags.

So if i'm a registered Democrat and vote for Bush because it protects my corporation's interest, then i'm a Republican by default? Just making sure i'm on the right track here.
Yes. If you feel the Republican platform more closely represents your beliefs and then you vote Republican. You are a Republican.

One of the funny things about Democrats is that they'll let anybody call themselves Democrats. In the Democrat primaries in my state, they'll let anybody vote, Demo or Republican. But to vote in the Republican primaries, you must be a registered Republican. I'm not sure if its like this in other places.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:05 PM
VIP Member

Yes. If you feel the Republican platform more closely represents your beliefs and then you vote Republican. You are a Republican.
So explain to me how voting in the best interest of Viacom closely represents Redstone's beliefs?

Based on your logic it's safe to say that if a textbook Democrat (one that believes in everything the party stands for) votes Republican because he/she doesn't agree on one issue, then they're Republican by default, correct?
Old 09-24-2004, 12:41 PM
VIP Member

So explain to me how voting in the best interest of Viacom closely represents Redstone's beliefs?
I'm not sure what exactly Redstone believes. But lets look at two scenarios.

First, Redstone doesn't believe in the Republican ideals, but still votes Republican because its better for the company he runs.

Second, Redstone does believe in the Republican ideals and then votes accordingly but just says he's a Democrat.

First scenario: He is doing what is best for the company, not for the country. Redstone is a sellout and unpatriotic.

Second: If somebody believes in the Republican ideals and votes in that direction, he is a Republican. You can't be a slave to two masters as Jesus Christ said. He can't believe in Republican and Democrat ideals. They don't mesh well.

Based on your logic it's safe to say that if a textbook Democrat (one that believes in everything the party stands for) votes Republican because he/she doesn't agree on one issue, then they're Republican by default, correct?
How could somebody believe in everything a party stands for, but vote for the other party? Doesn't make sense. A textbook Democrat, Republican or otherwise isn't going to vote for the other party just because they disagree with one issue. They would remain loyal to the party.

Do you agree with any of these points?
Old 09-24-2004, 01:09 PM
VIP Member

Redstone is a sellout and unpatriotic.
Could it be because of the recent events with Dan Rather and CBS news, right?

How could somebody believe in everything a party stands for, but vote for the other party? Doesn't make sense. A textbook Democrat, Republican or otherwise isn't going to vote for the other party just because they disagree with one issue. They would remain loyal to the party.

What if a Registered Republican Mother believes in everything Republican, including OIF, but votes Democrat anyway because her son's in Iraq and she believes Kerry will bring him home?

What if a Registered Democrat believes in everything Democrat but recently aborted a fetus and feels absolutely disgusted with herself. She's so appalled with her recent action that she votes Pro-Life Republican despite solid Democrat beliefs.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
If you sound like a duck, and walk like a duck, you're a duck. I don't care what this guy claims to be, by voting for Bush in the interest of his corp., Mr. Redass is not a "liberal democrat", he is a republican. There are card carrying american citizen muslim extreamist terrorist, but when we catch them we don't treat them as domestic terrorist and try them as such. Instead we treat them as enemy combatants/terrorists because despite their claimed citizen ship, they do not act like Americans and in fact, go against and attack everything that being American is about. That is what redass is doing here. He is an enemy combatant of the DNC. Maybe that's extream, but you get the idea.

-Chris

Voting outside your party is one thing... I have done more than once. But voting for a Pres. with such a polar difference on views of ALL major policies is totally different.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:34 PM
VIP Member

Not really answering my question, but thats ok. I'll answer yours.

Could it be because of the recent events with Dan Rather and CBS news, right?
Exactly. Sellout. Saving his own hide without thought of the good of the country. Typical CEO.

What if a Registered Republican Mother believes in everything Republican, including OIF, but votes Democrat anyway because her son's in Iraq and she believes Kerry will bring him home?

What if a Registered Democrat believes in everything Democrat but recently aborted a fetus and feels absolutely disgusted with herself. She's so appalled with her recent action that she votes Pro-Life Republican despite solid Democrat beliefs.

I see your points with both of them. But if the issue that is most important to you is the abortion issue, even though you relate more to a greater number of individual Democratic beliefs, but that one issue of abortion is a big enough factor to make you vote Republican, I believe that makes you a Republican. That aborting mother votes Republican because her biggest issue agrees with the Republican platform. Thus she's a Republican.

Just my opinion. It has been a long day and I'm not writing it as eloquently as I'd like, but I think you get the point.