Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Cash-Strapped Pentagon Taps Emergency Fund

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 01:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Cash-Strapped Pentagon Taps Emergency Fund

Emergency fund -or- i'm trying to pull my head out of my *** fund?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...semergencyfund

WASHINGTON — A relentless insurgency in Iraq (news - web sites) has prompted the Pentagon (news - web sites) to begin spending money from a $25-billion emergency fund that Bush administration officials had once said would not be needed this fiscal year, officials said Tuesday.

Unable to tap into regular 2005 funding until the Oct. 1 start of the new fiscal year, the Pentagon has already spent more than $2 billion from the emergency fund.

President Bush (news - web sites) requested the emergency funds from Congress in May to pay for a war that is longer and more violent than he and his Pentagon strategists had predicted. The money will help pay for equipment for troops heading to Iraq this fall.
You be the judge.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
So the Bush did a woefully inadequate job of budgeting for the Iraq invasion. This is news?
Old 09-22-2004, 01:53 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I want a law that says for every $1.00 the gov't spends on the war (and defense in general), another $0.75 cents has to be spent on education. Since education IS defense, people who want more money for defense should be happy. And since education is a huge issue to people who think we spend too much on defense, they'll be happy too. See? Everyone's happy, we all get to have smart kids without throwing money at a private school, the divide between the haves and the havenots will shrink because education would become less segregated by income than it is now, and if when we DO get into wars, we'll be able to have some genius design unmanned equipment so we'll have less casualties.

Not to mention funding education would prevent rich people from getting their children into Ivy League schools they aren't qualified to get into (by having them attend elite-but-easy prep schools), and having them later get jobs they aren't qualified for, and finally ending up as the leader of the free world without be qualified.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:58 PM

Ivy League Schools are usually easier than big public schools. I almost went to one but cost prohibited me. I didn't want to leave with a BS and have over 100k in debt. And still have my masters to work on.