Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Normal to hear a clunk with new sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Its not normal. But the bar might be hitting your exhaust. One way to check is to put some talc or snap-o-line powder on the bar and drive around the block and make it clunk. The powder will transfer to the place it touches. Likewise, look for rub marks on the exhaust pipes under the bar.

jason
Old 04-05-2004, 10:40 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
Did you replace your endlinks also? The Kartboy endlinks are smaller than stock and I hear they fix the problem of the swaybar whacking against the exhaust.

I can say I've had no clunking at all and I have the Kartboys.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

I experienced a small clunk as well, I have the cusco rear swaybar and helix endlinks.

:banana:
Old 04-09-2004, 06:18 AM

Smile

Heh... I was experiencing a clunking noise when I put a Sedan swaybar and whiteline endlinks on my wagon. Of course, I hadn't tightened the nuts on one of the endlinks down to the appropriate torque... Once I did that my personal clunking noise vanished...
Old 07-22-2004, 05:34 PM

Car Info: 2004 Aspen White WRX wagon
Originally Posted by wolfen42
Heh... I was experiencing a clunking noise when I put a Sedan swaybar and whiteline endlinks on my wagon. Of course, I hadn't tightened the nuts on one of the endlinks down to the appropriate torque... Once I did that my personal clunking noise vanished...
HELP!! I also installed the sedan swaybar to my wagon.. There was clunking noise only when I make right hand turns.. Even slow turns now.. So I wanted to tighten everything.. But the bolt on the car's bracket (black) holding the little metal U shaped piece that holds the bushings snapped off.. Plus, the clunking is still there.. Anyone know where I can get a replacement piece? And also what I should do with the clunking noise? THANKS!
Old 07-24-2004, 08:25 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Originally Posted by blingbling
Okay, I was just doing a little testing out in the parking lot. Do a sharp right, and "clunk." However, do repeated sharp rights and no more noise. Then guess what, turn sharp left, and "clunk." Continue doing sharp lefts and nothing. Do sharp right, and "clunk"........ Seems that the bar shifts when being used. I didn't think it did that (and it probably shouldn't). Once again, it's secure as can be.

I'll check the exhaust rubbing idea when I get a chance.

Other then the clunk, holy ****! With the tires (225/50/16 KDWS's) and sway bar, the car f'ing turns now. Brothers and Sisters, can I get a "PRAISE THE LORD"!!!!!!

Sure you don't have a cantaloupe rolling back and forth in your trunk?

(it could be something like your jack/spare tire etc, shifting, too)
Old 07-25-2004, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Mine was hitting the plastic cover for the fuel filler and breather tubes. You could check that
Old 07-26-2004, 09:59 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
I have a COBB rear with Perrin endlinks and I've noticed the same problem. I took the car to the track and I hear the clunk sound on sudden turns. I thought it was the mounting brackets so I re-torqued them and the sound still occurs. I think with the Perrin endlinks...since they have spherical bearings and under extreme turns, the sway bar just moves. I noticed that the endlinks always change angles and that is due to the spherical bearings. If anyone else with Perrin endlinks can comment on this, that would be great.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:24 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
Originally Posted by Wrx17
I have a COBB rear with Perrin endlinks and I've noticed the same problem. I took the car to the track and I hear the clunk sound on sudden turns. I thought it was the mounting brackets so I re-torqued them and the sound still occurs. I think with the Perrin endlinks...since they have spherical bearings and under extreme turns, the sway bar just moves. I noticed that the endlinks always change angles and that is due to the spherical bearings. If anyone else with Perrin endlinks can comment on this, that would be great.
Also make sure you torque the endlink bolts to the proper specs. Should be 35 I think, if you don't they will make noise.

I also have the perrin bar and links installed on a sedan. At stock ride height I didn't hear any clunking, but now that the car is lowered I hear it clunck when I hit sudden bumps at high speed. I believe it is hitting my exhaust, but I have not bothered to check.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:44 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Originally Posted by theworx
Also make sure you torque the endlink bolts to the proper specs. Should be 35 I think, if you don't they will make noise.

I also have the perrin bar and links installed on a sedan. At stock ride height I didn't hear any clunking, but now that the car is lowered I hear it clunck when I hit sudden bumps at high speed. I believe it is hitting my exhaust, but I have not bothered to check.
I'll try that...thanks. The bracket bolts are 30 ft lbs, right? I lost the sheet with the specs and I thought I remember seeing that number.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:50 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
Not sure what the bracket bolts are. I couldn't get a torque wrench in there so I did the ol' turn till it stops without breaking the bolt method.

Quick Reply: Normal to hear a clunk with new sway bar?