i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Handling, and Brakes (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/)
-   -   need Strut bar installation tips.. (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/need-strut-bar-installation-tips-1740/)

wj36 11-30-2002 10:25 PM

need Strut bar installation tips..

hello WRX fans ...

i have just installed a new strut bar on my WRX with those STI replica one...but noticed something very strange.. the bar and the hose are literally come in contact side by side after being installed. Im worried that the vibration from the strut will have an affect on the AC.

Does anyone knows how to avoid this? or is this normal for strutbar installed on WRX?

can someone pls assist... or give me suggestion...

thanks a lot in advance, folks.

wj36

kenchan 11-30-2002 11:15 PM

i have the cusco's and had to change location of the braket on the driver side (black hose) and bend the AC lines (aluminum)
downward to get about 4mm clearance.

dont over do it as those lines will snap on you. but you should
bend it downward (from around the firewall area) and get clearance. it is not good to have anything touching the strut bar
as they do tend to move around during high speed cornering and going over ramps.

Dick Fitzwell 12-02-2002 11:33 AM

not strange at all. all front strut bars that i have seen have required some bending of the a/c line.;)

wj36 12-02-2002 05:42 PM

many thanks for your input, fellas,
seems like bending the AC hose is the way to go..,

afterall.. solid cornering is what we're after

gtguy 12-09-2002 08:27 PM

Here's a tip: Don't install it, and certainly don't relocate stuff in the engine bay to do it. Why? Because a front strut tower has no, I repeat, no effect on a WRX, and barely any in a softer (torsionally) GC8.

The chicks dig it, though.

Kevin

NeVzWRX 12-14-2002 01:15 PM

OK if u gonna install it DON'T bend the AC line. Just unscrew it on the right side of the engine bay where its held by 2 screw and shift it down screwing the top screw into the bottom hole so its shifted down almost an inch. It works fine.

ImprezaRSDriver 12-16-2002 08:56 PM

What I did was bend the mount such that it still hold the AC line down but move it just enough so that it clears the strut tower bar. It may do almost nothing but it never hurts to have.

Vision 12-17-2002 08:22 PM

Also if it's touching remember to put a piece of rubber between the a/c and strut bar

kenchan 12-18-2002 11:08 AM

gtguy- hahaha. you obviously do not have aftermarket coilovers or suspension systems. it is a night/day difference on my car.

Almost_Stock 12-18-2002 11:54 AM

GTguy / Kenchan,

Why the wildly different opinions on what effect (if any) this brace makes on the same car? What are your experiences? Are the cars set up similarly or different? What are they used for?

I ask since I'm about to order one (to go along with Cusco camber plates, sway bars, etc.) but have not heard overwhelmingly positive things thus far.

Thanks in advance, gents.

--BA

kenchan 12-18-2002 04:34 PM

almos-stock- if your car is using a soft factory or aftermarket setup, you probably wont know the difference. but since my ride has tein HA's on there, there is a major difference having the front
strut bar. the rear is a mild difference but noticable at high speed
cornering. i use both cuscos for front/rear.

the initial difference is that your steering will feel much more
active and responsive, and your car will change direction in a
snap. on the factory sus, the steering is mushy.

im on a 02wrx.

strut bars on factory setup will be basically meaningless.

Dick Fitzwell 12-20-2002 05:18 AM

if you are thinking about doing it then do it.

who cares if there is little or no difference. for the money, it is one of the cheaper mods you can do to your subaru

only stipulation would be if you are planning on running an aftermarket top-mount intercooler. if so you should look for a sti or replica in order to clear the larger intercooler

Kevin M 12-26-2002 06:50 PM

Strut bars are sort of hard to notice if you are inexperienced, but on a sharply-tuned car they can make a difference. The bigger help to steering response and turn-in though is to replace your control arm and steering rack bushings. Night and day difference to all but the most casual driver.

RonaldWRX 01-03-2003 06:54 AM

quick question i had about strut bars and ac lines too .. does anyone know if all front strut bars interfere with the ac lines? i always see people saying the cusco requires the ac line bend but never see anyone talking about the sti or the sti cf bars .. anyone know for sure?

Kevin M 01-03-2003 07:54 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RonaldWRX [/i]
[B]quick question i had about strut bars and ac lines too .. does anyone know if all front strut bars interfere with the ac lines? i always see people saying the cusco requires the ac line bend but never see anyone talking about the sti or the sti cf bars .. anyone know for sure? [/B][/QUOTE]

If you're lucky you can find someone local with one, or a very understanding deskman at a Suby dealer parts department that stocks one. Otherwise, I think you're going to get answers both ways.