Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Hey wagon guys... newbie needs some suspension advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 02:37 PM

Talking Hey wagon guys... newbie needs some suspension advice.

I use the car as a daily driver, and it is highly unlikely I will ever track it. I would like stiffer suspension, and less body roll, but I don't want something that is uncomfortable to drive on long trips or on a daily basis.

I would appreciate it if you guys could give me some decent advice on suspension upgrades here are some questions:

What type of springs did you get?
How much was the car lowered?
How much did it cost?

Did you replace your struts?
How much did it cost?

Do you have strut tower braces? (In the wagon one in the rear probably would limit the functionality of the cargo area)

Have you upgraded your swaybars?
If so how big did you go?
What brand?
How much did it cost?

I also plan on getting 17" rims.. probably O.Z.
Any advice on tire/wheel combos?
Also how much?

Any advice on wrx tuners in san jose that will do all of this work at a reasonable rate, with good prices?

THanks!! I know it's long but I will really appreciate your answers.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
What type of springs did you get? STi v7 pinks

How much was the car lowered? Not very much, but enough to lower the COG and help with handling

How much did it cost? Purchased them with the struts and strut tops

Did you replace your struts? STi v7 pinks – 4-way adjustable

How much did it cost? STi struts, springs, and strut tops about $2200.00

Do you have strut tower braces? (In the wagon one in the rear probably would limit the functionality of the cargo area)

Yes I have front and rear braces. The front doesn’t really do anything unless you are at the limits of the car and then it only helps a little. Mainly due to the strut location already being close to the firewall and there isn't much chassie flex. The rear bar does help, but it does limit what you can put in the rear hatch area. You can still carry stuff but you may have to slide it under the bar or remove the bar if you have something serious.

Have you upgraded your swaybars? Yes, the rear

If so how big did you go? 20mm

What brand? Subaru WRX Sedan OEM

How much did it cost? Used free

Any advice on tire/wheel combos?

Since it’s a daily driver and if you drive in the snow get a good M+S rated tire. I believe Azenis make a pretty good M+S tire for a pretty good price.

Also how much? http://www.vulcantire.com/

Any advice on wrx tuners in san jose that will do all of this work at a reasonable rate, with good prices?

MPJ in Hayward. They are not a “tuner” but they have great prices and they can install anything you want. I think that i-speed and Vishnu are some of the “tuners” in your area.

Best advice I can give you is to get your rims and tires 1st, they will make a huge difference. Next try some equally matched swaybars both front and rear. It will also make a huge difference in body roll and performance. Some people will say you don’t need an upgraded front bar, but if you get a matched set up it will help. Get the adjustable rear one like the new Cobb set up. Tubular bars which are light and the rear is adjustable. The cost about $350 for the set I think. That will really be all that you need unless you just want to drop the car a bit with springs. Prodrive’s have been use a lot and so have Eibach. There are a ton of spring combos that you can use. Just do some searching around and you can find stuff for sale cheep from other i-club members or venders.

Most of these items will not really affect ride quality to much. The springs will of course stiffen up the ride a bit but you will still have some comfort. When you start getting into replacing bushings you will get more noise/vibration (engine and tranny mounts, end links, front control arm bushings, etc.).

Steering rack bushing is a nice bushing to add. Tightens up your steering wheel a bit. It kinda snaps back quicker. After awhile you will forget you even have it installed.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Lowball

Last edited by Lowball; 05-08-2004 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:44 PM

Talking Thanks....

Awesome reply. That definitely gives me a good idea of what I want to do to the car. Thanks for taking the time.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
Originally Posted by fjork_duf
Awesome reply. That definitely gives me a good idea of what I want to do to the car. Thanks for taking the time.
Yeah, no worries. Just remember...if $$$ is an issue you don't have to change out the front sway bar. Just going to a rear 20mm adjustable (if you can find one), or the sedan rear bar will make a nice difference.

LB
Old 05-10-2004, 03:10 PM

Thumbs up Thanks...

I would probably get 17's mostly for looks. I think the 16's look o.k. but I am not the biggest fan. I was actually somewhat worried about the theft potential of aftermarket wheels though. That's a good point.

What I have been hearing is that aftermarket swaybars with the stock suspension seem to do quite a bit for the handling. I think I will probably get swaybars first.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:16 PM

What type of springs did you get? TEIN H-Techs

How much was the car lowered? 1.75" in the front / .7" in the rear

How much did it cost? $175.50 w/free shipping

Did you replace your struts? no

How much did it cost? Stock '04 wagon struts

Do you have strut tower braces? (In the wagon one in the rear probably would limit the functionality of the cargo area) no

Have you upgraded your swaybars? Yes, the rear

If so how big did you go? 20mm

What brand? Subaru WRX Sedan OEM

How much did it cost? $50

Any advice on wrx tuners in san jose that will do all of this work at a reasonable rate, with good prices? did the work myself

here's some pics:
before:

After:

i drive ALOT for work, have about 10k miles in the 10 weeks that i have owned my WRX. just put the springs on last night and drove 250miles today. they springs are firmer, while not being harsh. body roll is reduced and the 20mm sway bar helped too. the handling feels more neutral than before.

Last edited by Danno_man; 05-19-2004 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:40 PM

Thumbs up spring install

i drive ALOT for work, have about 10k miles in the 10 weeks that i have owned my WRX. just put the springs on last night and drove 250miles today. they springs are firmer, while not being harsh. body roll is reduced and the 20mm sway bar helped too. the handling feels more neutral than before.
Nice looking wagon... hmm this looks like a good way to go. How difficult was the install?
Old 05-19-2004, 04:42 PM

1 person (me), 3 hours with the use of air tools.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
My 02 wagon,

Suspension mods:............Price I Paid:.................Where I got them
Tien wagon s.tech's.............125.......................... ...Used locally
STi Rep F+R strut bars.........110................................Eb ay ;o
Cusco 4 pt ladder bar..........140..............................Used Locally
Perrin rear sway bar............150..............................Ni no's auto
Perrin rear endlinks..............100......................... .....Nino's auto
Helix front endlinks................90........................ .........Gruppe-S

SSR Competitions +50 offset
215/45/17 rubber,

Up next - Perrin P.R.S.R. // 225 RUBBER! // maybe lightweight battery / subframe

Last edited by SsTiNgEr77; 05-20-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:11 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRB WRX Wagon
I commute about 100miles every day, so driving comfort was extremely important when I setup my wagon.

What type of springs did you get? Prodrive
How much was the car lowered? 1-1.5"
How much did it cost? <$500

Did you replace your struts? No.
How much did it cost? N/A

Do you have strut tower braces? JDM STI Titanium - Front only.

Have you upgraded your swaybars? No.

Any advice on tire/wheel combos? I'm running 18x8" Prodrive PFF7 wheels and 225/40/18 tires for summer/track. Winter/rally I use 17x7" P1's and 215/45/17 tires. The 18's definitely look better IMHO.

Any advice on wrx tuners in san jose that will do all of this work at a reasonable rate, with good prices? www.autoinnovations.com in milpitas did everything for me.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:40 AM

Car Info: sold 2012 wrx sedan (sold 02 WRX wagon)
What type of springs did you get? Stock
How much was the car lowered? 0"
How much did it cost? $0

Did you replace your struts? Yes, KONI inserts.
How much did it cost? ~$600 for the inserts, $160 for install and alignment at autoinnovations.

Do you have strut tower braces? Yes, ebay STi replica front, Whiteline Wagon rear. Custom STi replica front lower chassis brace.

Have you upgraded your swaybars? Yes, Whiteline 22mm front, Whiteline 22mm adjustable rear. Whiteline front and rear alloy endlinks. Whiteline heavy duty rear swaybar mounts.

Also, '01 RS Wheels (16x7) with Falken Azenis Sport tires (205/55-16), Whiteline ALK, Whiteline steering rack bushings, Whiteline rear (differential) subframe bushings.

The ride is firmer than stock, yet still very compliant. Actually absorbes sharp bumps much better than stock. Got rid of the "floaty" feeling when driving aggressively.

Last edited by spelk3; 05-29-2004 at 12:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Hey wagon guys... newbie needs some suspension advice.