i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Handling, and Brakes (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/)
-   -   Are Front Strut Bars Worth it? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/front-strut-bars-worth-1195/)

Hassassin 11-25-2002 09:15 PM

Are Front Strut Bars Worth it?

well are they? should i go for the cheap ones on ebay for 23.99?

Arcanum 11-25-2002 09:21 PM

Can't say I've had them on my Suby, but yes. The other cars I've owned I have put them on. I did notice it. Tightened things up a bit. Not to make it sound like it make a canyon carver out of the car, but for the low cost (100 bucks) they work. Don't know if I'd go with $24 one thou. Most of the time, you get what you pay for.

/\rcanum

rohde88 11-25-2002 10:17 PM

But it is a cool engine dress up item ! A good package of sway bars, strut braces, and bushing altogether do much but each alone is a bit weak

stealth-wrx 11-25-2002 10:58 PM

they always look nice plus it has a cool factor

Dick Fitzwell 11-26-2002 07:04 AM

i asked a rally racer this same question. i was wondering if they were necessary or made a difference. i was told that they really don't make that much of a difference with stock suspension but on the other hand they do with aftermarket. i didn't go into detail, but i'm assuming that meant coilovers? she told me she had seen windshields crack/bust running stiffer suspension and no front strut brace (while rallyracing). hope this helps.;)
DF

p.s. if you are going to buy one i would suggest an sti or sti replica as they are the only strut bars (that i know of) that will clear a bigger top mount intercooler..

stealth-wrx 11-26-2002 09:10 AM

i am sure if you have a full roll cage strut bars don't mean crap.

Wingnut 11-26-2002 09:25 AM

i asked myself the same question last week: are front strut bars worth it. after reading about mixed opinions on iclub, i went ahead and bought them yesterday. after putting in on, i took a test drive in the hills near my house to see if there was a difference. result....there IS a difference.

i noticed that my car is sturdier and more "composed" around turns and over bumps. however, understeer is ENHANCED, so i have to work a little "harder" while cornering.

i bought the Sti replica strut bar, btw. for the price, i think it's a good purchase.

Obi-Wan 11-26-2002 09:35 AM

I know I could feel the difference when I put one on my old Civic.
But that's a different car, the WRX is probably a lot stiffer to begin with.

Wingnut 11-26-2002 01:53 PM

read: my Sti replica fr strut bar was put on my WRX. there was a difference. as for how significant the change is, i can't tell you there. from a complete stock setup, the strut bar DID make a difference.

WRX-U 11-26-2002 02:25 PM

Key..

If you really think about the logic behind the whole thing I think that there are only good facts.

a girl friend of mine once told me "stiffer is better" so....

~B

Lobster Man 11-26-2002 03:02 PM

They really do nothing b/c they are so close to the fire wall. If you wanna feel a difference, get a rear sway bar.

Daios 11-26-2002 03:43 PM

i would think the rear strut bars would make more of a difference than the fronts. the front struts are already very close to the firewall so not that much flexing will happen, esp on a stock suspension. the rears would flex more so they would make a bigger difference. also rear low tie bars don't do anything.

edit: yah basically what lobster man said

[b][color=FF0066]Daios[/color][/b] [i](Day-ohhss)[/i]

Wingnut 11-26-2002 04:15 PM

hey, i'm just jotting down what i noticed. the rear strut bar idea is cool and i would go with that too, but the passthrough is just way too important for me to go put a bar in between.

for the chump change to get a better feel, i'd do it again if i had to make the same decision.

imprezton 11-26-2002 04:19 PM

I worry about losing cargo space in my wagon

stealth-wrx 11-26-2002 04:50 PM

they are so cheap these days you cannot afford not to have one