Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

Eibach Lateral Links not playing well with Perrin Sway Bar/Endlinks

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:14 AM

Car Info: '05 Saab 92x Aero
Eibach Lateral Links not playing well with Perrin Sway Bar/Endlinks

Smart people of the interwebz! I'm having an issue I'm hoping I could get some opinions on.

I recently replaced my lateral links with Eibach/SPC adjustable links since my stock ones were bent. When re-installing my sway bar however, the clearance on the passenger side is entirely too tight, causing the sway bar to hit the endlink mount. The endlink mounts are beefy adjustable aluminum pieces that are held on with pinch bolts - problem is ... maybe they're too beefy?

To answer questions of what I've already tried, I tried all holes on the adjustable sway bar, the one it's in in the picture had the most clearance. I've also adjusted the sway bar as far to the rear of the car as I can using the Perrin stout mounts I have. I've tried rotating the endlink mount straight down like it should be but that clearance was even tighter, and I couldn't reach any of the holes with the endlinks w/o putting load on the sway bar. The driver side looks just fine.

So what should I do? Obv. I can't keep it like this since the rubbing of the mount and sway bar will eventually bend the lateral link again. Longer endlinks? Different lateral links that have welded on mounts? Different rear sway bar? Any help would be appreciated.

Name:  0E6E1138-7F6A-47D8-919C-6CED2BE74051_zpsnzrojck7.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  172.4 KB
Old 09-26-2016, 12:20 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
I'll get under my car tonight when I get home and take a picture. Those are, for the most part, fixed mounting points so the distances shouldn't change even if they're really close. The end link is supposed to wrap around the lateral link, and the end of the sway bar should sit just above the lateral link.

It looks to me, from that picture, if you set the mount pointing straight down that everything should sit where it needs to be.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Did you get an alignment right away, or just eyeballed the arm length next to stock? Devil may be in the details there.

I had my car up on ramps when I was putting on a bigger rear sway, and while one side went right on, the other needed some massaging. I used a jack to push up the axle carrier a bit, which helped.

HTH
Old 09-26-2016, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rev. Rob Large
I'll get under my car tonight when I get home and take a picture. Those are, for the most part, fixed mounting points so the distances shouldn't change even if they're really close. The end link is supposed to wrap around the lateral link, and the end of the sway bar should sit just above the lateral link.

It looks to me, from that picture, if you set the mount pointing straight down that everything should sit where it needs to be.
Hmmm, yea it looooooks like that should be the case but, and maybe I didn't have it quite in the right spot, when I had the lateral link mount straight down, the sway bar was just as close to the mount, if not closer, and doing that threw the driver side off some. grrrrrr. I could try and drive her on the ramps again to see if I can loosen the driver side and do the passenger first - my patience for DIYing this mod is running thin though since it continues to not work out.

I went to BAM sway-bar-less since I couldn't get it installed properly in time. ha.

Here's the driver side, sitting as the passenger side should be.
Name:  EB262561-C080-4988-A26D-C967B8A7CCBC_zps2ckuufo7.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  190.6 KB
Old 09-26-2016, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by de_engineered
Did you get an alignment right away, or just eyeballed the arm length next to stock? Devil may be in the details there.

I had my car up on ramps when I was putting on a bigger rear sway, and while one side went right on, the other needed some massaging. I used a jack to push up the axle carrier a bit, which helped.

HTH
Yes, I already had an alignment right after I installed the lateral links - and yea it was pretty jacked up going in to the alignment after installing them at 'eyeball' tolerances. ha.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:23 PM

Welp... Messed around with the sway bar last night, removed the endlinks, got the passenger side endlink mount fixed straight down, attached the passenger endlink BUT it still had just as small of a gap between the mount and the sway bar AND I with the passenger side in I couldn't get the driver side to line up. ARrrgggg. Time to leave it up to the professionals so I can have a rubbing-free sway bar.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:16 AM

Consensus from M45 was that the fat rear sway bar and fat Eibach endlink mount were working against each other and they couldn't get it installed w/o rubbing. Options were to buy a smaller diameter rear sway or replace the Eibach links with ones that have a welded on tab for the endlinks.

Going with Whiteline lateral links so I can keep my fatty sway bar. Shoulda just gone with those from the get-go. ARrrrrgggg.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
Originally Posted by Saabaru916
Consensus from M45 was that the fat rear sway bar and fat Eibach endlink mount were working against each other and they couldn't get it installed w/o rubbing. Options were to buy a smaller diameter rear sway or replace the Eibach links with ones that have a welded on tab for the endlinks.

Going with Whiteline lateral links so I can keep my fatty sway bar. Shoulda just gone with those from the get-go. ARrrrrgggg.
Good to hear you got it sorted. Even better to hear you're going with the same setup (Whiteline lateral links, Perrin sway bar) as me.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:00 PM

Woohoo! At least that means I won't have issues with this setup. HA. 4th time's the charm.