i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Handling, and Brakes (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/)
-   -   Can anyone identify these parts? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suspension-handling-brakes-195/can-anyone-identify-these-parts-227198/)

02BlkBugEye 01-10-2011 02:29 AM

Can anyone identify these parts?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All....I had a friend with a lift help with some exhaust work and noticed a few things. I was checking out the front suspension because I have a worrying bumpy/rubbing feeling when I turn right. I understand this could be the center diff, but also could be the axle. Anyway, I'm under there looking and notice these two parts, opposite from one another, but one looks different. They're about a foot behind the wheel, right where the subframe attaches. The one with notches on it is kind of loose, but the one on the other side is tight. What are these and can this have anything to do with the problem? Here are pics...thanks !!! :noidea:

SJwrx08 01-10-2011 02:40 AM

do you have a missing front sway bar?

02BlkBugEye 01-10-2011 03:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, the sway bar is there. Also, I believe this is my inner tie rod and theres grease or oil seemingly leaking, and my center diff is dirty and sticky, while rest of the tranny looked much cleaner....whatcha think?

xhengmanx 01-10-2011 03:57 AM

those are control arm bushings

sigma pi 01-10-2011 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=xhengmanx;3004098]those are control arm bushings[/QUOTE]
cORRECT

It looks like one is dirty and one is clean

The second picture is your axle. I think the boot is torn. Time to replace the axle

* this is going off crappy camera phone pictures and not being able to really inspect it

xhengmanx 01-10-2011 08:42 AM

actually the second picture looks like the cv boot is fine but looks like you have an oil leak around the turbo area if that is a picture of the passenger side looking up towards the downpipe and the axle. might want to look into engine oil dye and a uv light along with cleaning up all the oil leak around there and then test it with the uv light to see where oil leak is coming from.

02BlkBugEye 01-10-2011 10:28 AM

Ok, the boot didnt seem torn, and I had the turbo replaced already when I bought the car. Would a loose control arm bushing cause this rubbing/bumpy feeling when I turn right? If it was my center diff going, what would be some symptoms to look out for?

MonsterGC 01-14-2011 07:31 AM

did ya make sure everything was tightened down? aftermarket suspension?

02BlkBugEye 01-14-2011 03:21 PM

I havent messed with the suspension, I dont have a garage where I live & actually live on a big ass hill, so It'd be hard to jack the car up. I had it put up on a rack recently and discovered the loose control arm bushing and seemingly loose axles. Also saw a bit of oil or grease on the right axle near the boot...cant figure out of its oil dripped from the turbo area or from the axle itself. Boot seems fine. The suspension is full Tien Flex coilovers with EDFC.