i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suby-shopping-maintenance-warranty-92/)
-   -   New member - Looking to buy (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suby-shopping-maintenance-warranty-92/new-member-looking-buy-44728/)

bhall 01-13-2004 10:33 AM

New member - Looking to buy

I am looking to buy a Subaru soon and wanted to get some feedback from some owners. Here is the deal, I am looking @ a 2.5rs or a Legecy GT. I am not a racer but I want some pep. My basic needs are manual tranny, leather, good MPG (I am @ 12 now) and a 2.5l engine (but I think that is standard now) I dont really want to spend more than 14k (new baby girl). What options do you guys think I should look for in that price range? Also is there any big differences in the different trim lines? In the Legacy the L and GT seem close with the exception of the suspention (which I can swap I hope), what else do I need to look for or watch out for.

Thanks for helping a new member and hopefully new Subaru owner!

Edit: Is the Forester worth anything? They seem to be priced low but that is usual for a reason.

bhall 01-13-2004 03:17 PM

I see how you guys are here. Dont want an other Ru driver huh. Anyways any input will be apprecaited.

Thanks

Kostamojen 01-13-2004 03:40 PM

This is an online forum, not a chat room. Dont expect a responce right away. I dont usually even check the forums more than once a day because it takes about that long to get a couple responces.

Anyway, I usually check the local paper or local dealerships for used cars, thats how I got mine. You can also check the Private sale forums on here and on nasioc.com for used cars as well as the regional forum that applies to you (I dont know what state you are in so it doesnt help much), but I havent seen many right now (the demand for subaru's actually goes up during the winter time :p )

Also check places like yahoo and other online car sale venus. I dont know alot of those places though.

You cant find alot of 98-01 RS's for that price, as well as ~98-00 legacies. The L has a slightly softer suspension, and smaller wheels + tires. Its not a big deal though, since yes you can swap them out or just get springs/shocks/swaybars etc. aftermarket as well.

bhall 01-13-2004 04:23 PM

Kostamojen,
Thanks for the replies. I was just joking around about the replies, I am used to the fourm format. I am in CO so the winter supply and demand thing may be in full effect. I looked at a 00 Legacy L with 25k on the clock for 15k and they will put leather in it for me. Does that sound about right? I am from the Jeep world so I dont know the pricing and avaliblity as well as you guys do. Thanks again for the reply and I did not mean to offend with my second post, was just kidding around.

Magish 01-13-2004 04:44 PM

an 00L with 25k does for 15k sounds a little high. I found a GT a while ago w/ about that for 15k too. Look around more IMO.

bhall 01-14-2004 09:24 AM

Imprezastifan88

Thanks for the reply. Do all of the Impreza's have the 2.5 now or is that just the Legacy? What year did they drop the 2.2? Also I read that the gearing on the GT is different than the Legacy L, is that tru and if so is it a major gearing difference?

Thanks for the help guys!

Darbowmach1 01-27-2004 06:15 PM

Great internet searches-

Some great internet used car resources are #1- AUTOTRADER.COM (luv it) next is CARS.COM , Getauto.com is nice also. You can look up older cars (under 1998) and make sure you do the advance search for all of them to get the right car that you are looking for. You can also use these resources to check prices of local cars to make sure your not paying too much. Good luck and have fun searching!

madrex 01-30-2004 08:09 AM

15K$$$$$

dude, with 15 grand you could get pretty close to a used 02 WRX. One of my buddies is looking at a 98 2.5GT with 30K on it an they only want $5999. With 15,000 you should be able to find a nice little gem. The legacy 2.5GT's have always appealed to me, they look stealth but a little sexy. laters, good luck on the purchase. MD

gdogg 02-01-2004 04:11 AM

being that kbb values just changed recently you can find a 03 legacy l for around 15k. we sold one here or 15k which had 6k miles on it. of course we were in it right. it is possible- - - good luck!