i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suby-shopping-maintenance-warranty-92/)
-   -   Fuel Gauge problem (https://www.i-club.com/forums/suby-shopping-maintenance-warranty-92/fuel-gauge-problem-54900/)

namitherussian 04-05-2004 10:40 AM

Fuel Gauge problem

Can someone tell me please where fuel gauge sensor is located or what the problem might be?

, my fuel gauge has been acting weird, i filled up a full tank twice already and both times the gauge only shows that it is half way, plus the arrow barely moves down, and i have been driving around for about 100 miles already after refueling last time, dont want to run out of gas in the middle of the road (that be funny)

Impooter 04-12-2004 06:51 PM

i'd assume the sensor would be on or IN the tank somewhere, you may have some water in your tank or somthing like that cause if the sensor was actualy BAD i think it'd throw a CEL possibly, i dunno...have you added any kind of fuel treatments or injector cleaner? one time i added injector cleaner with a not so full tank of gas and it made my guage act kinda funny for a couple tanks of gas, mabey thats it?

namitherussian 04-13-2004 12:10 PM

no nothing has been added what so ever

nic3krnnamja83 04-13-2004 12:16 PM

what year is it? and how many miles, if it has not been three years and not over 36,000 miles, my simple solution take it to the dealer

brandon

namitherussian 04-13-2004 12:42 PM

i am on the 19th, it is a 2002 with 28000

1600GT 04-15-2004 08:16 PM

It could be a couple of things. The sending unit (which is in the tank), or the gauge itself. Your sending unit works on a potentiometer, which moves your needle up and down in conjunction with your fuel level. The typical tank on the Subie’s is 15 gal. The gas light would turn on when 2 gal. of fuel remains (typical) giving you time to refuel without running out. One typical sending unit problem is usually where you know (visually) your tank is full, but the needle shows empty. Another is when your needle is flickering back and forth like a seismograph. However, from the way you explain it, I do not see a problem with your fuel gauge system, it might just be a vapor build up in the tank and then again, it could be something else. Your driving habits are also a factor on how fast that needle goes down. If your Subie is in perfect shape, and bone stock, fill it up and drive for 250 miles on your trip meter. If your needle does not go below half, there is a good chance it is a sending unit problem. For that you’ll need to take the tank off since you cannot access the sending unit from underneath the passenger seat like in most Honda’s. However, I recommend that you have a reputable dealer diagnosed it. Since fuel electrical systems are hard to diagnosed. Good luck.

SUBARU_TECH 04-17-2004 12:19 AM

its a easy fix.just take it to your dealer to be repaired under warranty.dont do anything youself.and you are able to get to it from insidethe car.simple test to determine the failure.

namitherussian 04-18-2004 11:16 AM

Yeah i had it filled full tank drove for 236 miles the gauge was exactly half mark.

1600GT 04-19-2004 08:20 PM

Thanks SUBARU_TECH for the corrections. I was thinking of another car from one of my customers while I was typing this, same scenario, wrong car, my-bad. As for the fuel gauge problem, I don't think there's problem as long you average about 300+ on a full tank, assuming the needle goes all the way E. However, SUBARU_TECH is right, do it under warranty and save yourself the hassle. Sorry for the mis info.

namitherussian 04-20-2004 12:19 PM

It is all good, i took it there, yesterday, the dealer is telling me that there was nothign wrong with it, they said they had it filled full and drained twice both times worked fine, he said they did reset my ECU, no major problems at all they said, ill see how the gauge responds now.