i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Subaru General (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/)
-   -   Timing belt skipped. (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/timing-belt-skipped-262713/)

Sufabru 12-10-2014 01:28 AM

Timing belt skipped.

Hello,

I just have a quick question for those who have the time to answer. First of all I have done a lot of research on this particular topic already, but before I start spending anymore money trying to figure out this misfire that my car is going through, I thought I'd come here.

So the situation is my car started misfiring after a timing belt change in which the timing belt tensioner was reused.

Last time I put the whole thing together the car wouldn't start and when I checked if everything was lined up I found that the crank shaft was not properly aligned with the given mark.

So the question is...could the timing belt tensioner be the problem?!?

1JavaBlk_in_Sac 12-10-2014 01:57 AM

Timing belt tensioner was reused - FACEPALM

ddavis 12-10-2014 07:46 AM

Yeh sounds like thats your problem. You will jump timing and sometimes you can hear the belt actually slapping or humming when the tensioner is bad.

xhengmanx 12-10-2014 08:02 AM

question is how bad did it jump timing?

Sufabru 12-13-2014 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=1JavaBlk_in_Sac;3573788]Timing belt tensioner was reused - FACEPALM[/QUOTE]

The car has about 95,000 miles. The only reason I went in there was because it was leaking oil by the crankshaft. My plan was to fix that and do a whole tune up 10,000 to 15,000 miles later.

I agree the best thing to do was to change everything...water pump, idlers, tensioners etc. I didn't have a lot of money and I thought I could make it work just fixing the leak for now.

I paid a huge price.

Sufabru 12-13-2014 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=ddavis;3573801]Yeh sounds like thats your problem. You will jump timing and sometimes you can hear the belt actually slapping or humming when the tensioner is bad.[/QUOTE]

I can't seem to hear anything coming from the belt or the tensioner. The problem is it was misfiring in cylinder 1, 2, and 4 I can't remember.

The second time I did it and put everything back the car was not starting. I actually tried and tried but the misfiring wasn't going away.

I changed the spark plugs and the spark plug wires. Ignition coil looks fine.

So yeah the last time I did it the crankshaft is not aligned.

I'm afraid to spend my last dollar for nothing =(

Sufabru 12-13-2014 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=xhengmanx;3573810]question is how bad did it jump timing?[/QUOTE]

It seems to be just 1 tooth or 2. Could my problem be the tensioner or could it be something else.

The car was running perfect before I tried to fix the leak.

I plan on changing everything this time. Tensioner, idlers etc.

Could my timing belt be wrong part wise?

1JavaBlk_in_Sac 12-13-2014 10:34 PM

1-2 teeth is ok, I skipped 4 and slightly bent 2 valves.

Sufabru 12-14-2014 03:10 AM

[QUOTE=1JavaBlk_in_Sac;3574618]1-2 teeth is ok, I skipped 4 and slightly bent 2 valves.[/QUOTE]

How did you know it skipped and why did it skip?

ddavis 12-19-2014 01:06 PM

Double check your belt number when you put the new tensioner and idlers in there. Also compare how it looks compared to the existing belt you pulled off. This sounds just like a bad tensioner to me. Sometimes you wont here it, sometimes you will.

Sufabru 02-10-2015 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=ddavis;3575560]Double check your belt number when you put the new tensioner and idlers in there. Also compare how it looks compared to the existing belt you pulled off. This sounds just like a bad tensioner to me. Sometimes you wont here it, sometimes you will.[/QUOTE]

Timing seems okay now but it's misfiring on cylinder number 2. I changed everything but the injector. I switched the injector 2 with number 1 and the code went to number 1 but then when I put a brand new injector in cylinder 1 the misfire went back to number 2...what's happening?

02RS25 02-10-2015 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=Sufabru;3584671]Timing seems okay now but it's misfiring on cylinder number 2. I changed everything but the injector. I switched the injector 2 with number 1 and the code went to number 1 but then when I put a brand new injector in cylinder 1 the misfire went back to number 2...what's happening?[/QUOTE]

anytime you skip timing its a good idea to get a compression/leakdown test. especially if you are unsure about how many teeth it skipped. Get a comp/LD test done to make sure you dont have any bent valves, causing low compression, in turn causing misfires. its a cheap and effective test thats worth the peace of mind
GL bud

Sufabru 02-17-2015 10:39 PM

I did a compression test as you've stated and what I should've done in the first place. Cylinder 2 the one that's misfiring has zero compression while the rest have 210. I plan on doing a leak test.

Siiigh. I wonder what's wrong and if I can do it my self.

1JavaBlk_in_Sac 02-18-2015 01:23 AM

Bent valves?

02RS25 02-18-2015 11:17 AM

thats what im thinking. could be unrelated. but after tensioner resused, skipped timing, then zero compression, im leaning towards bent intake