i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Subaru General (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/)
-   -   Throttle body's FOR or AGAINST (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/throttle-bodys-against-10481/)

acss 02-24-2003 10:22 PM

Throttle body's FOR or AGAINST

My impression of high-performance aftermarket throttle bodys is that they dont really improve horsepower or torque on import cars particularly. That biosed opinion is from my own dyno results when I installed one on my civic, the paper didnt even pick up the gains of horespower or torque which the companys claim they will add. I do know that they improve throttle response time but am not interested in that as much as the power gains claimed by the company who sells these throttle bodys. Now talking subarus wouldnt you also agree this to be the case with them to? I mean is it even worth the money, and man power for an almost infindecibal about of gain? Just let me know what you guys think and what your experiences with them are on your cars.

RichiQY 02-24-2003 10:39 PM

damn..

i am such a noob..

whats a throttle body??

zoinkssooby 02-24-2003 11:16 PM

it's kinda like a valve that opens when you push the gas pedal to let air in. you can find it underneath the stock airbox / the thing that an intake plugs into.
i have heard that a throttle body upgrade isn't really worthwhile until you get new heads and cams. and perhaps not even then. apparently the intake system is wonderfully designed except in those areas.

acss 02-24-2003 11:51 PM

Though like i said before, is it worth it for such an infindecable amount of horsepower and torgue gains?
Or maybe installing is like that semi old saying: How do you lose an extra 100 pounds off your dragster? Find sixteen hundreds ways to remove one ounce. What im really interested in is someone who has installed high flow throttle body and noticed while driving the performance gain, save the quick throttle resonse. Because i really dont think that they are all cracked up to be the way those throttle body companys market their products. Thats why im posting this thread, to see if im completly wrong or if others agree with me.

zoinkssooby 02-25-2003 12:12 AM

from what i understand, the answer is no. you won't notice anything from a TB upgrade without changing the heads at least and maybe not until you add on a turbo (bigger turbo for the rex). you will need to do many mods in order to acheive anyhing with a larger TB because there is no need for the extra air and it will be a waste.
the reason subies have all that low-end torque is from air velocity. if you open the breathing path you will lose some low-end but gain some in the top. my opinon is that you will lose overall if you add a larger TB.
hope this is more of what you're looking for.

Greystar 02-25-2003 02:42 AM

It's like with any vehicle. Putting in a ported TB isn't going to help unless you're outflowing the stock one. Even then (although unlikely from looking at it) it's possible you could still be outflowing the intake manifold itself. Then as was mentioned the head(s) and cam(s) need to be updated to be able to handle the increased flow.

acss 02-25-2003 10:57 AM

Thanks alot guys all that information was important to me. I wonder if even the fastest drag subis have a ported throttle body.

Kean 02-25-2003 12:20 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by acss [/i]
[B]Though like i said before, is it worth it for such an infindecable amount of horsepower and torgue gains?[/B][/QUOTE]

Not to be a grammar nazi, but I believe the word you may be looking for is "infinitesimal".

zoinkssooby 02-25-2003 02:40 PM

i imagine that a drag subie with a need for more air would have one. custom done of course to a size they chose. glad to know we could be of assistance. :D