i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Subaru General (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/)
-   -   Post Whoring (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/post-whoring-30853/)

Collins 09-08-2003 02:56 AM

Post Whoring

I've been a proud i club member for the better part of this last year. I purchased a 03 WRX sedan last Nov. and joined the club a month later. By reading and participating in forum discussions, I've learned an incredible amount about not only the WRX, but also other non-turbo cars, and gained an invaluable amount of knowledge and perspective about contempory car culture. That being said, Ive observed some disturbing trends in both posting and threads. I'm a neophyte to the "forum" world, but it is apperent to me that many of it's participants have no valid question[s], and very little to offer, other than their opinion. I guess this is innocent enough, but doesn't this "post whoring' devalue the whole concept of an informed exchange of knowledge and experience? Within our membership their is an AMAZING amount of cumulative knowledge and valuable experience. Why trivialize it with adolescent threads about , "Who helped you buy your car" and "What did your Mom say when she saw your Altezzas?. Would You find similar threads on a Vette site? Maybe, I don't know. I would think the moderators are really sick of this "chat room" mentality. BOTTOM LINE: Can we do something about this? Do you want to? Let them know. Sincerely[ a proud member], Collins

Cabal 09-08-2003 05:59 AM

You'll never get a signal to noise ratio of 1:0, but some forums are a lot better than others. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's just the Internet.

wrxman69 09-08-2003 07:56 AM

on the average, how much would you say your parents contribute to your WRX mods?

;)

nachomc 09-08-2003 08:20 AM

I don't see why these "post whoring" threads would be a problem provided that they are kept in their respective forums. If you want technical stuff, hit up the technical forums, if you want regional stuff, go to your regional forum, if you want Off-topic stuff, check out the "random thoughts" forum, and so on and so forth.

This is a "general" forum, meaning pretty much anything goes. Now, if someone posted "How much do your parents give you towards your car payment each month?" in the tech forum for brakes, that would be a problem, and the moderators would move the thread either here or to the off-topic section.

This is why the forums are categorized as they are.

jamester 09-08-2003 09:51 AM

what exactly is....

jamester 09-08-2003 09:51 AM

"post whoring"....

jamester 09-08-2003 09:52 AM

cuz I'm not sure?

Wutzdatbehindu 09-08-2003 10:11 AM

True...there is a lot of technical knowledge out there in the forum...but that aside, like sonicsuby said, there are forums for every type of topic that might also be as important as the technical stuff because in my opinion, the forum was created to meet other proud owners of their subarus and maybe other friends that you get to meet at the...uhmm...meets

nick van exel 09-08-2003 07:56 PM

i agree with all of you. also, my number of posts has gone up. yay! :D

bonkers 09-09-2003 02:00 AM

*shrug*

After a decade of reading bulletin boards, this is fine.

Try an 'Off Topic' forum* sometime if you really want to see copious amounts of trivial, meaningless (and frequently weird) drivel. :rolleyes:

(* Any Off Topic forum will do, they're all the same anyway)

downshift 09-09-2003 02:18 AM

just read the topics u are interested in, its that simple. ;)

jriggs 09-09-2003 10:40 AM

this is why they started up SCOOBYMODS. they do a very good job over there with sticking to the tech stuff. you gotta remember, this is also a place for all of us to touch base with each other and say hi :) it's hard to communicate......but these BB's make it really easy.

so there are some lame azz posts............here.....stop and think about it after you read these lame post topics.....

"who pays for your mods?"

"post pics of yourself"

"check out my altezzas"

"i hate ricers"

[B]"post whores"[/B]

see what i mean......your post is kinda lame.......but i don't mind....i even partcipated in your lame azz post about other lame azz posts :) see, this can be fun posting about crap that has nothing to do with subarus!!!!

and the reason that you don't see this stuff happening over on the vette BB's is because they're boring :) HAHA!!!!!

Collins 09-09-2003 04:23 PM

or maybe they're a liitle older. Actually I see what you mean. Just seens like there's alot of non tech stuff in tech forums. Take care, Collins

joltdudeuc 09-09-2003 05:40 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by downshift [/i]
[B]just read the topics u are interested in, its that simple. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

<aplause>

-Gagan

joltdudeuc 09-09-2003 05:42 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Collins [/i]
[B]or maybe they're a liitle older. Actually I see what you mean. Just seens like there's alot of non tech stuff in tech forums. Take care, Collins [/B][/QUOTE]

If you see something out of place, report it. If it's truly our of place, then it will be moved. I come in here and clean hous everyday. Moving threads to where they belong.

However, most people just don't search. Which is unfortunate. And that why the Tech forums get clogged up.

-Gagan