i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Subaru General (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/)
-   -   ?Good Import tuner magazine for WRX? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/good-import-tuner-magazine-wrx-82009/)

Red Bar0n 12-07-2004 01:26 PM

?Good Import tuner magazine for WRX?

What are some good tuner magazines for the WRX? & Why do you like this magazine vs others?

Thanks,

SiFuSpEc 12-10-2004 07:36 AM

uhh I just tend to read SuperStreet as I have a subscription with them, and if they have a Subaru in there, cool, if not, doesn't matter too much to me, I have I-Club.com and all the other Subaru sites :).. JDM Goodness.

Nick Koan 12-10-2004 07:38 AM

Subiesport has only had one issue so far, but it was pretty good. I like it cause its the first solely dedicated (at least in the US) to Subaru.

ish 12-10-2004 08:11 AM

[QUOTE=nKoan]Subiesport has only had one issue so far, but it was pretty good. I like it cause its the first solely dedicated (at least in the US) to Subaru.[/QUOTE]

i am going to be in issue #2!

well i should be at least, they did a thing on vegas subarus. i am in the group photo

DizzyWRX 12-10-2004 11:52 AM

I've always been pleased with Sport Compact Car. They don't emphasize too much with the "rice" as other such mags as import tuner.

D0WNxSH1FT 12-10-2004 12:09 PM

SubieSport = 100% Subaru Info

after that go for...

Sport Compact Car
Super Street
Import Tuner
Modified Mag
Turbo Mag

john steele 12-10-2004 01:53 PM

IMHO the better Mags for Subies are from Australia and Britian. These markets seem to have had more experience with the wrx, the markets in these countries have been established longer and the bogus products have been weeded out, the magazine articles are much less product placement oriented, and they seem to more likely to be forthright in realistically evaluating a product as suitable for the track or for the street. And they do not do feature articles on how to paint your car with flat black spray paint from a can.

Japanese import magaizine from Britain has had several excellent series on building WRXs for "fast road use" that have offered realistic build ups for a car to be driven hard daily over poor roads without attacting the attention of the police. This information, to me, is much more useful than the typical SCC article "an expert followed directions and installed brakes, don't they look bling."

Choku Dori 12-10-2004 06:11 PM

If you can read Japanese, I recommend:

-Hyper Rev (4 volumes, about 200 pages each, completely devoted to Imprezas; Vol1: STi Ver. I through V, Vol 2: GDB and STi Ver. VI, Vol 3: GDB 2nd gen, Vol 4: GC8 revisited)
-Impreza Magazine (self explanatory)
-Impreza no Subete (translates roughly as "Everything about Impreza's"
-Option Magazine (general tuner magazine; Impreza's are regularly featured and there are occasional special sections on them)

If you can't read them, it's worthwhile finding someone to translate it for you. If you can't find anyone to translate, it's still fun looking at all the pretty pictures and power numbers :D

gdogg 12-10-2004 06:25 PM

i buy JDM mags just to see what i can't get here unless i pay a crapload in shipping. Impreza mags rock.

i think super street is a little heavy on the [i]"import culture[/i]" side and not enough on performance. i kinda like turbo magazine...

hopefully subiesport mag excels in the mass market as well.

[color=lime][size=1]aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*[/color][/size]

dose84 12-10-2004 10:33 PM

i find turbo magazine often runs the same articles that were in sport compact car a month earlier. used to like scc but now i cant stand how they always use parts from certain manufacturers and rarley feature products from big companies like hks or blitz. like on their sti project car. they did like a 3 page write up on the praxis air suspension they installed sayin how great it was, then 3 months later they changed it (cause it sucked) to hipermax which was better but they only wrote something like 2 paragraphs on it. havent bought an issue since. read option. the pictures in there alone are worth it.

Br1t1shguy 12-12-2004 02:35 PM

Just wanna make it clear, you wont learn how to make you're car fast through reading car mags.

It's like saying reading cosmo makes ugly girls hot, or maxim makes douche bags cool, it doesnt work.

So like other magazines, you read them because they have pretty pictures and occasionly interesting articles that relate to the knowledge you already posses.

Donkey 12-12-2004 04:32 PM

Grassroots Motorsports-its not an "import mag",its a magazine about all types of racing and genres of cars.A lot of its focus is SCCA stuff.Lots of rally x and auto x=lots of subies.

HomerJay 12-12-2004 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=Donkey]Grassroots Motorsports-its not an "import mag",its a magazine about all types of racing and genres of cars.A lot of its focus is SCCA stuff.Lots of rally x and auto x=lots of subies.[/QUOTE]

I second this opinion.

GasPipe DreameR 12-14-2004 12:20 PM

tpr tuner performance reports
i got one issuse its pretty good. 20 page "inside the impreza" section

excessive03 12-14-2004 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=Br1t1shguy]Just wanna make it clear, you wont learn how to make you're car fast through reading car mags.

[/QUOTE]

Obviously you never read Sport Compact Car. There have been plenty of articles in there with good info. Like someone else said they don't focus on the "Scene" they focus on going fast. Every issue has the techobabble colum with nothing, but nerdy tech goodness. It and SubieSport are the only ones I read. The Brit and Japanese mags are cool for the pics, but the cars they get are different than US spec cars so the parts are tech articles are of limited use.