Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Cluncking/Jerking on hard turn

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Car Info: 2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-speed
Exclamation Cluncking/Jerking on hard turn

Hey guys, I've had my Impreza 5-speed for a bit more than 2 years now. It has 130k miles. When I turn hard to the right or left at slow speeds (in a parking lot or turning at a stop light) there is a jerking in the steering wheel as well as a loud clunking noise. First thing I checked was tire pressure which was normal. I took it to my local mechanic because he thought it might be cv axles or maybe low fluid somewhere, but all fluids were good and everything seemed fine under the car. There is also no uneven wear on any of the tires. It also only seems to happen after a semi-long drive (30-40 minutes). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Bill
Old 07-09-2018, 10:49 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
I'm no expert here, but here are my thoughts if you're saying the CV axles were checked:

- Wheel bearings
- sway bar mounts
- sway bar endlinks

i'm also assuming your differentials are fine...esp. your front differential. now that i mention it, did you have that checked for fluid levels? also, when's the last time you had the diff fluid maintenanced and what specific fluids did you use?

hope you get more feedback and good luck!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:09 PM

I just talked to my mechanic again today an he told me that the diff fluid was the first thing he checked and that it was very clean. I am unsure of the type of fluid that is currently being used. He suggested changing the fluid so what would be the best to run in my car? Are there any brands/weights that are better than what is recommended from factory? It only happens after the car has been driven for a while and it is warm, it never happens when first driving.
Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:17 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
i've personally had either OEM fluids or RedLine fluids used for my trans and diff when servicing...
Old 03-13-2019, 04:10 PM

Car Info: 2010 Forester
I have in countered that issues on my customer's car couple of the time the reason why that happens is due to faulty viscous clutch coupling inside your
transmission, so if you are making very sharp turns either left or right you might feel like your cars tire's are jerking/skipping or slipping MPT clutch inside your transmission have gone out what you got to do is remove the tail housing and replace that viscous clutch inside the transmission hit me up for more
detail 650-504-2132
Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Boxer555
I have in countered that issues on my customer's car couple of the time the reason why that happens is due to faulty viscous clutch coupling inside your
transmission, so if you are making very sharp turns either left or right you might feel like your cars tire's are jerking/skipping or slipping MPT clutch inside your transmission have gone out what you got to do is remove the tail housing and replace that viscous clutch inside the transmission hit me up for more
detail 650-504-2132
I appreciate your reply, and it sounds like that was what the issue was, but I ended up trading in my subie. Again thanks for the reply!