i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Subaru General (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/)
-   -   350z -> Wrx ?? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/350z-wrx-1773/)

blackjettaglx 12-01-2002 10:14 AM

350z -> Wrx ??

Hello everybody. I currently own a 350Z and am looking at possibly getting rid of it. There are various reasons, but mostly space and tire wear. I hoped I would be able to get by with no trunk space (single, no kids) but it turns out I haul a lot more than I thought. The other thing is tire wear. I expected the tires to wear out quickly (~15,000) but not this quickly (5000 but the dealer said this is abnormal, I can expect 8 to 10,000). I simply can't be bothered to put $1200 worth of tires on the car every 3.5 months. I have a few general questions about the WRX. I am looking at a 2003 wagon, 5spd

1. What are ALL of the differences between the sedan and wagon - not the obvious wagon or body parts. I am talking suspension, exhaust etc.

2. Will 15" wheels fit on the WRX? I have a new set of Blizzaks that I would like to put on it.

3. If 15" won't fit, how are the stock tires in the snow (first season on them only)

4. I have been reading alot about transmission problems. Does anyone know what percentage of stock cars have these problems? I plan on driving the car, but not beating it ie. no dropping the clutch or slamming of gears. I also do not plan on modifying the car extensively.

5. How big is the rear seat pass-through on the sedan?

Any help is appreciated, and any additional advice would be good too. Thanks

b_tapper 12-01-2002 10:33 AM

1. The wagon doesn't have as wide of a track, hence no fender flares on the wagon. The wagon has a 17mm rsb vs the sedan's 20mm rsb

2. 99% of 15" wheels won't fit

3. It's not [i]that[/i] bad in the snow on RE92s. (seems nothing is as good as my old jetta on snow tires)

4. My tranny has been "fixed" 3 times already, but it's taken 2 years of racing every weekend abuse

5. The pass through is tiny, you might be able to fit your head through it, the opening is smaller than the fold down armrest

blackjettaglx 12-01-2002 11:55 AM

What have the fixes been on your tranny, and how has the clutch held up?

I only have the tires, not the wheels, so what 15" wheels would I have to buy? Would the steelies from the 2.5 fit?

b_tapper 12-01-2002 12:23 PM

I have an auto...so it doesn't count I just enjoy *****ing lol. My dad has a 5spd though, he just has the normal clutch shudder problems with his.

For wheels...
Raceline RL-7
Speedline 2118
Compmotive TH2

Impreeeza 12-02-2002 03:27 AM

The thing is that you only hear from people who have had problems with their trannies. My friend and I both have 5spd 02 WRX's and we have not had a single problem. I'm sure the amount of people having problems with their tranny is far less than the amount of people not having problems.

John #555 12-12-2002 11:06 AM

blackjettaglx,
i got my '02 WRX sedan in Sep 02. it has close to 44k mi on OE tires. You can figure out tire $$ difference between 350z and mine :)

re: tranny... I dont go to the track nor autox. I do like to get on gas but try to be gentle on tranny - no WOT until i'm fully engaged in a gear. Still, I have the shudder prob, and rattle noise which could be either crappy pressure plate or bad bearing in tranny.
My dealer assured me they will find a fix for my tranny prob's but so far no calls from them in 2 months.

I've used rear seat pass-through for carrying 2 snowboards :)

jacobsen1 12-12-2002 01:43 PM

Pass through

1 Attachment(s)
I had no problem with my tire until I got in my wreck. Now one seems to wear a bit on the bumper... can you help me? I put 2 pair of skiis side by side through the pass through all the time. 188cm skiis are still just behind my elboe, and I'm 6'4". I can't fit my snowboard through it though, but it is a 175cm fatbob, so it is wide and long. I would say the pass through is 10" wide and almost 2' tall, but someone will have to measure to verify. My car is at a salvage yard, so I can't. My tranny did have the studder problem, but that was only when it was cold. If I let it warm up there was no problem at all, and if I played the clutch differently when cold it was still OK. It had 16,000 miles on it and was 9 months old when this happened.

Ditchhanger 12-13-2002 10:42 AM

If the Z had too little trunk space, why not go for the G35C?