i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Subaru General (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/)
-   -   07 wrx upgrades? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/subaru-general-30/07-wrx-upgrades-246381/)

rexman 201 11-16-2012 11:19 PM

07 wrx upgrades?

So here's the deal. I just bought a 07 wrx and all that has been done to it performance wise is a spt cold air intake... I am relatively new to the boxer engine. Basically what performance upgrades would be the best. I would like to be pushing right around 300 to 350 whp. Any dos and donts? I would just like a little feed back.

microwave 11-16-2012 11:36 PM

if its a SPT intake then most likely a short ram intake. you wont be hitting 300-350whp without way bigger turbo setups, not even with the vf39(unless tune with e85). do a full-turboback setup and a pro tune. will prolly net you 230whp safely..

DarkJuic3b0x 11-17-2012 12:56 AM

you can also slap on a **** ton of stickers and decals...kuz ya kno those things give you like +5 HP per situckerj!!!!

btw, im drunnk and I know it!!!!!!

Javirex23 11-17-2012 01:00 AM

07 nice! Get a full exhaust and a stg2 tune. Either Cobb or a tuner. The 2.5L is fun! I love mine enjoy it! For 300whp+ you'll need a turbo upgrade and supporting mods

rexman 201 11-17-2012 11:40 AM

What about a cobb accessport ? I have a buddy who I bought the subby from and he was telling me that a cobb accessport would be a good way to go then move towards a down pipe and so on? What's your guys thoughts on that ?

microwave 11-17-2012 12:41 PM

eh.. why dont you just go Open source. i got Stage 2 for the price of an access port. in the beginning i wanted an access port too, but went with open source instead. after 5 years im glad i didnt because i wouldve never used that thing. if you have a laptop, just buy a tactrix cable. almost the same thing..

Javirex23 11-17-2012 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=rexman 201;3318629]What about a cobb accessport ? I have a buddy who I bought the subby from and he was telling me that a cobb accessport would be a good way to go then move towards a down pipe and so on? What's your guys thoughts on that ?[/QUOTE]
Yeah Cobb AP is the way to go IMO. It's usefull for other things aswell not just to switch maps
[QUOTE=microwave;3318652]eh.. why dont you just go Open source. i got Stage 2 for the price of an access port. in the beginning i wanted an access port too, but went with open source instead. after 5 years im glad i didnt because i wouldve never used that thing. if you have a laptop, just buy a tactrix cable. almost the same thing..[/QUOTE]
With the ap you can check engine lights that come on. Monitor performance and many more features.... But also a custom stg2 is better than a OTS MAP from the AP. either one enhanced performance and makes a big difference, it's all a matter of choice I guess

Brfatal 11-17-2012 09:22 PM

Did you buy it from an individual? If so, ask if it's tuned for the SPT intake. If not, take it off and replace it with a stock airbox ASAP. That intake requires a tune to use. You can't run an OTS map with that intake either.

Heedz 11-18-2012 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=Brfatal;3318804]Did you buy it from an individual? If so, ask if it's tuned for the SPT intake. If not, take it off and replace it with a stock airbox ASAP. That intake requires a tune to use. You can't run an OTS map with that intake either.[/QUOTE]

Well this goes back and forth its the same on the legacy forum because our air box takes a huge bend between the MAF but, after all this, there's a few members including me running OTS maps/or equivalent in my case with no issues. The AP tune says only the Cobb SF intake which kinda led us all to believe they wanted us to use only that intake, since everyone else was using an AEM or KS intake kit. Who would know I don't think anyones gonna fess up to blowing their motor via intake lol.

On the other hand I say get yourself a turboback, headers, injectors and a tune on E85 with an STi turbo or something like an 18g youll hit your goals easily and have fun.

Javirex23 11-18-2012 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=Brfatal;3318804]Did you buy it from an individual? If so, ask if it's tuned for the SPT intake. If not, take it off and replace it with a stock airbox ASAP. That intake requires a tune to use. You can't run an OTS map with that intake either.[/QUOTE]
The car should be fine running an intake without a tune or on an OTS map. I ran my SPT for a long time on an OTS ap stg2 map, and for a few months as my only mod on the car. I never had an issue. I believe 08+ are the ones that are a bit more delicate with that but I'm not too sure on that
[QUOTE=Heedz;3318964]Well this goes back and forth its the same on the legacy forum because our air box takes a huge bend between the MAF but, after all this, there's a few members including me running OTS maps/or equivalent in my case with no issues. The AP tune says only the Cobb SF intake which kinda led us all to believe they wanted us to use only that intake, since everyone else was using an AEM or KS intake kit. Who would know I don't think anyones gonna fess up to blowing their motor via intake lol.

On the other hand I say get yourself a turboback, headers, injectors and a tune on E85 with an STi turbo or something like an 18g youll hit your goals easily and have fun.[/QUOTE]
Yes E85 is the power juice! Deffinately will get you to your numbers

Brfatal 11-18-2012 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=Javirex23;3318980]The car should be fine running an intake without a tune or on an OTS map. I ran my SPT for a long time on an OTS ap stg2 map, and for a few months as my only mod on the car. I never had an issue. I believe 08+ are the ones that are a bit more delicate with that but I'm not too sure on that[/QUOTE]

The '02-'07 SPT intake requires a tune to run. There was a reflash from Subaru as part of the SPT Power Pack to account for this. Your AFRs were off when you ran it like that. The MAF housing is smaller than stock. It's the reason I would recommend this intake: it's more restrictive than the stock box with a silencer delete when it comes to making power.