i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   STi Countdown (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sti-countdown-77/)
-   -   Waxing... (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sti-countdown-77/waxing-20897/)

Duckhead 05-31-2003 10:57 PM

Waxing...

What does everyone think about waxing. My manufacter date on my STi shows 03/03. Does the old 6 month rule still apply? Or can I put a nice coat on now?

Also what do people use for wax on theirs? Just curious...

Thanks!

phun 05-31-2003 11:49 PM

Wax

Hi Duckhead:

I'm still old school. 3 or 4 months before waxing.

Then, baby her with a pure carnauba. I like Mother's Paste - no abrasives. Great for clearcoats or regular.

Cheers

[img]http://www.freebmw.net/share/Smilies/NormalSize/burnout smilie.gif[/img]

b0rf 06-01-2003 02:50 PM

Can someone explain to me why you should wait to WAX a clearcoated paint?

Mind you, i'm talking about waxing...not polishing.

dougboudreau 06-01-2003 03:15 PM

I do the McGuires(Sp?) three step system twice a year. I started using the "wax and dry" (don't remember who makes it, but you spray it on right after you was the car and then dry it up w/ a chamoise) on my Subi and Audi w/ each wax (generally once a week) and really like the results. It allows you to get around the chrome w/ no messy white residue. Note: the wax and dry took about 2 or 3 uses before it gets that nice "just waxed" feel that I am used to w/ traditional wax. My $0.02.
Doug

Blue-Adept 06-01-2003 03:30 PM

Most Delaers wax the car before delivery. They waxed mine before they delivered it. I just waxed my car today with Zymol.
Blue

dsmperformance 06-01-2003 06:39 PM

3M

mysubaruimp 06-01-2003 06:45 PM

mothers is what i use, works very well. i am old school too and wait a few months between waxings

FlyingDutchman 06-01-2003 07:28 PM

Zaino Bothers is the best I have used and I have used them all including Griots and Zymol. Their Z-2 wax/polish is amazing.

Try them at [url]www.ZainoBrothers.com.[/url]

slimborama 06-02-2003 12:14 AM

All you potential detailers out there, please please PLEASE read posts from [url]www.autopia.org[/url] forums before you potentially ruin the skin of your new STis

1st Scooby 06-02-2003 09:38 AM

Another bump for Zaino. I have heard it is the best out there. We will just have to see. It is a little expensive for some, but I think it is totally worth every penny. I have never used it, so I am a little hesitant about applying it myself.

Jim

garlo 06-02-2003 11:03 AM

I spoke to my Zymol supplier, Larry Emmons of Emmons Coachworks, on Friday as to how long I should wait to wax my STi. He said with older oil based paints you needed to wait 60 to 90 days to let the paint cure. With the new water based paints, which are baked for curing, the sooner you wax the car the better. He recommended the Zymol Japon which works well on thinner more brittle Japanese paints. I have been using Zymol products for over 10 years and have been extremely satisfied with their products. Do not buy the cheap Zymol products you find in the auto parts stores, they're not very good. The Japon sells for $38 at Emmons Coachworks (emmonscoachworks.com). I'm sure you can find it elsewhere perhaps for less money. I buy it from Emmons because they're local and Larry is a good source of information. You'll also need Zymol's HD Cleanse product which is used first to prepare and clean the paint surface. It also improves the bonding of the wax to the paint.

essogas 06-03-2003 08:26 PM

No wax for me. I just go to Zeibart and get their Diamond Gloss Paint protector and shine which lasts 5 years before needing another coat. I go once a year for a spot check and that's it. Had my mustang done this way and it looks like the day I got it. No need for waxing. That's old school.

acarguy 06-04-2003 12:39 AM

Another vote for Zymol.

I've been using Zymol Carbon rather than Japon or Creme even on lighter colored cars. Carbon is often recommended because it has a slightly higher wax content so it doesnt burn off as quickly therefore lasting a little longer. I haven't used Zaino personally but a lot of people like it. I have some friends that used it for a while but ended up going back to Zymol......the water beads extremely well and Zymol really gives lighter colored cars a nice shine.

I was thinking about trying Pinnacle waxes because I've heard a lot of good things about them. But one of the reasons I haven't made the switch is that most believe Pinnacle is better on darker cars. It really produces a nice deep, wet look. I've spoken to some high end dealers and they all seemed to agree on Zymol for lighter colors and Pinnacle for darks.

After my first HD Cleanse and Cabon wax of my Silver STI the other week I'm reassured of my choice. It looked good.....just took me a month before I finally got around to it! haha

But hey....I think if you go with any high end wax (Zymol, Pinnacle, Zaino, etc) you should be ok. Just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.....there can be several hours of work involved if you wanna do it right!

snuffyrsx 06-04-2003 05:34 AM

Bump for Zaino....its the best stuff i ever used...and it smells good too.

-Snuff

p.s. although i think it looks a lot better on a dark colored car. gives it that dope wet look.

acarguy 06-08-2003 09:23 PM

Yeah I think Zaino is pretty comparable to Zymol on dark colored cars. I'd go with Zymol on lighter colors.