i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Stereo & Security (https://www.i-club.com/forums/stereo-security-70/)
-   -   iPod functions stolen from stereo/deck's connection (https://www.i-club.com/forums/stereo-security-70/ipod-functions-stolen-stereo-decks-connection-182706/)

twhitey10 04-09-2008 12:25 PM

iPod functions stolen from stereo/deck's connection

(Hope this is the right place for my question)

I don't think it is just me that gets irritated about having my aftermarket deck take control of the iPod's functions.

I am wondering if there is anyway to be able to change songs/playlists etc. on the iPod without having to disconnect it from the deck's iPod cable connection.

I have done some brief research and haven't turned up anything. My only thought was to open up the cable and see if I could snip one wire than takes the functionality away from the iPod, but still plays the system.

Any info/thoughts would be great.:D56CC97E5391454A915

jinorazi 04-09-2008 01:02 PM

what deck is it?

there's no aux input on the front or the back?

if its a pioneer, there is a simple fix but i dont know about other brands.

twhitey10 04-09-2008 03:58 PM

The deck is an Alpine... there certainly isn't a Aux on the front, and I don't know if there is one on the back. I don't think there is one on the back because when you scroll through the 'sources', there is no AUX.

twhitey10 04-09-2008 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
CDA-9883

[ATTACH]167127[/ATTACH]

VRT MBasile 04-09-2008 04:29 PM

you might be able to swap the iPod adapter out for regular 1/8" male connector, which then would allow you to control the iPod via the iPod. Or you can get a pioneer with "passenger control mode" or whatever its called

twhitey10 04-09-2008 04:38 PM

The passenger control thing a new deck I assume?

VRT MBasile 04-09-2008 04:41 PM

yes, its on new (maybe older ones too) Pioneer decks

jinorazi 04-09-2008 04:41 PM

looks like it does have aux input, it uses v-link cable (Versatile-Link), but looks lik its sold seperate, you'll need v-link plus rca to mini cable.

wont charge at the same time but it makes finding songs a hell of alot easier.

i just used aux in and cig. lighter plug that was hardwired for my ipod.

ps. nice deck

twhitey10 04-09-2008 06:57 PM

Do you know by chance if you have the v-link cable, with the rca to mini cable, what source do you play the iPod through? Would it be through the CD source? And if so, when the iPod is unplugged, can you still play cd's?

jinorazi 04-10-2008 10:55 AM

iam not 100% sure how it works but v-link cable acts as a input module for whatever you want to play through the speaker.

the v-link cable plugs in through the back like a data plug and there will be rca inputs on the module itself. plug in the rca to mini plug on to the module, mini to your ipod.

once you plug in the v-link, when you press source, it should go over to aux, if not, iam sure it can be enabled through the menu.

i dont have a v-link cable, you can acquire it from probably anywhere that sells alpine, ie. best buy, fry's, via online.

and if you reaaaaally want, i do have extra mini to rca plugs, i can give them to you if you're willing to drive out to concord :P
they're only about 10 dollars(cheaper than gas) at radio shack or circuit city, etc.

twhitey10 04-12-2008 07:06 PM

Thanks for the info, and thanks for the offer. I'll pick up the cables myself :)

juicy 04-13-2008 09:43 AM

It'll play through AUX. I have a 9815 and bought the cable somewhere to use with my iRiver.