i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Stereo & Security (https://www.i-club.com/forums/stereo-security-70/)
-   -   Alright, the verdicts in, I need better bass.Suggestions? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/stereo-security-70/alright-verdicts-i-need-better-bass-suggestions-50461/)

Wrxplaya11 03-01-2004 11:57 PM

Alright, the verdicts in, I need better bass.Suggestions?

Alright, here is the deal. i have had 3 different types of subs/systems in my 02 wrx. First, I had 2 12" infinity kappa perfects, wasnt really happy with them, they were ok loud, didnt pound real hard even. when hooked up to a rf1500.1bd amp. Then I tried my friends 2 w6's and still wasnt pleased with the clarity and loudness. keep in mind i have tried amps from the 1500.1bd to a 1600 watt xplod to a 1000 watt diamound amp and nothing seems to be hitting well enough for my tastes. I decided to give sq a try and am currently running an eclipse 10 inch dvc aluminum and although it is tight and punchy, i dont get enough sound. Now, here is my situation, I am 17. Now before you all say "17 w/ a wrx, was a spoiled brat....etc" listen up. I am only fortunate in the aspect my dad is an owner in a road construction buisness, so I have the opportunity to grade check and run compactor and all the other jobs. I found a used wrx for 18,000 with only 5k on the odometer and picked it up for 16500. I had already earned 12500 from working summers the past 2 years, yes construction pays 18-22 and hour. I am paying my parents back still. Anyways, this summer I am going to work full time, and money will not be an issue with the subs I want to get. I want bass that is going to hit when it is supposed to (not come in late) come in clear, and COME IN LOUD!!! Any suggestions as to what I should be heading towards purchasing? I have 2k in the bank, and my parents arent making me pay the 4k i owe them till after the summers over, so any suggestions on systems I could get that are going to really be "competition" worthy? I have heard good things about eclipse titanium, espicially 12 inch, i have heard mixed reviews on the jl w7, i have heard goot reviews on the diamond cm3? i think thats it, i have heard good reviews on kicker solo-barics, i have heard good reviews on the ma audio COMPETITION series woofers, the real high end stuff. Anyone have ideas on systems, or personal experience with these subs that could help me compare? any help is appreciated...Matt

wastingtape 03-02-2004 12:39 AM

Amplifier and the box the subs are in probably makes a large difference. Have you tried building and expiermenting with the box as well as the sub?

If you're looking for some flat out new ones, i've heard the TDX's are some of the loudest available. [URL=http://www.diamondaudio.com/MobileAudio/index.cfm?page=Subwoofers#]DA TDX[/URL]

justgo13 03-02-2004 04:22 AM

try some different boxes. Just beacuse the manufacturer says you need size doesn't mean you can't try bigger ones.

Wrxplaya11 03-02-2004 08:40 AM

Most of my boxes have been sealed, I ahve tried 1 ported and it just sounded like noise rather than pitch to me, the sub i have right now is in a 1.8 cubic foot fiberglass and mdf enclosure and it sounds good, I like the sound a fiberglass box seems to give, I have heard bandpass and dont really like them at all. Thanks for the advice, im really just looking for the best possible sub and your experiences.

VRWRX 03-02-2004 10:15 AM

If you truely want loud and price is not an issue, just go with a Cerwin-Vega Stroker. If you build the right box and have enough power going to them, they will make your ears hurt! An SPL speaker for sure, but they sound good in the right box. You won't be disappointed with the SPL...

silver satin 03-02-2004 11:30 AM

Man I haven't heard anybody talk about the stroker for a long time that is one ugly speaker but OH MY GOD do the put tout some bass When I lived in FL there was this psyco that lived by me that had four Stroker 15" in a Cherokee it was way to much I swear that thing was going to fall apart every time the bass hit....Those things are crazy :cool:

Wrxplaya11 03-02-2004 06:42 PM

quite honestly i have never heard of cerwin-vega. might be cuz im from Oregon and sounds system stuff isnt as big over here, i dont know, anyways ill check that out, thanks.

doughboy 03-02-2004 10:39 PM

the money isn't the point...you should worry about losing your hearing!

if you want both SPL and SQ, try to add more power and more woofers: how about 2 12" adire brahma's...you'll need 1600W RMS into each though.

VRWRX 03-03-2004 07:18 AM

[url]http://www.cerwin-vega.com/[/url]

Wrxplaya11 03-03-2004 07:59 PM

Im thinking of maybe a cerwin-vega 15" stroker. I think if I pump my xplod 1600watt amp(so 800 rms) into it it should be a fairly good match, I know, not the best amp but it produces a lot of power. Maybe I could build a sealed fiberglass enclosure like the one I have now but for a 15 rather than a 10 however there is a huge drawback to this sub.......4.5cubic feet of box is recomended! Thats a huge box. Even the 12" speaker requires 2.75 cubic feet. Im not sure I could fit 2 12" speakers and get any trunk room at all. If i did one 15" speaker that might work, any suggestions???

Wrxplaya11 03-03-2004 08:07 PM

maybe somethign along the lines of...
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3081231651&category=18804[/url]

Wrxplaya11 03-03-2004 08:36 PM

was readin up and I need to port the enclosure, ill probably get someone else to do it for me. I wonder how much a stereo shop would charge me if I gave them the plans to do an enclosure? I say this because I have no experience with ported enclosure building and wouldnt want to sped 20 hours on a box that sounds like crap. Any ideas?

VRWRX 03-04-2004 07:14 AM

I think one 12 would be adequate. You have no idea how loud these speakers are. And 800 watts should be enough power. I forgot how much space those subs need. But it's worth it...

Yeah, tuning the ports of a box can be difficult. If you aren't confident in doing it, then I would hire a professional.

Wrxplaya11 03-04-2004 12:31 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by VRWRX [/i]
[B]I think one 12 would be adequate. You have no idea how loud these speakers are. And 800 watts should be enough power. I forgot how much space those subs need. But it's worth it...

Yeah, tuning the ports of a box can be difficult. If you aren't confident in doing it, then I would hire a professional. [/B][/QUOTE]

from what im reading 1 12" in a ported box is going to be around 3 cubic feet. Is a 12" stroker going to be much louder than a 12 elcipse titanium?

VRWRX 03-04-2004 04:35 PM

The stroker will absolutely be louder.