Cobb stage 2 and smog

Old 05-09-2018, 06:45 PM

Car Info: 11 STI Hatch
Cobb stage 2 and smog

i’m planning to get a cobb downpipe and a custom protune and was wondering if the car will pass the obd2 readiness portion of the test. I am not concerned with the visual.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:48 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
My 2004 STi has a COBB turboback and Stage 2 programming from 13 years ago plus Subaru's CARB-legal intake. It recently passed smog with no problems.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by walt
My 2004 STi has a COBB turboback and Stage 2 programming from 13 years ago plus Subaru's CARB-legal intake. It recently passed smog with no problems.
thanks! With the 04, did they make you run the sniffer test? Or was it only the obd2 readiness portion?
Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 AM

Just the OBD plug-in. And to my surprise,the Accessport tuning didn't affect the readiness of any monitors.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Just the OBD plug-in. And to my surprise,the Accessport tuning didn't affect the readiness of any monitors.
Very interesting! Sorry -- going to bug you with a few more questions.

Which tune are you running?
I've been reading some of the stage 2 tunes deletes the code for the secondary cat, which would cause you to fail.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:09 AM

I have the standard California 91-octane map except that I had COBB raise the idle speed to 900 (so I can let the clutch out from a stop with minimal slippage). I expected a monitor to show as not ready,but apparently the monitor is changed rather than disabled and the cat code (P0420 ?,I forget) isn't triggered.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:35 AM

I have the standard California 91-octane map except that I had COBB raise the idle speed to 900 (so I can let the clutch out from a stop with minimal slippage). I expected a monitor to show as not ready,but apparently the monitor is changed rather than disabled and the cat code (P0420 ?,I forget) isn't triggered.
thanks!! Sounds like i can flash back to the stage 2 ots cobb cali tune when I need my smog. I was afraid I’d have to swap all my stock parts back on.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
OK a few things here..

1)the smog check does NOT read the map, they cant tell what map you have, or even if you have some warnings/sensors turned off. All they can read is if you have a code or not thrown, and that you have driven more than 50 miles since the last reset/battery change.

2)Visual is where they will get you, unles syou are smart enough to hide your downpipe with a stock heat shield.

3)Move to WA, we don't have ANY visual check up here. They don't give a rats *** what I have under the hood so long as I don't have a check engine light on, I am good to go.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear
OK a few things here..

1)the smog check does NOT read the map, they cant tell what map you have, or even if you have some warnings/sensors turned off. All they can read is if you have a code or not thrown, and that you have driven more than 50 miles since the last reset/battery change.

2)Visual is where they will get you, unles syou are smart enough to hide your downpipe with a stock heat shield.

3)Move to WA, we don't have ANY visual check up here. They don't give a rats *** what I have under the hood so long as I don't have a check engine light on, I am good to go.
Very helpful. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2018, 04:05 PM

Car Info: 02 wagon
Wanted to get a silicone turbo inlet, but found out it will fail visual inspection for smog. Thought about getting the black one and see if they even notice..
Old 06-13-2018, 08:17 PM

Smog here is ridiculous. I have an aos, but am considering selling it as I don’t want to have to pay someone to uninstall it to smog it down the road..

i’m considering just going stage 2 and stopping
Old 08-08-2018, 08:48 AM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by Overbear

Has anyone done this?? I'll be moving to Cali soon and was thinking about trying it out.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:16 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
I tried. It didn't work.

May work if a cop takes a look. But, I haven't had that happen.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:37 AM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru WRX STI
Hmm I figured there would be no way to tell unless they were looking for it. Thanks for the response though! Now I know not to rely on it.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
It depends on how much the looker knows.

Smog tech knows and will stick their head in there to see what's up. Cop will probably glance over it and nothing more.

My process (after making a table) https://www.i-club.com/forums/ongoin...3/#post3658529

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cobb stage 2 and smog