Bay Area Driving Roads

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Car Info: 06 TRD Tacoma
Bay Area Driving Roads

I stumbled across this site while on bimmerforums.com: Bay Area Driving Roads

There are some pretty cool drives on there and they are rated in a number of categories like traffic, difficulty, etc.

I did the hwy 130 up to mt hamilton today; pretty fun road. Too many bikers (as is the case on most mountain roads in the bay area) and the road is not in the best condition when you start getting higher on the mountain, but it was fun none-the-less.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 PM

Car Info: Hybwid Bugeye on corn juice :)
oooo nice. Looks like breaking in the new engine won't be such a bore after all
Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
A lot of these roads are already known to members on this site and generally dislike them being broadcasted. Mt Hamilton road especially, it's notorious for taking the lives of several cars of people trying to drive above their skill levels.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:00 PM

Car Info: 2016 STI
As a road cyclist, please be careful on these sorts of roads. Most of them are heavily ridden on the weekends and even the weekdays. Coming around the corner at 50+ mph doesn't leave much room to avoid a slow-moving cyclist.

I like Highway 1 and I5 through Mt Shasta for driving though. Prefer riding the rest.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 PM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
A lot of these roads are already known to members on this site and generally dislike them being broadcasted. Mt Hamilton road especially, it's notorious for taking the lives of several cars of people trying to drive above their skill levels.
yep.. tru that
Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Originally Posted by SkyeC
As a road cyclist, please be careful on these sorts of roads. Most of them are heavily ridden on the weekends and even the weekdays. Coming around the corner at 50+ mph doesn't leave much room to avoid a slow-moving cyclist.

I like Highway 1 and I5 through Mt Shasta for driving though. Prefer riding the rest.
I totally agree on sharing the road. But I use common sense, If I'm on a bike I'm going to be as far away from where a car travels as possible. I hate it when they're on the road like if they were a car!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 PM

Car Info: 06 FXT 6MT, 07 STi limited SWP
Originally Posted by SkyeC
As a road cyclist, please be careful on these sorts of roads. Most of them are heavily ridden on the weekends and even the weekdays. Coming around the corner at 50+ mph doesn't leave much room to avoid a slow-moving cyclist
This. Out here in Cali, drivers don't seem to be nearly as conscious of bikers as they were back in Colorado. I rarely had to worry about cars while training there, but here I would almost choose an indoor trainer haha.

Anyone down to do a night romp on Page Mill sometime? I just got back from it...it's amazing when wet. No worry for other cars/bikers when driving at night, and it's safer to go in groups.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:31 PM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru XV (Crosstrek)
Originally Posted by Javirex23
I totally agree on sharing the road. But I use common sense, If I'm on a bike I'm going to be as far away from where a car travels as possible. I hate it when they're on the road like if they were a car!
That's exactly how I feel as a fellow cyclist (although I ride a mountain bike).

As for roads, I found another website for that.

LateralG - Southern California's premier source for sports car and motorcycle roads, tips, and info

When I feel like driving on a fun road, I tend to go at night so no worries about traffic at all. And if there's opposing traffic on a one-lane, you will be warned by their headlights. It's really convenient that way IMO.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Bikes are meant for trails unless you have one ball and your name is Lance Armstrong.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
I have no clue why Highway 1 down here is on that map. It's infested with idiot tourist and giant tour buses trying to drive on those narrow roads.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 AM

Car Info: 2008 subaru impreza 2.5i
Originally Posted by Jodice112
I have no clue why Highway 1 down here is on that map. It's infested with idiot tourist and giant tour buses trying to drive on those narrow roads.
totally agree with you. except at night when there's no cars on the road
Old 02-13-2012, 01:12 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by Jodice112
We get idiot bikers on hwy 1 at devils slide thinking they can take the whole lane..... its a commute road **** off.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:06 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Heedz
Bikes are meant for trails unless you have one ball and your name is Lance Armstrong.
Hahaha

Worst place for bicycles is when they ride on highway __ (92/1/84 etc) during commute hours...bunch of f'n idiots
Old 02-13-2012, 08:47 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Soo many north bay roads missing from that map. Good thing too

-- Ed
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Soo many north bay roads missing from that map. Good thing too

-- Ed
Yeah, I know plenty of great roads too...that won't be shared so they stay that way.

Quick Reply: Bay Area Driving Roads