i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Sacramento & Reno (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/)
-   -   WTF is this TICKING!?!?! (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/wtf-ticking-246350/)

rymaggi 11-15-2012 09:09 PM

WTF is this TICKING!?!?!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reMFXH9rBvQ&feature=youtube_gdata"]My Movie - YouTube[/ame]

So i have recently been hearing this ticking noise coming from the engine bay. Its only between 2k-3k rpms. Does not get louder when going through the 2/3krpm range, and goes away after 3k rpm. Oil was recently changed with 5-40w rotella. Also had a compression test done recently 128-130 across the board. car runs fine, idles fine, pulls like a champ.

alien_refugee 11-16-2012 05:09 PM

kinda hard to hear on the lowquality vid. is it a metallic sound or a muffled kind of tick?

get an automotive stethoscope @ harbor freight and try to isolate the location on the block/heads.

lots of things tick on our engines, the valvetrain can be ticky, the injectors make an audible ticking, the boost solenoid ticks especially if its a 3 port and touching frame/strut tower etc..

it could also be mental. :) maybe the noise was there all along and you just noticed it (and freaked? i do it all the time)

rymaggi 11-16-2012 08:08 PM

[QUOTE="alien_refugee"]kinda hard to hear on the lowquality vid. is it a metallic sound or a muffled kind of tick?

get an automotive stethoscope @ harbor freight and try to isolate the location on the block/heads.

lots of things tick on our engines, the valvetrain can be ticky, the injectors make an audible ticking, the boost solenoid ticks especially if its a 3 port and touching frame/strut tower etc..

it could also be mental. :) maybe the noise was there all along and you just noticed it (and freaked? i do it all the time)[/QUOTE]

Yea sorry best I could do to capture it. We did have to mount the 3 port to the strut wall. Anyway to try n quiet it down if it is that?

WRX~Mike 11-16-2012 08:36 PM

I had to put my iPhone to my ear and listen hard, but I can hear a knock. I'd definitely get that checked out ASAP

xhengmanx 11-16-2012 08:37 PM

sounds like a valve tick or possibly a slight rod knock?

WRX~Mike 11-16-2012 08:50 PM

[QUOTE="xhengmanx"]sounds like a valve tick or possibly a slight rod knock?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking rod knock as well.

strider327 11-16-2012 09:06 PM

Rod Knock possibility is up there. Then again could be something simple like a loose bolt or a loose tensioner.

rymaggi 11-16-2012 09:06 PM

But it doesn't get louder and is separate from the rpms. I can hear the engine going and it's like this is separate almost.

Does not do it at idle. And does not do it when I have someone rev the engine when I'm looking at the engine with the hood popped.

Seems to be only under load.

rymaggi 11-16-2012 09:07 PM

I had vlad hook up his computer when I pulled a Cel a little bit ago. Showed zero knock. And has never shown any knock on the CPU.

WRX~Mike 11-16-2012 09:31 PM

[QUOTE="rymaggi"]I had vlad hook up his computer when I pulled a Cel a little bit ago. Showed zero knock. And has never shown any knock on the CPU.[/QUOTE]

When my Engine lost a rod, I had no check engine lights at all. My engine though sounded like a crap ton of metal smashing into each other. I had the famous ring land failure which allowed the rod to let go and destroyed the crank and piston walls.

thejordan 11-16-2012 09:34 PM

rod knock would be rough idle and compression would be off. vlad would be able to tell on his computer.

WRX~Mike 11-16-2012 09:39 PM

[QUOTE="thejordan"]rod knock would be rough idle and compression would be off. vlad would be able to tell on his computer.[/QUOTE]

I forgot he did a compression check, I agree with ya

1JavaBlk_in_Sac 11-16-2012 10:31 PM

Does it change with rpm or just stays the same at any rmp?

I have the same problem, very faint ticking/knocking noise. The noise goes away almost entirely when warmed up except for at really low throttle applications below 3k RPM or so, under load. Doesn't seems to be synchronized with the speed of the engine. Once I apply more than 10-15% throttle the noise is no longer audible.
The more you'll search on internet the more you'll find ppl with the same issue. My problem started about 2 years ago. I put about 40k miles since then and it didn't get worse. Some ppl say it's normal.

What's the mileage on your car?

strider327 11-16-2012 10:47 PM

Could be just valve tick or sticky lifters?

1JavaBlk_in_Sac 11-16-2012 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=strider327;3318474]Could be just valve tick or sticky lifters?[/QUOTE]

Probably that's what it is