i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Sacramento & Reno (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/)
-   -   official SRiC World Cup thread (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/official-sric-world-cup-thread-137317/)

dz 06-12-2006 09:45 AM

AUSTRALIA 3 : 1 JAPAN - [b]Final[/b]

UNITED STATES 0 : 2 CZECH REPUBLIC - [b]38 Minutes[/b]

Also FWIW, I did not start this thread, in my opinion - soccer is a lame sport played by the rest of the worlds population that lack the talent to play real sports. Seriously, they call the games "matches" how lame...

Someone moved a post of mine that was made in the daily thread in to this steaming pile before this thread existed. I think it was an underhanded, inbred, backwards thinking retroactive enforcement of a rule that does not even exist. But what do I know?

soggynoodles 06-12-2006 09:49 AM

[QUOTE=dz]AUSTRALIA 3 : 1 JAPAN - [b]Final[/b]

UNITED STATES 0 : 2 CZECH REPUBLIC - [b]38 Minutes[/b][/QUOTE]

come on USA. :mad:

dz 06-12-2006 11:30 AM

[size=6]UNITED STATES 0 : 3 CZECH REPUBLIC - [b]Final[/b][/size]

skimonkey30 06-12-2006 12:21 PM

Official World Cup SRIC Thread

I'm making this thread so people can stop posting scores in the ****ing daily thread

post em here

:tia:

Kevin M 06-12-2006 12:27 PM

Werd.

dz 06-12-2006 12:33 PM

[size=6]ITALY 0 : 0 GHANA - [b]30 Minutes[/b][/size]

dz 06-12-2006 12:35 PM

Where's the fun in posting them here when it does not spoil it for the 23 people in the USA legally that give a crap about this phag sport?

BMPR32 06-12-2006 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=dz]Where's the fun in posting them here when it does not spoil it for the 23 people in the USA legally that give a crap about this phag sport?[/QUOTE]

Umm right.

skimonkey30 06-12-2006 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=dz]Where's the fun in posting them here when it does not spoil it for the 23 people in the USA legally that give a crap about this phag sport?[/QUOTE]

Ok so you obviously dont like soccer

But amazingly there are some of us that do and maybe you can actually respect that and not ruin it for the rest of us??

Max Xevious 06-12-2006 12:51 PM

I do

pos 3-0 :(

dz 06-12-2006 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=skimonkey30]Ok so you obviously dont like soccer

But amazingly there are some of us that do and maybe you can actually respect that and not ruin it for the rest of us??[/QUOTE]
When the NHL is in full swing, I watch 2-6 games a night. I also check scores before I watch the game. The difference here is that real sports are worth watching even when you know the outcome because they do more than kick the ball back and forth to eachother.

Hell if this ruins it for you, that should tell you something about the sport. It is not like the outcome will change if you wait to watch the game before you know the score.

If it was [b]that[/b] important to you, you would be watching the games... uh, make that matches live...

skimonkey30 06-12-2006 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=dz]When the NHL is in full swing, I watch 2-6 games a night. I also check scores before I watch the game. The difference here is that real sports are worth watching even when you know the outcome because they do more than kick the ball back and forth to eachother.

Hell if this ruins it for you, that should tell you something about the sport. It is not like the outcome will change if you wait to watch the game before you know the score.

If it was [b]that[/b] important to you, you would be watching the games... uh, make that matches live...[/QUOTE]

I enjoy not knowing the score before I sit down and watch a game so I'm not sitting in front of the tv waiting for someone to score goals at exact moments it takes the suprise out of watching the game. I hope you can appreciate that since I know in hockey goals come at random moments unlike in baseball and football where you pretty much know when teams are going to score or not.

I would love to watch the matches live but I have to work during the day all I'm asking is out of respect for some of us who dont get a chance to watch the games live and prefer to not know the scores just dont post them in the daily thread and use this thread.

soggynoodles 06-12-2006 01:18 PM

You are right skimonkey. World Cup only comes every 4 years. It's a pretty special event for most of us. I wouldn't want to ruin it for people who still haven't seen it. :(

dz 06-12-2006 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=skimonkey30]I'm making this thread so people can stop posting scores in the ****ing daily thread

post em here

:tia:[/QUOTE]
You made this thread? Then why does it have my name attached to it? I certainly don't remember ever starting this thread...

dz 06-12-2006 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=soggynoodles]You are right skimonkey. World Cup only comes every 4 years. It's a pretty special event for most of us. I wouldn't want to ruin it for people who still haven't seen it. :([/QUOTE]
And the 22 other people in this country legally that give a crap thank you very much...

Mr. Furley 06-12-2006 01:21 PM

I dont think the game is too bad its the ***** ass rules & people that play it... if one hand gets laid on them they writhe around on the ground like someone hit em in the jewels with a baseball bat, i think the rules of the game are to blame for attracting all the panzies.

soggynoodles 06-12-2006 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Furley]I dont think the game is too bad its the ***** ass rules & people that play it... if one hand gets laid on them they writhe around on the ground like someone hit em in the jewels with a baseball bat, i think the rules of the game are to blame for attracting all the panzies.[/QUOTE]

It's the same with basketball. Someone pushes another player and they just fall on the floor crying foul. In all sports you're going to have that not just soccer.

Kevin M 06-12-2006 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=dz]You made this thread? Then why does it have my name attached to it? I certainly don't remember ever starting this thread...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for someone who hates soccer because it's gay, you sure pay a lot of attention to it. What's the deal man?

Mr. Furley 06-12-2006 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=soggynoodles]It's the same with basketball. Someone pushes another player and they just fall on the floor crying foul. In all sports you're going to have that not just soccer.[/QUOTE]

Very true but the more strict the rules are the easier it is to take advantage of it... and soccers contact rules are pretty wussified

soggynoodles 06-12-2006 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Furley]Very true but the more strict the rules are the easier it is to take advantage of it... and soccers contact rules are pretty wussified[/QUOTE]

In order to critique a game, you need to first understand it.
Watch the injuries and watch what most players try to get away with. Have you seen someone put metal cleats into someone's face? Or their leg?
It's not a pretty sight.

Why are soccer rules wussified?

dz 06-12-2006 01:40 PM

They don't even play a set amount of time. The clock runs out and they continue to play until the ref decides to call the "match". Are they giving the team that is losing that extra amount of time to get that tie goal because they hate to see anyone lose?

Mr. Furley 06-12-2006 01:42 PM

[QUOTE=soggynoodles]In order to critique a game, you need to first understand it.
Watch the injuries and watch what most players try to get away with. Have you seen someone put metal cleats into someone's face? Or their leg?
It's not a pretty sight.

Why are soccer rules wussified?[/QUOTE]

Just on saturday i was watching and some dude touched another guy on the back to avoid hitting him & the guy started rolling around on the ground like someone hacked him with a machete and the other player was yellow carded... stupid

soggynoodles 06-12-2006 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=dz]They don't even play a set amount of time. The clock runs out and they continue to play until the ref decides to call the "match". Are they giving the team that is losing that extra amount of time to get that tie goal because they hate to see anyone lose?[/QUOTE]

Well there are no time outs in the game. The only time someone can stop playing (but not stop the clock) is when someone gets hurt. (or it's 1/2 time) They extend the time of play to make up for the lost time (player gets hurt or removed from the field.)

soggynoodles 06-12-2006 01:45 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Furley]Just on saturday i was watching and some dude touched another guy on the back to avoid hitting him & the guy started rolling around on the ground like someone hacked him with a machete and the other player was yellow carded... stupid[/QUOTE]

What match was this?

True there are people that try to fake out the ref and get away with it. It's like that in most sports.

dz 06-12-2006 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=soggynoodles]Well there are no time outs in the game. The only time someone can stop playing (but not stop the clock) is when someone gets hurt. (or it's 1/2 time) They extend the time of play to make up for the lost time (player gets hurt or removed from the field.)[/QUOTE]
Well no wonder the ref issues so many of his gay rainbow colored cards for fake injuries. He is too busy being the scorekeeper and timekeeper to bother paying attention to the match being played.

Soccer is to sports as drifting is to racing...

Mr. Furley 06-12-2006 01:48 PM

[QUOTE=soggynoodles]What match was this?

True there are people that try to fake out the ref and get away with it. It's like that in most sports.[/QUOTE]

I dont know what teams they were, i was in a restaraunt & it was on the tv... it was about 7pm saturday night though if that helps. It just seems like way more people take advantage of the rules in soccer

Mr. Furley 06-12-2006 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=dz]Well no wonder the ref issues so many of his gay rainbow colored cards for fake injuries. He is too busy being the scorekeeper and timekeeper to bother paying attention to the match being played.

Soccer is to sports as drifting is to racing...[/QUOTE]

I dunno man i think curling and ice skating are "sports"

dz 06-12-2006 01:50 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Furley]I dunno man i think curling and ice skating are "sports"[/QUOTE]
I've always thought you were an idiot, now I have proof...

soggynoodles 06-12-2006 01:54 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Furley]I dont know what teams they were, i was in a restaraunt & it was on the tv... it was about 7pm saturday night though if that helps. It just seems like way more people take advantage of the rules in soccer[/QUOTE]

haha you should look at basketball. they don't even call traveling anymore. :rotfl:

eh7pm. must have been a repeat.

TitanSTI 06-12-2006 02:03 PM

soccer is possibly the worst sport ever. and dont say i dont know about the game, i played competetive and select for 11 years. then i found lacrosse and all those years of soccer were a waste of time.

Mr. Furley 06-12-2006 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=dz]I've always thought you were an idiot, now I have proof...[/QUOTE]

Why because i think soccer is better than ice dancing?? at least soccer players dont run around in ***gy tights with their man baster hanging out..

it is funny that they dont call traveling anymore, you can run like 20ft before they call it. They probably dont really call it too much anymore so its easier to dunk, and everyone likes dunking it sells tickets.

Mr. Furley 06-12-2006 02:07 PM

whoa

[IMG]http://i6.tinypic.com/148kima.jpg[/IMG]

GT35 STI 06-12-2006 02:22 PM

I played soccer for 13 years... I still don't give a **** about the world cup

soggynoodles 06-12-2006 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=GT35 STI]I played soccer for 13 years... I still don't give a **** about the world cup[/QUOTE]

I've banged your mom for 18 but you don't seem me bragging, son.

GT35 STI 06-12-2006 02:24 PM

[QUOTE=soggynoodles]I've banged your mom for 18 but you don't seem me bragging, son.[/QUOTE]

good.. I wouldn't brag either

Mr. Furley 06-12-2006 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=GT35 STI]I played soccer for 13 years... I still don't give a **** about the world cup[/QUOTE]

I think soccer is a cult... ive heard so many peolpe say they played soccer for 10 years then realized one day how gay it is.... i think they brainwash you or something

ryball 06-12-2006 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=dz]Seriously, they call the games "matches" how lame...[/QUOTE]

And they call the field a "pitch" :rotfl:

dz 06-12-2006 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=ryball]And they call the field a "pitch" :rotfl:[/QUOTE]
So is it fair to say that the person that prepares the field the "pitcher" and the players and fans are all "catchers"?

Mr. Furley 06-12-2006 02:44 PM

[QUOTE=dz]So is it fair to say that the person that prepares the field the "pitcher" and the players and fans are all "catchers"?[/QUOTE]

"If theres grass on the field, play ball!" :rotfl:

dz 06-12-2006 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Furley]"If theres grass on the field, play ball!" :rotfl:[/QUOTE]
[img]http://zanelli.smugmug.com/photos/74223312-L.jpg[/img]

Mr. Furley 06-12-2006 03:01 PM

[QUOTE=dz][img]http://zanelli.smugmug.com/photos/74223312-L.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

ACK the game i was referring to was NOT pocket pool..

skimonkey30 06-12-2006 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=dz]You made this thread? Then why does it have my name attached to it? I certainly don't remember ever starting this thread...[/QUOTE]

I did make the thread Kevin moved stuff around

[QUOTE=Mr. Furley]I dont think the game is too bad its the ***** ass rules & people that play it... if one hand gets laid on them they writhe around on the ground like someone hit em in the jewels with a baseball bat, i think the rules of the game are to blame for attracting all the panzies.[/QUOTE]

It is true there are quite a few "dives" in soccer. But on the same hand if two players are running full speed at eachother and there is a shove you can almost guarantee the player falling is going fall awkwardly and possibly tweak something..........the field is not made of airbags

[QUOTE=dz]They don't even play a set amount of time. The clock runs out and they continue to play until the ref decides to call the "match". Are they giving the team that is losing that extra amount of time to get that tie goal because they hate to see anyone lose?[/QUOTE]

They do play a set amount of 90 minutes. However as Ed mentioned there is no such thing as a timeout in soccer so when players get hurt, a fan throws something on the field, an equipment malfunction, or even when the ball gets hit out of play and there is a corner kick the 4th official (not the refferee or his assitants) who sits near the players bench jots down how much time it took and at the end of each half about 3-5 minutes before he will come out give us additional time per half based on all the stopped play.

[QUOTE=TitanSTI]soccer is possibly the worst sport ever. and dont say i dont know about the game, i played competetive and select for 11 years. then i found lacrosse and all those years of soccer were a waste of time.[/QUOTE]

I also played soccer for 11 years! I'm not in the same boat as you with regards to being a fan of the sport and I understand that. But can we keep this thread clean for the people who do care about the World Cup?

[QUOTE=dz][img]http://zanelli.smugmug.com/photos/74223312-L.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

:rotfl:

In all seriousness though everyone I apologize for coming off strong this morning in regards to posts of the scores in the daily thread and I understand that everyone has a right to post wherever they want. But all I ask is that we keep the world cup stuff in this thread for those of us who want to watch the games and not know the scores. Yes, dan I am one of those 23 people in the US who care about soccer.......I grew up with it mainly because of my family ties to Swtizerland I've watched the world cup every 4 years since I was 2 years old and cant wait till every 4 years when its World Cup time. So it really means a lot to me as much as I am sure the Stanley cup means to you.

skimonkey30 06-12-2006 03:44 PM

Italy vs. Ghana was an awesome game

Ghana did awesome considering this was their first ever world cup experience.

I cant wait for tomorrow's France vs. Switzerland match :D

Max Xevious 06-12-2006 04:10 PM

if anyone needs it, here is a complete list of games being televised

[url]http://www.soccertv.com/wc-us.cfm[/url]

Max Xevious 06-12-2006 04:19 PM

Brazil Vs Croatia will be good tomorrow

Mr. Furley 06-12-2006 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Xevious]Brazil Vs Croatia will be good tomorrow[/QUOTE]

Only if theres naked brazilian girls... man i love brazil i want to go to carnival so bad

dorifto88 06-12-2006 06:14 PM

lets go ivory coast and ghana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111

TitanSTI 06-12-2006 06:54 PM

[QUOTE=skimonkey30]It is true there are quite a few "dives" in soccer. But on the same hand if two players are running full speed at eachother and there is a shove you can almost guarantee the player falling is going fall awkwardly and possibly tweak something..........the field is not made of airbags.[/QUOTE]
are you ****ing serious???? your right its not made of airbags, its made of grass..... which is soft.

you think getting bumped and falling down hurts???

try having someone that is 220 pounds hit someone that is about 160 pounds with a 6 foot titanium stick in the chest, while both are running full speed at each other, hard enough to knock the smaller guy backwards and onto his head hard enough to knock him unconcious for 30 seconds even with his helmet on. i didnt even get called for the foul on that one.

you also dont see rugby guys complaining about the grass being too hard to fall down on.

soccer is a ***** sport and you just proved it.

GT35 STI 06-12-2006 06:57 PM

You must not have played competitive soccer... or goalie for that matter... I have never been hit harder in my life then i have on a soccer field, rock hard dirt is not fun to fall on either. Especially in door soccer, good lord can you get drilled...

Not to mention, last I checked, slide tackles to the knee cap was not very fun...

soggynoodles 06-12-2006 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=TitanSTI]are you ****ing serious???? your right its not made of airbags, its made of grass..... which is soft.

try having someone that is 220 pounds hit someone that is about 160 pounds with a 6 foot titanium stick in the chest, while both are running full speed at each other, hard enough to knock the smaller guy backwards and onto his head hard enough to knock him unconcious for 30 seconds even with his helmet on. i didnt even get called for the foul on that one.

you also dont see rugby guys complaining about the grass being too hard to fall down on.

soccer is a ***** sport and you just proved it.[/QUOTE]

Why the hate for the game?

Did someone ass rape you and tell you it was part of the game?
Like skimonkey said, this thread is about reporting about the game not banging on it. What benifit do you get for bagging on a sport? Tell me please.

GT35 STI 06-12-2006 06:58 PM

I don't see how you guys can talk **** about soccer, when there are sports called "Baseball" and "Golf"... :rolleyes:

TitanSTI 06-12-2006 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=GT35 STI]You must not have played competitive soccer... or goalie for that matter... I have never been hit harder in my life then i have on a soccer field, rock hard dirt is not fun to fall on either. Especially in door soccer, good lord can you get drilled...

Not to mention, last I checked, slide tackles to the knee cap was not very fun...[/QUOTE]
i played competetive and select and i was the backup goalie when ours went down, i played defense normally.

soggy: because i can. ;)

glenspen 06-12-2006 07:56 PM

It's sounds to me like a few cases of sour grapes cos USA suck at soccer ;-)

FW Motorsports 06-12-2006 07:57 PM

Hockey's Gay.

[img]http://www.gayottawa.com/web/gayottawa/hockey/images/OGHAlogo.GIF[/img]

T-Will 06-12-2006 08:24 PM

^^^
Picture of Dan? :p

skimonkey30 06-12-2006 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=TitanSTI]are you ****ing serious???? your right its not made of airbags, its made of grass..... which is soft.

soccer is a ***** sport and you just proved it.[/QUOTE]

dude was i responding to a commet you made? No I was responding to Furley's

You think I dont know Lacrosse is way more intense than soccer?? All my cousins play down in socal and I have played in a few pickup games believe me I know what lacrosse feels like. I played select as well when I was younger and I know there are way more physical sports than soccer. I was just making a point against Furley saying that soccer isnt a physical sport. I have a ton of respect for guys who play rugby and lacrosse because in my opinion they are way more aggressive than American Football and soccer for that matter.

I never said Lacrosse was a ***** sport so why do you have to attack me on that?

skimonkey30 06-12-2006 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=GT35 STI]I don't see how you guys can talk **** about soccer, when there are sports called "Baseball" and "Golf"... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

exactly

dont get me wrong I love to watch baseball but still baseball can be one hell of a boring sport

Max Xevious 06-12-2006 09:39 PM

[QUOTE=skimonkey30]dude was i responding to a commet you made? No I was responding to Furley's

You think I dont know Lacrosse is way more intense than soccer?? All my cousins play down in socal and I have played in a few pickup games believe me I know what lacrosse feels like. I played select as well when I was younger and I know there are way more physical sports than soccer. I was just making a point against Furley saying that soccer isnt a physical sport. I have a ton of respect for guys who play rugby and lacrosse because in my opinion they are way more aggressive than American Football and soccer for that matter.

I never said Lacrosse was a ***** sport so why do you have to attack me on that?[/QUOTE]

hah.. remember.. Basketball is not supose to be a contact sport either :p

Slack 06-13-2006 04:30 AM

All I have to add to this thread is, I´m in Germany....only for another 2 hours though. Had to suffer through that US game with a bunch of czech twats yelling in my ear.

BMPR32 06-13-2006 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=GT35 STI]I don't see how you guys can talk **** about soccer, when there are sports called "Baseball" and "Golf"... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

LOL , so true. Plus Soccer > American Football .

dz 06-13-2006 08:14 AM

[QUOTE=BMPR32]LOL , so true. Plus Soccer > American Football .[/QUOTE]

Which best describes you:
A) In this country illegally
B) Transplanted EuroTrash
C) Redefining the word "homosexual"
D) All of the above

My guess is that you will pick "D"

T-Will 06-13-2006 08:24 AM

:rotfl:

sybir 06-13-2006 09:16 AM

[QUOTE=Slack]All I have to add to this thread is, I´m in Germany....only for another 2 hours though. Had to suffer through that US game with a bunch of czech twats yelling in my ear.[/QUOTE]

My god, he lives. How the hell are you?

Mr. Furley 06-13-2006 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=dz]Which best describes you:
A) In this country illegally
B) Transplanted EuroTrash
C) Redefining the word "homosexual"
D) All of the above

My guess is that you will pick "D"[/QUOTE]

HAHAHA
Im putting my money on B!!

Kevin M 06-13-2006 09:28 AM

[QUOTE=Slack]All I have to add to this thread is, I´m in Germany....only for another 2 hours though. Had to suffer through that US game with a bunch of czech twats yelling in my ear.[/QUOTE]

Whoa dude, welcome back to teh SRiC! What the hell are you doing over there?

Max Xevious 06-14-2006 02:12 PM

awesome matches today !

dz 06-14-2006 02:49 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Xevious]awesome matches today ![/QUOTE]
[img]http://zanelli.smugmug.com/photos/75525936-L.jpg[/img][size=15]?[/size]

skimonkey30 06-14-2006 04:40 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Xevious]awesome matches today ![/QUOTE]

the germany game was the best

and tunisia scoring against saudi arabia in the last minute

soggynoodles 06-14-2006 04:48 PM

yes. I need to watch the sports wrap up

Slack 06-15-2006 11:41 AM

[QUOTE=BAN SUVS]Whoa dude, welcome back to teh SRiC! What the hell are you doing over there?[/QUOTE]

Just travelling around for the last 10 weeks, back in the States now.

mudman 06-15-2006 12:39 PM

Another win for England, that means we qualify top of our group and don't have to face Germany till later in the competition.

Kevin M 06-15-2006 12:55 PM

We?

Max Xevious 06-15-2006 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=BAN SUVS]We?[/QUOTE]

haha

soggynoodles 06-15-2006 01:27 PM

weee..
costa rica bye bye

mudman 06-15-2006 02:18 PM

[QUOTE=BAN SUVS]We?[/QUOTE]

I'm English, but I'll still be rooting for my adopted home, USA...well for the next week anyways till they get knocked out.

Kevin M 06-15-2006 02:26 PM

Ah, okay, now it's become clearer. :)

c0neHead 06-17-2006 03:37 PM

All sports are about heritage. USA has no soccer heritage hence no soccer love. But the other 95% of the world does. We just tied Italy (1:1), btw.

bemani 06-17-2006 06:25 PM

Goddamn it, now we have to hear them talk about another 'war' with Ghana now.

Galli916 06-17-2006 07:26 PM

Ha. I barely missed the game today against Italy. Own goal? That sucks.

Max Xevious 06-17-2006 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=Galli916]Ha. I barely missed the game today against Italy. Own goal? That sucks.[/QUOTE]

hah.. not really since it was the equalizer for the US

the 2nd goal that got called back was garbage :mad:

Max Xevious 06-17-2006 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=c0neHead]All sports are about heritage. USA has no soccer heritage hence no soccer love. But the other 95% of the world does. We just tied Italy (1:1), btw.[/QUOTE]

it has to start somewhere

and where do you think US soccer would be if there was not MLB, NFL or NBA and only MLS... think how deep our talent pool would be ..lol

always wondered how many good strikers the US would have if all the speed was not in the NFL

Galli916 06-17-2006 08:15 PM

Well what I meant was that it sucks for Italy.

Kevin M 06-18-2006 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Xevious]
always wondered how many good strikers the US would have if all the speed was not in the NFL[/QUOTE]

You would think 2 or 3 would have slipped thorugh the clutches of the NBA and NFL by now. ;)

Max Xevious 06-18-2006 08:57 PM

[QUOTE=BAN SUVS]You would think 2 or 3 would have slipped thorugh the clutches of the NBA and NFL by now. ;)[/QUOTE]

Starting now I think so. With the MLS running and being a good league to actually have professional soccer players in the US is a great motivator. With the MLS being around for about 10 years now I think, the soccer talent pool is getting good in the states. This MNT is the best squad we have ever put together, and half of them are playing in the MLS.

Before you would have to go outside the US if you wanted to make a living playing the sport. Level that against being able to play in the NFL, MLB, or NBA and I think athletes knew what they had to do to make money playing a game.

With MLS being a professional league in the US, kids can keep playing soccer in the US and have an aspiration besides playing on the MNT and hoping they can get picked up in an overseas team.

c0neHead 06-20-2006 11:36 PM

[QUOTE=Mr. Xevious]Starting now I think so. With the MLS running and being a good league to actually have professional soccer players in the US is a great motivator. With the MLS being around for about 10 years now I think, the soccer talent pool is getting good in the states. This MNT is the best squad we have ever put together, and half of them are playing in the MLS.

Before you would have to go outside the US if you wanted to make a living playing the sport. Level that against being able to play in the NFL, MLB, or NBA and I think athletes knew what they had to do to make money playing a game.

With MLS being a professional league in the US, kids can keep playing soccer in the US and have an aspiration besides playing on the MNT and hoping they can get picked up in an overseas team.[/QUOTE]

The grandstands are half empty in MLS games and the few people that attend are immigrants. If they sold 60-80k tickets per game (in other words, if 60-80k people were willing to watch MLS players) they would be getting paid on par with other major sports here. I was in Barcelona in 2003 and wanted to watch a regular Spanish Primera league game but I had a hard time getting the tickets. It was comparable to getting the Bulls tickets during Jordan's era. So its the heritage. If people are not interested in the game, the fan base is small. The TV ratings are low. The attendance is low... But, I agree with you, things are getting better slowly. The thing is, small countries like Spain, Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro, Lithuania, Greece etc. excell in many sports, not just soccer so the correlation between sport's success and the size of a talent pool is low.

Kevin M 06-21-2006 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=c0neHead]The grandstands are half empty in MLS games and the few people that attend are immigrants. If they sold 60-80k tickets per game (in other words, if 60-80k people were willing to watch MLS players) they would be getting paid on par with other major sports here. [/QUOTE]

Not true. MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL salaries are as high as they are because of their TV rights deals. The NFL is making billions from television, and that's almost all of the money used for salaries. Ticket and stadium revenues are where team operational expenses come from for the most part.

c0neHead 06-21-2006 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=BAN SUVS]Not true. MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL salaries are as high as they are because of their TV rights deals. The NFL is making billions from television, and that's almost all of the money used for salaries. Ticket and stadium revenues are where team operational expenses come from for the most part.[/QUOTE]

If there were 60k people in the stands, there would be millions watching on TV. I agree that TV deals and advertising is what brings the most money.

Max Xevious 06-22-2006 12:20 AM

[QUOTE=c0neHead]The thing is, small countries like Spain, Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro, Lithuania, Greece etc. excell in many sports, not just soccer so the correlation between sport's success and the size of a talent pool is low.[/QUOTE]

what the hell other sport are thoes countrys pumping out super stars at ?

Cricket does not count

c0neHead 06-22-2006 06:06 AM

[QUOTE=Mr. Xevious]what the hell other sport are thoes countrys pumping out super stars at ?

Cricket does not count[/QUOTE]

Spain: top 5 in the world in soccer, basketball, handball, waterpolo.
Croatia: best handball team in the world currently, pretty good soccer team, excellent tennis team (Davis cup winners), top 5 in waterpolo.
Serbia and Montenegro: won the last 3 of 4 world championships in basketball, best waterpolo team in the world, top 3 I think in volleyball.
Lithuania: 2003 euro champs in basketball - overall top 3 team in the world currently.
Greece: 2005 euro champs in basketball, 2004 soccer champs.

Kevin M 06-22-2006 08:36 AM

Damn, I wish I could watch the end of the Us match this morning. The prize for winning is just a ticket to get *****slapped by Brazil, but still...

soggynoodles 06-30-2006 10:43 AM

**** **** **** **** ****!!! :mad:

that's all I can say.

:mad:

Max Xevious 06-30-2006 10:48 AM

to lose 4:2 in PKs ... thats bad :(